Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-17, 11:57 AM  
Tugger31

There is a set of pushups in the beginning of the PS chest set but I believe that is it. You can obviously skip them. A step is used as a weight bench, but you could do the exercises on the floor or a stability ball. She does some chest presses on an incline so you can do that on a ball, but not sure how you'd translate to the floor, but you could just do another set of flat chest presses.

You def don't need a barbell.

I believe the step is used for step ups in the Leg workout but you could you a box or simply do another exercise. I would think about investing in a step, a stability ball or a cheap weight bench at some point.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 11:59 AM  
Tugger31

Burn Sets is also good, pretty sure there is a set of pushups as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Pure Strength Series though. Three full workouts on one dvd for about $20 is hard to beat.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 12:04 PM  
Shelbygirl

I agree...Cathe is the best for weights, heavy or otherwise. Pure Strength is a classic and Xtrain is great for weights. You might also want to consider Pyramids, which is a blend of both light and heavy, but you can definitely go quite heavy for the middle set of the pyramid. I've also been absolutely loving the new Strong and Sweaty series for weights. (I've been using it for the past two months and have seen some strength gains for sure).

Regarding push ups in Cathe's workouts...you could always sub in bench press or flys for the push ups. (It's what I always do).

Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 01:49 PM  
wlorrie

I think Chalean Extreme would be good. 1) It eases you into heavy lifting with the 3 phases. 2) The workout are shorter. If I recall correctly, they are all around 45 minutes or less; and on the 2nd phase where you go really heavy, the workouts are around 30 minutes. 3.) Less equipment- all you need are dumbbells and a band.

I've done the abovementioned Cathe dvds. They are great too, but Cathe and her crew use heavy weights from the start. You may feel a little intimidated. But you can always use lighter weights and work your way up what Cathe is using. Chalean Extreme did give me strength and endurance to do Cathe's stuff without modification.

Good luck!!!
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 02:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

best DVDs for lifting heavy:

Cathe Friedrich:
Slow & Heavy
Pure Strength (as noted earlier)
Pyramids (as noted earlier)
Gym Styles series

Kathy Smith:
LW2LW1

The Firm:
Firm Strength
Tough Tape 1
Standing Legs
Volume 6

VHS only - might even be on youtube:
Cory Everson Basic Sculpting System

Best books:
Joyce Vedral - easily found in the public library

Tips regarding equipment:
as far as equipment, if you have a step co. step, it's the easiest weight bench that you can pull out on the fly.

otherwise, a simple foldable weight bench from Walmart or craigslist will do.

if you have a weight rack, it saves your back from having to squat and get the weights into position. if you don't have one, store the weights on a chair. believe me, once you start upping the poundage, you won't want to keep squatting to get your weights ready.

eventually, you might want to get a bar with plates. I got mine at a garage sale for $20.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 02:37 PM  
desderata

Quote:
if you have a weight rack, it saves your back from having to squat and get the weights into position. if you don't have one, store the weights on a chair. believe me, once you start upping the poundage, you won't want to keep squatting to get your weights ready.

Seriously, why have I never thought of that??? Great idea!
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 02:53 PM  
TinaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Hold 2-3 pound weights together with heavier weights to make smaller increases. The low pound weights are quite small and can easily be held with heavier weights. Also wrist weights and weighted gloves can be used to make smaller increments.

I got 1,2 & 3 pound weights at Walmart for $1 a pound. They are coated with pretty colors and have lasted for years with no apparent wear. HTH
I do this too. I have soft 1lb and 2lb hand weights that have a soft handle that makes it easy to hold onto. I can add these onto my dumbbells to increase the weight. Adding just a pound or two makes a big difference for upper body weight training and these are pretty inexpensive.

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 03:09 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlorrie View Post
I think Chalean Extreme would be good. 1) It eases you into heavy lifting with the 3 phases. 2) The workout are shorter. If I recall correctly, they are all around 45 minutes or less; and on the 2nd phase where you go really heavy, the workouts are around 30 minutes. 3.) Less equipment- all you need are dumbbells and a band.

I've done the abovementioned Cathe dvds. They are great too, but Cathe and her crew use heavy weights from the start. You may feel a little intimidated. But you can always use lighter weights and work your way up what Cathe is using. Chalean Extreme did give me strength and endurance to do Cathe's stuff without modification.

Good luck!!!
Lorrie
I agree, Lorrie. CLX is a great set! I actually finished one rotation!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 03:32 PM  
cindyw75

I love the Pyramid workouts! The music is fun, and the time flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbygirl View Post
I agree...Cathe is the best for weights, heavy or otherwise. Pure Strength is a classic and Xtrain is great for weights. You might also want to consider Pyramids, which is a blend of both light and heavy, but you can definitely go quite heavy for the middle set of the pyramid. I've also been absolutely loving the new Strong and Sweaty series for weights. (I've been using it for the past two months and have seen some strength gains for sure).

Regarding push ups in Cathe's workouts...you could always sub in bench press or flys for the push ups. (It's what I always do).

Shelbygirl
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 04:17 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Firm Super Body Sculpt is another one where you can go pretty heavy. It's older so you could probably trade for it. I did it yesterday.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumbbell size, heavy weights, jari love, joyce vedral, kathy smith, weighted gloves, weights