Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-17, 12:40 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

New Callanetics coming to Mary's - talk to me

On Mary's coming soon page.

I don't know when the heck I'd have time to squeeze Callanetics in between all the things I already have and barely have time to use ... but I'm interested in these. The times are reasonable, and I read so often at VF that Callanetics gives people real results and also helps bad backs.

Thoughts?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 12:48 PM  
alisoncooks

I've done Callanetics Basics on the streaming site, as well as the bonus Upper Body Express on the Express dvd.

TBH, I'd skip the Basics dvd and get Callanetics Countdown. I liked the flow of its shorter workouts better, I think. (And you get much more bang for you buck with 3 workouts and progression.)

I really liked the Upper Body Express workout. It used a band to work the upper body and then some body weight stuff. Again, nice flow and I may get this dvd just to have this short arm-workout in my collection.

I wonder if it "helps bad backs" because it strengthens abs. When I was doing mostly Callanetics (January: I streamed for the month), I felt pulled in around the midsection...and strong, almost like I was wearing a corset. Supported in there, and taller in my posture. I just was realizing this week that this feeling was gone, and I've been determined to add some of the warm-ups/ab work back in my week (which is a shame cause I really DON'T enjoy the ab work, LOL).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 01:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Pat, i'm surprised you haven't tried callanetics! have you done any barre from other instructors?

Lacey Kondi, the instructor, has several clips of the initial releases in this new series on youtube and collagevideo.com. she's leading these upcoming releases and was the lead on the recent releases.

good VF threads to read about this new series (a few have been released on DVD and there are many streaming options on their site), particularly Lannette's posts since she's done all of the released DVDs and subscribes to the streaming option:
New Callanetics DVDS available to order! Total Fitness will also carry them.

Callanetics Countdown anyone?

Callanectics - How do you use these workout??

i've only used Callan's original releases, and i own 3 of Lacey's stuff - so far i like Lacey and it's a nice update of the originals. back in the day, , i used callan's workouts. it was my very first fitness video ever - on Betamax! you do get results, and it does help with bad backs. i find that you really stretch out your lower back and also strengthen the abs and hips. i was also able to improve my hip pain (IT band) using callanetics - the pretzel move for example.

if you can borrow the book "10 Years Younger in 10 Hours" from the library, it's got the infamous butt pictures - male and female. the photos speak for themselves.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 05:59 PM  
Lannette

Hi Pat,

I did Callanetics Basics today. It's just over 30 minutes with 75 pulses for most exercises. Lacey is slow and meticulous without dragging things out too long. That said, I do agree that Callanetics Countdown is a real bargain. The beginner session in that set feels like it moves more quickly but not too quickly. I think that's because Lacey pretty much flows from one exercise to the next. I don't think it's less of a workout than Basics even though it's only 25 minutes. The other two WOs are equally good.

FYI, Amazon has dropped the price of Basics to $9.99 and Wake Up and Wind Down to $8.99. Express is still $14.99.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 09:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you for the tips and feedback everyone. Jeanine, I have done barre, and lean more toward ballet type barre workouts.

I'm just concerned that Callanetics might be too repetitive for me, a/k/a boring. I will wait for clips!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 05:45 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Funny. I have absolutely no clue what Callanetics is. After all these years, I guess I should check out some clips.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 12:08 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Funny. I have absolutely no clue what Callanetics is. After all these years, I guess I should check out some clips.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 01:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thank you for the tips and feedback everyone. Jeanine, I have done barre, and lean more toward ballet type barre workouts.

I'm just concerned that Callanetics might be too repetitive for me, a/k/a boring. I will wait for clips!
Lacey, the instructor for the new series of late, is young, pleasant and gives some pointers. the set is bright, the music non-descript. there are both men and women in the cast.

I have Leah Sarago, and if I were to compare it to that, Leah might be more advanced than Lacey's in the sense that Leah has more sweeping movements. Callanetics is not dancy or flowing. more pulsing and focusing your mind on the muscle.

many have disliked Callan Pinckney's workouts as being too bland/boring. however, I like it because it's zen-like to me, and soothing. it doesn't have loud instruction like P57 for example. but she gives lots of form pointers and her books help supplement your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 02:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I remember that my mom bought the original Callanetics book and VHS when they first came out. I don't think she liked it too much.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 06:27 PM  
Lannette

I did Full Body Express this morning and really enjoyed it. It's just under 18 minutes, 50 pulses of most moves and I think 75 for the two ab exercises included. You can use it as an easier workout or take the form and pulses deep and work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I remember that my mom bought the original Callanetics book and VHS when they first came out. I don't think she liked it too much.
It was released in the mid 1980s. I used the VHS weekly for at least 15 years. The new stuff isn't your mama's Callanetics.

Like Jeannine, I love the zen aspect. Callan was forever talking about relaxing. "Relax, You've just got to relax." She meant for participants to position themselves so that the targeted muscle group was working deeply but everything else is relaxed. It's harder than it sounds and changes the way the workouts feel - well for me it does. No painfully sore muscles no matter how deeply you work.

It's definitely not for everyone but I'm glad I gave it a second glance.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callanetics, callanetics countdown, it band