Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-17, 07:26 AM  
Cher

Lannette (or anyone else), I have such a hard time doing that last exercise in Level 1 and I think it's close to the last on Level 2 (never got to Level 3....2 is hard enough for me )....the one where you are on your knees with arms above your head and swivel your hips around. Lacey says to lift up off your knees a little......I can't lift a little without it hurting my knees. I can lift higher but not sure if that's doing any good. Also, I can't keep my arms straight over my head without my alignment being a mess. Do you have any suggestions to modify? Is this exercise still effective if I lift up higher on my knees and keep my arms straight out in front of me?
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 08:20 AM  
mandie123

I have to skip that move as it hurts my knees also
Old 02-19-17, 09:42 AM  
Lannette

Sandra Hannah put up a post on FACEBOOK with a standing variation. I hope that link works.

In the original Countdown book a kneeling variation is shown where you're tall on the knees with just the slightest flex in the hips and knees are pretty much 90 degrees.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 10:20 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
Lannette (or anyone else), I have such a hard time doing that last exercise in Level 1 and I think it's close to the last on Level 2 (never got to Level 3....2 is hard enough for me )....the one where you are on your knees with arms above your head and swivel your hips around. Lacey says to lift up off your knees a little......I can't lift a little without it hurting my knees. I can lift higher but not sure if that's doing any good. Also, I can't keep my arms straight over my head without my alignment being a mess. Do you have any suggestions to modify? Is this exercise still effective if I lift up higher on my knees and keep my arms straight out in front of me?
Cheryl,

Don't worry for a minute about not having tried Level 3 yet. If you're being challenged by Levels one and two you're getting stronger. If holding your arms over head is too much it's ok to hold them out in front of you. I think Lacey demonstrates this in Level 1 or 2. Arms to the front and being higher are still effective according to the original Countdown book.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 02-19-17, 11:24 AM  
Cher

Thanks Lannette! The link does work. I'll try it like that next time since I was always just skipping it. Level 1 has gotten easier but I'm still working on Level 2.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 11:48 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

regarding the 2 knee moves (circles and the scoop), Callan said that it's an inner thigh move and as long as i have been doing callanetics (since the betamax days in the 80s!!!), it is really hard for me to activate my inner thighs during these 2 moves. i have to go really slow and mentally focus on it, even doing fewer reps.

the calves are not the muscle being worked here, if you can believe that.

the Facebook variation - you can activate your inner thighs a lot better w/o getting the calves involved. and if you don't have a wall-mounted bar like Juanita is using in the demo, you can use a table - instead of grasping the table (it might slide toward you), place your hands underneath, palms open and facing upwards like you're trying to lift it up, digging your heels into the ground.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 08:09 PM  
Lannette

I looked these up in the book, "Complete Callanetics" and found a great explanation by Callan herself.

Quote:
"This series of exercises works on the behind, thighs, inner thighs, lower back and stomach. The Pelvic Rotations stretch your thighs completely, while the Pelvic Scoop contracts them totally. The final stretch works on the thighs and stomach to complete the sequence."
She goes on to say that if your calves hurt, you need to stretch them more. She also mentions bringing your arms in front of the body and rounding your back to ease any calf discomfort. This sequence has never bothered my calves. I used to dread it but now I love it and look forward to it.

Old 02-19-17, 09:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

lannette - my calves and knees are fine in the knee moves, i just wanted to work the inner thighs as she intended. so i go slow to get the inner thighs involved.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 09:44 PM  
Lannette

Have you done the new Countdown WOs? Lacey does these moves very slowly so you really feel them.

I don't honestly think about it too hard. I feel my whole lower body as described in Callan's quote but definitely feel my inner thighs simply by picturing myself being lifted by/held up by my inner thighs.

Old 02-20-17, 10:33 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
regarding the 2 knee moves (circles and the scoop)...the Facebook variation...and if you don't have a wall-mounted bar like Juanita is using in the demo, you can use a table - instead of grasping the table (it might slide toward you), place your hands underneath, palms open and facing upwards like you're trying to lift it up, digging your heels into the ground.
I do this exercise and hip and lat stretches usually using my fluidity bar but the kitchen sink also works well. If the edges of the counter are too sharp, use a pot holder or towel to cushion your hands. I've been doing this for years and was amused to find that Finis Jhung has what he calls "Kitchen Sink" stretches in his Ballet Plus dvd.

Tags
callanetics, callanetics countdown