Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-16, 03:21 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Ultimate Yogi review by Dysfunctional Parrot

DysParr nails it. I pretty much agree with everything he wrote. Especially about Travis's non-stop talking. DP does have some positives to say about UY, and I agree with those as well. DP writes some of the funniest workout video reviews I've seen and I'm always glad when he posts a new one.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-16, 04:59 PM  
mtngoat

I enjoyed that review very much - thanks for posting!

I'm in the 'Travis doesn't get-on-my-every-last-nerve camp', but I can see DP's point!

I laughed out loud at his captioned illustrations. I'm going to check out some prior reviews - thanks again!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-16, 05:40 PM  
cherimac

Oh. My. Goodness. I laughed so hard. It's like someone knew exactly what I thought about UY and Travis and why I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I know it's a fabulous program but it just wasn't for me.
Old 07-04-16, 06:04 PM  
BunnyHop

Ah, yes, that last nerve.

His voice gets me right there, every time.

Good review, reminds me why I don't want to get this one for my very own.
Old 07-04-16, 06:56 PM  
isebelleg44

I have been looking forward to this review, as I was curious what he thought of Ultimate Yogi. I loved this set and it is what got me practicing yoga on a regular basis. There is no one that cues as well as Travis IMHO.

I have been using Udaya for yoga for the last couple of years and also added MyYogaWorks in the past year, so I rarely use UY. I remember doing UY Flexibility (one of my favorites) a few months back and Travis's nonstop talking drove me nuts. Funny the only time his chatter ever bothered me before was in the Yin practice.

I do still do his Short & Sweet DVD on a more regular basis, as it is voice over and no chatter.

I definitely like UY more than Dysfunctional Parrot, but might agree more with his review when I revisit these practices.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-16, 11:21 PM  
Cafelattee

I LOL and totally agree and all I did was watch it and knew it was not for me. I couldn't imagine doing the whole series .
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 10:00 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Funny article!

UY is the shortest rotation I ever started. I did ONE workout and didn't want to do the next. (The next shortest rotation was Tai Cheng. I did two workouts before bailing.)

UY was too advanced for me. I have done some of the individual routines here and there. I have his beginner DVD which is good.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 05:56 PM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
There is no one that cues as well as Travis IMHO.
Agree.

I was LOL'ing at his review and agreed with a few of his points. I've never done JUST the 108 days of UY exclusively, though, but really enjoy the classes randomly in my rotations as I love the fabulous music/pose combinations that are synced to perfection. (Surprised he didn't accentuate that more....since that feature alone is what makes this set outstanding, IMO).

But this sentence about Travis just cracked me up:
"He has less voice intonation than Siri." Hilarious! Yes, you either love him or hate him. I guess I'm in the "love" camp and wish he'd come out with a UY2!

Thanks for sharing! I really enjoy DP's reviews.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 06:08 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I get an error page, am I the only one? I used to be able to access his site.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 06:19 PM  
Tanja

Quick, someone send the Dysfunctional Parrot a copy of Rudi's Yoga Warrior 365. I bet The Parrot will change his mind about Travis talking too much after doing Rudi's twelve routines.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dysfunctional parrot, reviews, travis eliot, ultimate yogi