Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-16, 10:27 AM  
carolyn jane

I find Margaret's letter insulting and ill-informed. She is making generalizations that are not supportable which in my mind discredits her as an expert.

Years ago I enjoyed working out with some of her DVDs, but I stopped working out with her in recent years because I do not think she looks fit at all anymore. I do not find her to be an "inspiration" for older exercisers as she seems to want to be.
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 11:01 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
50 really isn't that old. VFer's aren't the only over-50 crowd who are physically fit and active, and most non-exercisers who want to become active have many resources available to them. That's great that MR has really helped you and you should keep it up. But her way isn't the only way, and I don't think the over-50 crowd needs necessarily needs MR to be their savior.
50 isn't old AT ALL, lol! I think the notion that us old folks who are over 50 don't do any serious, hard core exercise is so old hat, so hackneyed. This just isn't the case anymore. I've no fricken' clue where this notion comes from.
Old 04-21-16, 11:02 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
That letter looks like a job application. Maybe she's hoping they will pay her for articles and videos.
This occurred to me too. It's a reasonable way to go about it really.
Old 04-21-16, 11:24 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
This occurred to me too. It's a reasonable way to go about it really.
Denise Austin had done the same thing with The Jack LaLanne Show way back in the day; if the young could do it, so could Margaret Richard.
Not that I'm a fan of hers; in those days, I couldn't stand her snark (references to playing Gershwin?); but its also having been in my heyday, many acquaintances swore by her show. Maybe non-Boomers on this thread don't understand.

Bad knees anyway, can't squat or lunge deeply. Have to do backwards lunges; no touching of the floor in forward bending - the works!

Osteoarthritis being a thing.

You go, Margaret Richard!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 02:41 PM  
muffins135

What are Margaret's credentials?
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 03:13 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Meh.

Wish AARP would leave me the heck alone though.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 03:15 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins135 View Post
What are Margaret's credentials?
She was a dancer. And Shape Magazine loved her 30 years ago. http://www.bodyelectrictv.com/about/

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 03:17 PM  
Chomper

Not sure?

http://www.bodyelectrictv.com/about/

She will always have a special place in my heart for being the first female strength training role model in my life via her pbs show when I was a preteen.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 03:19 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
I find Margaret's letter insulting and ill-informed. She is making generalizations that are not supportable which in my mind discredits her as an expert.

Years ago I enjoyed working out with some of her DVDs, but I stopped working out with her in recent years because I do not think she looks fit at all anymore. I do not find her to be an "inspiration" for older exercisers as she seems to want to be.
I think Margaret Richard looks lovely. I do not confuse body fat percentage with fitness.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 07:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I think Margaret Richard looks lovely. I do not confuse body fat percentage with fitness.
Agreed.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aarp, aging, cane fu, ernestine shepherd, margaret richard, margaret richard rotation, national institute aging, senior exercise