Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-16, 07:09 AM  
desie

I interpreted the last bit of the article to mean that stress comes from other areas of our lives too. Sometimes relaxation and enjoyment and calm, peace are needed rather than attempting a challenging workout. The body needs time to heal and recover.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 08:01 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
I interpreted the last bit of the article to mean that stress comes from other areas of our lives too. Sometimes relaxation and enjoyment and calm, peace are needed rather than attempting a challenging workout. The body needs time to heal and recover.
That's how I took it, too.
Old 01-17-16, 08:40 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
I was referring to the article Tinier Tina linked to. The end of that article is confusing.
I had no problem understanding Sadie Lincoln and completely agree with the message of that article.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 08:51 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
<snip>
Where I live, moms come in all shapes and there seems to be no obsession with working out and looking a certain way. There are other obsessions, of course, so this is a good reminder that everyone has their own load in life and we should all focus on our own lives and what we can and can't do during each season.

Cherimac, thanks for sharing that article! I'm encouraged when I see an attitude like Sadie's in a fitness role-model. I especially liked her honesty in admitting that she struggles too.
I hadn't seen your post, for some reason, just Desie's. I thought she was responding to Bettina.

You bring up a great point here. It's not easy to find balance. I read an article about this our last 5-10 pounds are often the result of our indulging and enjoying life without obsessing about perfection(my interpretation of it) and that helped my mindset too.
Old 01-17-16, 10:43 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
I was referring to the article Tinier Tina linked to. The end of that article is confusing.
I had no problem understanding Sadie Lincoln and completely agree with the message of that article.
The last part of the article that I linked to, takes the position (you have to remember that—editorially speaking—it's coming from a centrist to left-of-center political place... many people don't share that politics ...) ... that all these aphorisms and spiritual palimpsests on what is essentially a self-indulgent (if the program is physically grueling, the environment is plush), expensive boutique workout ... accomplish not much more than an enhanced (if multi-tasking) form of selfish, self-absorbed, non-altruistic navel gazing ...

Any implied value judgments (italicized) could refer to this philosophy... Tikkun Olam, taken from the Hebrew, means healing the world (but starting with yourself) ... BUT... if it stays with yourself and does not go any further ... ?

If you leave SoulCycle but still are an out-and-out jerk, even if (in this instance) to your husband or your Sugar Daddy or your precious privileged kids ... or to your neighbors, or to your debtors or clients; what have these spiritual practices taught you ?

doesn't surprise me that there are no comments to that article ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 11:04 AM  
cdayley

Thanks for sharing the article, Cheri. I love it!

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 11:28 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
I took it to mean that just going to a class like Soul Cycle and hearing trite reminders to be mindful and soulful is not enough actually achieve mindfulness and growth as a person. I think it could be compared to the mindset that just going to church once a week is fulfilling all of one's religious needs/duties.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 03:53 PM  
topfitmama

Thanks for clarifying, Bettina and Chomper.
I'll have to go back and re-read the article more carefully, see if I get the same message.

Chomper, thanks for the analogy.
Old 01-17-16, 03:58 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
It's not easy to find balance. I read an article about this our last 5-10 pounds are often the result of our indulging and enjoying life without obsessing about perfection(my interpretation of it) and that helped my mindset too.
That is so true! I guess we need to remind ourselves that there's more to life than the size of jeans we wear.
Have you ever heard the expression "happy weight"? I'm assuming that would be the weight you achieve when you find balance and are living life as healthily and actively as possible, while still enjoying some treats and not living to exercise.
Old 01-17-16, 04:01 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I loved that article Cherimac. Thanks for posting. Shows why I love Sadie so much even though I don't currently do Barre3 workouts.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, barre3, exercise intensity, sadie lincoln, stress