Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-16, 01:33 PM  
cherimac

Sadie Lincoln article "5 Times When Exercise is Not the Answer."

I think this is FANTASTIC. Yet another reason I think so highly of Sadie Lincoln. It's all about balance, isn't it?

What do you guys think?

5 Times Exercise Is Not The Answer
Old 01-16-16, 01:45 PM  
Kitten

It's a good article. I figured out what she said on my own. It took me years, of course, to do so. It's why I was finally successful last year with my weight loss after so many failed attempts.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 01:50 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

This article sums up many of the reasons why I gave up on suffer fest type workouts and am all about the "less is more" type workouts. I had my paradigm shift when Yoga Booty Ballet was popular here, and some of us started noticing that while doing the YBB rotation, that despite not doing HIIT or lifting heavy, and while actually having fun and smiling while working out, we began losing weight!

Thanks for sharing Cheri - I agree, Sadie really "gets it."
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 01:52 PM  
PhyllisG

I agree with Sadie. I began questioning the no pain no gain concept a few years ago. I want to be fit not aching, stiff, or complaining about exercise related injuries. To me that was not being fit. I realized that there are times to push yourself but I also saw how good I felt say after an Ellen Barrett workout.
I was never into how many calories a particular workout burned. I thought if I ate well that would take care of itself.
I like Sadie and her Barre3 workouts and now I have a new respect for her.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 01:55 PM  
cherimac

Kitten~I think Sadie found that out to be true through her own trial and error with pain, gaining weight, etc. too. I didn't buy the course she has with MBG but have heard her talk about her background.

Pat~sometimes I think we all need that reminder, don't we? I agree, YBB, Ellen, etc. are great examples of this.

I'm NOT anti-HIIT, lifting heavy, etc, Again, it's all about balance and listening to your body.
Old 01-16-16, 02:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

awesome and well said.

i happen to be a Sadie fan, but even if i weren't, so glad she said these statements so profoundly.

a great amen to #1.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 02:37 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Love it! Sometimes I need to remind myself not to push too hard...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 04:15 PM  
Chomper

Excellent, thank you!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 05:59 PM  
TinierTina

It could be a chain reaction in all but the most Stress-Resilient

High-endurance or high-pain workouts will lead to the cortisol effect and maybe even adrenal fatigue if you do it too frequently or too many times in succession. And that could lead to weight gain, inflammation, bloating, real fatigue, depression, loss of concentration and worsen your ability to sleep, etc.

Except in accomplished athletes; or the most stress-resilient (formerly known as "Type A"s or "The Director" personalities).

Or those relieved of day-to-day challenges of living (including noise pollution or declining neighborhoods; or family troubles) - I have always maintained this stance ... ya know whom I'm talking about http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mina-s...b_6075952.html ... although it's "cheap and easy" and a stereotype, too

I like to try to escape or modify such thoughts of those kinds of ... "stress resilient" people ...

My late aunt used to say, "there is just so much energy, just like the juice in an orange. Once it's squeezed out ..."

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 06:39 AM  
topfitmama

That was an interesting article, Bettina, thanks for sharing it. I found the end a bit confusing. What does she mean?

Sure, people who have little else to do than "get their workout in" will have more energy for said workout than those of us who lead lives that already place a lot of stress on our bodies and minds. I'd have to go to a (non-existent) 5 am class if I were to get that workout in before waking my boys, which is always a stressful event. Waking and getting kids off to school is a 2 hour job that starts at 6 am and ends at 8. I walk for 20-30 minutes after that, which helps me get over any stress that happened before 8 am. But this is a season in my life and I have to adjust accordingly.
Where I live, moms come in all shapes and there seems to be no obsession with working out and looking a certain way. There are other obsessions, of course, so this is a good reminder that everyone has their own load in life and we should all focus on our own lives and what we can and can't do during each season.

Cherimac, thanks for sharing that article! I'm encouraged when I see an attitude like Sadie's in a fitness role-model. I especially liked her honesty in admitting that she struggles too.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, barre3, exercise intensity, sadie lincoln, stress