Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-16, 04:52 PM  
Lorelai

Hi Donna!

I haven't heard of Robin Long before, but 10 minutes of pure Pilates sounds doable. One problem I have when I hang around VF to much is lack of focus...

I was perusing old threads while feeding the baby, which is how I found this one, and I stumbled across this in an older Barlates thread. Trying to figure out how best to plug in Ellen is harder than it would seem, but I like the idea behind it because the "additional cardio" could be translated into "cardio component included in upper body focused workout." lol Jessica could be added too, and I'd like to try some of Linda's lower body mat work from her YouTube channel...

Upper body + Abs (Additional cardio optional)
Lower Body (Additional cardio optional)
Total Body (Additional cardio optional)
Upper Body (Additional cardio optional)
Lower Body + Abs (Additional cardio optional)
Total Body (Additional cardio optional)
(Dynamic) Stretch, Active Rest etc.

ETA: I think I want to differentiate between fusion and barre. I love fusion, but I did one of Jessica's lower body barre workouts from YT and really noticed the difference in the number of reps. It was an added challenge for me. Does that make sense?

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett

Last edited by Lorelai; 02-16-16 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Whoops, forgot the additional cardio.
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 09:05 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

That rotation looks good, Laura!

I like both Barre and Fusion. In my mind, barre has more reps and more concentrated exercises and smaller movements whereas fusion style workouts use a greater range of motion and fewer reps. For barre, I really like Barre3 b/c they demonstrate a lot of modifications so you can always feel successful with what you are doing.

I feel an Ellen coming on, LOL!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 09:12 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

I like both Barre and Fusion. In my mind, barre has more reps and more concentrated exercises and smaller movements whereas fusion style workouts use a greater range of motion and fewer reps. For barre, I really like Barre3 b/c they demonstrate a lot of modifications so you can always feel successful with what you are doing.

Donna
I just did Fusion Flow, which is one of my most used of Ellen's!

...which I guess counts as Total Body?

Old 02-16-16, 11:57 PM  
dfrank

What does fusion mean, exactly? I keep seeing that and wondering. Is it a mix of different workout types? So confused.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 12:16 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrank View Post
What does fusion mean, exactly? I keep seeing that and wondering. Is it a mix of different workout types? So confused.
Fusion, at least the way I use it, blends elements of dance, ballet, barre, Pilates and/or yoga. Probably some other stuff too sometimes. Ellen Barrett is a well known instructor whose signature style is very much fusion; I would say she is mostly inspired by Pilates, which she often performs standing, followed by ballet and yoga. Jessica Smith has quite a few fusion style workouts on her YouTube channel (her Total Body Balance dvd qualifies as fusion IMO)... mostly anything with barefoot, mat, or fusion in the title probably falls under this category. I would say that at least some of Tracey Mallett's work falls into the fusion category as well, and even Barre3, which despite the name incorporates barre with Pilates and yoga and so to my mind is more of a fusion that leans a little more on barre as a foundation.

I'm not so good with the definition apparently, I can just offer lots of examples. I'm sure someone else will have a better definition to offer.

Old 02-17-16, 12:20 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

Donna
This is a good way to differentiate between fusion and barre, which, while they aren't used interchangeably, are sometimes put into the same category... I've noticed that while reading older threads, particularly when people are devising workout rotations/schedules, and barre/fusion are put together, although I think Donna highlights at least one major difference in the quote above. That, and I think of fusion as a little more (standing) Pilates based, though that might be because I work out so much with Ellen and my perception of the genre is skewed in that direction, whereas barre is more like ballet. But they all go together really well, which is why they fuse so nicely into great workouts.

Old 02-17-16, 01:40 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
and I'd like to try some of Linda's lower body mat work from her YouTube channel...
Be prepare to feel the BURN!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 07:08 AM  
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrank View Post
Ive always thought of fusion on a much broader scale as any types of exercise combined, yogilates, Ironyoga, ellen, ttapp, piloxing, kettlebell kickboxing, barlates, tai chi yoga, soulcycle, etc. The first fusion workout that I was ever aware of was yogilates and had no bar at all. Maybe there were others befor it? idon't know.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 07:25 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

Like Phyllis, who started this thread - I have been feeling out of sorts lately - winter blues, some nagging low grade hip and back pain (thank you, snow shoveling!) and today I pulled out Stretch Sculpt and it really hit the spot. The hip flexor stretches in the middle felt wonderful and I'm in a better mood for having done this workout today!

I added on a little Pilates (Hilary Burnett's Beginner Pilates - an oldie but a goodie) and a little stretch.....ahh......

Donna
Old 02-17-16, 07:40 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

Forgot to ask - is anyone going to call in to Ellen's conference call tonight - I got an e-mail about it. 7-8 p.m. (I assume Eastern time since Ellen is in CT)

Phone #: 712-432-3900

Passcode: 872640 #

I may call in - hope I remember. it is about winter wellness for women and since I'm really feeling the winter doldrums, I need this.

Donna

Tags
ellen barrett