Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-15, 12:22 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Years ago, I bought something called, "lunge poles." They were poles that you moved while doing lunges & squats & were supposed to help you maintain your balance better while doing those exercises.

There was a vhs tape that came with them that actually had 3 different workouts on them with 3 levels for each workout--the level differences I think were the amount of sets you did for each workout. It was fairly aerobic, & there were upper body moves with lighter weights, but it was one of the few light weight workouts that I could feel, usually light weight workouts I am between weights & either go too heavy or too light. I would do the intermediate version & fast forward to get a total body workout.

The poles just got in my way, so I actually threw them away. I think I still have the vhs tape, but I have no idea where it could be.

I didn't see much of those poles last night. I wonder if they would do anything extra for you or just get in the way. I had an ab wheel for awhile, but I got rid of that, because regular planks & plank variations were so much better.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 12:49 PM  
dela

Watching it now on DVR. I like this a lot! It's a fitness show without a focus on weight loss, and I am going to love seeing all the new ideas. I love Shark Tank and the format of finding the next new thing.

I really like the part where Jillian and the the others actually do the workout, and not just hear the pitch.

I don't think any of these first ones can win the final though.

The $1200 price tag alone on the Stix is too prohibitive, and I just wasn't into it, I'm with Jillian on this one. The trampoline has nothing new. The one handed rolling balls probably the best of the bunch, but that's no good for my shoulders, I would never even try that.

ETA: Just getting to the part with the control subjects, so OK a little focus on weight loss, but I'm OK with that too, it has balance.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 01:09 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Interesting show. I thought it would be Shark Tankish which is one of my favorite shows! I will watch again. I would not have used those pole things. I would be afraid of one snapping out and hitting me in the eye, much like I feel with bands!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 06:49 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Do they pick a winner at the end, or do they just eliminate one gadget per week until they have a winner?
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 06:55 PM  
Vantreesta

I thought it sounded like the winner from each week would compete in the finale but I'm not sure.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 11:18 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

I like the premise of the show, but I thought the execution was too messy. I think they put too many challenges into one episode - from the judges working out, to the weight loss challenge with the man and woman, and then the class challenge. I also hated how they interrupted them during class challenge. I'd rather they let them flounder and learn from their mistakes after the fact, but I understand why they did it since they are under a time crunch.

I'll still watch a few more episodes to decide how I feel. Perhaps it will pick up in the coming weeks.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-15, 07:29 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockmom View Post
I dvred it. Watching it right now. It's not what I expected. At first I thought it's just Shark Tank with workout equipment. I really liked when they brought out a male & female for each of them to work with to test their product on. I like it. I'll definitely watch the next one.

Does anyone know anything about their sponsor Retro Fitness? One of them popped up by my house & I've never heard of it before. (ETA) The name made me think it has some kind of retro niche like old school cardio classes to 80s music but the web site just makes it look like a chain gym with a retro looking design.
Retrofitness is a chain of gyms that's similar to Planet Fitness (IMO, anyway). It costs $19.95 per month and it has a "cardio theatre" that's pretty cool. Lots of treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, & arc trainers set up in a theatre with a big screen that plays a specific movie everyday. The colors of the equipment are vibrant and happy and they also have a juice bar. I was a member for about a year but cancelled because I didn't go as often as I thought I would (my plan was to use the treadmill or elliptical during lunch but it wasn't time efficient enough for me). If there was one closer to home instead of work, I'd probably join again. Oh, and there was an episode of Undercover Boss that featured Retrofitness that was pretty good.

I just watched Sweat, Inc. last night and I enjoyed it alot! I also thought the weighted balls were a shoulder injury waiting to happen. You'd have to have a really good base of strength to use them. The trampoline was "meh" too but the handle bar was unique. Forget the stix gadget, way to expensive and complicated! I'm looking forward to next week's episode.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 09:30 PM  
dela

Y'all watching tonight? I just turned it on (dvr). First guy ain't going to make it. Good workout, not unique at all, and a bad business model.

Not digging the second guy either.

I think Cycle and Row is the clear front runner tonight.
Old 10-27-15, 09:46 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I missed the first half, but what they're showing now looks like a chaotic mess. So far I haven't seen any concept on this show that would get me off the couch.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 10:14 PM  
dela

I would really like to see someone implement the idea of "play" into a workout, in a group setting. Not even sure what it would look like, but I would like to see it.

Tags
jillian michaels, sweat inc