Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-15, 09:22 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Ellen Barrett also wrote a whole book about working out according to your Zodiac sign, so I've always taken anything that came out of her mouth/keyboard with a big ole grain of salt.
I had to quit working out because my blood type said "cardio" while my zodiac sign said "weights."

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 10:11 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I had to quit working out because my blood type said "cardio" while my zodiac sign said "weights."

Don't Miranda Esmonde-White and Teresa Tapp claim one shouldn't use weights at all?

I tend to tune out absolutists of any stripe.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 10:42 PM  
bfit

This is so ridiculous! It's bad enough that there's a persistent myth that women shouldn't lift weights at all, but to have a professional fitness instructor say something like this about "heavy" weights is doubly bad. I remember years ago when I first started running that people told me that running would cause my reproductive organs (and my breasts) to "fall". I didn't believe it, but it's too bad some women will be scared off by ideas like this.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 10:43 PM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy J View Post
Hahahahaha...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
The only thing that article is good for is playing a drinking game with how many times she says ligaments/tendons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Ellen, if you are reading this, please put a sock in it. I beg you. Seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
LOL
Well, I just threw my 30s out the window immediately after reading this, and I scared the hell out of a cat in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Can't carry my purse cause it usually weights a lot more than 5lbs.

Crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
Now I can squat 200 pounds so I told him nicely with a smile on my face what he can do with those 5 lbs dumb bells, slowly and walked away.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post

Well whatta buncha hoooey. You're right...just long enough for me to forget the Skinny hogwash to look at a couple of her workouts this past week. whew...that was a close one. She would expect me to crumble in heap with 80lb farmers walk. Except I don't Thanks for the laughs...
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 11:27 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post

Don't Miranda Esmonde-White and Teresa Tapp claim one shouldn't use weights at all?

No, they don't. And I, too, tend to tune out absolutists.

Teresa Tapp doesn't use weights in her workouts, and she suggests they aren't necessary for building muscle, but, in the 15 years I've followed her, I've never heard her say or seen her write that one 'shouldn't' use weights.

Miranda Esmonde-White doesn't use weights in her workouts, and she also suggests that one needn't use weights for building muscle, but she has never, in the 8 years I've followed her, asserted that one 'shouldn't' use weights.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 11:32 PM  
Demeris

Quote:

My enneagram number suggests I take 4 days off a week from all physical endeavors.

I had to give up all of Ellen's fusion workouts. They twinged my knees and my back.

I do, however, really like her WW walking kit. Her upbeat encouragement is great for indoor walking workouts--not quite so manic-with-bonhomie as Leslie (whom I also love for walking workouts).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 12:15 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

That was a sad read! But, most of your comments made me laugh so much! I can't believe some instructors have the nerve to write these kind of articles. I guess she thought she would get new customers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
LOL
Well, I just threw my 30s out the window immediately after reading this, and I scared the hell out of a cat in the process.
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
First thing he said was we can use some 5 lb weights for squats.
Wow, really?! lol He probably can't pick a pair of 10s himself!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 12:30 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
..... I remember years ago when I first started running that people told me that running would cause my reproductive organs (and my breasts) to "fall"....
Haha----when I was a kid I loved lifting heavy. Always surprised people by how much I could lift for being so scrawny. I can't count the number of times I heard "oh honey, you're going to tilt your uterus". I always pictured a carnival ride in there. The "tilt-o-wheel" of my nether regions
Old 09-15-15, 12:51 AM  
Taiga

"On top of this, the ligaments and tendons have very little blood flow ..."

Apparently they have a lot in common with Ellen's brain lol

I threw her workouts in the trash (didn't even donate them) after the whole "skinny is the new wealthy" debacle. She comes off so ignorant and SHALLOW. Hello Helen!!! Do you weigh more than 5 lbs? Cuz bodyweight exercises are HEAVY WEIGHT exercises and they do rely on those good old tendons and ligaments.....

No doubt this is an article designed to provoke people so she can squeak out another 15 minutes of fame. Probably should just ignore her and let her blow away in the wind.
Old 09-15-15, 01:16 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

My cat weighs at least 10 lbs and she does get shoulder pressed from time to time. If you weigh 100 lbs and do push-ups, you are lifting at least a quarter of your body weight. That's definitely more than using 5 lb weights.

Tags
ellen barret, ellen barrett, heavy weights, instructor behaving badly, tennis elbow