Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-15, 02:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Walking, barre, Pilates. High intensity makes me gain weight and feel achy. If I don't do something, I feel more tired and don't sleep as well.

Honestly, food choices are more important than anything else right now. Things I have always been able to tolerate I can't deal with now, like iced coffee and chocolate.
Ditto! I am closing in on 58 and I get achy from high intensity, high impact, and heavy weights. Barre, ballet, walking, rebounding, swimming, and high rep/low weight strength/circuit style workouts are on my fitness menu.

I also agree that food choices are key.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 02:46 PM  
cherimac

It's weird but coffee, dark chocolate, and any carbonated beverage, even La Croix, gives me heartburn. Just started around the time I hit 50. Hormones are funny things.
Old 08-29-15, 02:50 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Cheri, I would be very sad if I had to give up my morning coffee!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 03:00 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Walking is great exercise. I would also recommend ways to keep muscle. So that might require some weights, bands or body weight exercises. Barre seems to be a popular option. Piyo in person might be an option too. Strength building yoga? I know that can be difficult if always tired.

I've recently found pool aerobics and also the rowing machine. I needed more upper body work and wanted to increase my stamina (and baby my foot that has lots of problems). I'm loving both of these things. The aqua classes at my gym are at least intermediate if done as the instructor cues them. And, there are all kinds of people in there, young, old, heavy, not so heavy, and of all colors of the human rainbow. Something very different than where I used to live.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 03:07 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I'm finding out the hard way...

I had my yearly physical this week. Everything was fine...except my weight. My weight is the highest it's ever been.

I'm not crazy about the prospect of eating like a bird from now on, but that looks like what I need to do.
I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. That helps a lot...NOT.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 03:38 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Cheri, I would be very sad if I had to give up my morning coffee!
I have gone kicking and screaming to hot tea and it's okay but I do miss iced coffee. Oddly enough my mom went through the same thing and can now drink coffee again so I'm hopeful.

Julie, that makes things even tougher. This phase of life is hard.
Old 08-29-15, 03:48 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
So, many of you ladies have spoken up about this season of life. Yes, I'm right in the midst of it and it can be difficult on some days. Exercise has been a struggle to be consistent with.

Instead of beating myself up, I decided yesterday I will simply walk for exercise. When I go to the Kroc Center with my husband, I will walk the indoor track for the full hour. When I'm home, I'll use Jessica Smith Walking. (BTW, I'm in the NW where all the fires are, so no outside exercise right now). I will use CS as well as add-ons to my walking.

What are you doing to stay active during this season of menopause?
So glad you posted this thread. I am going to use Jessica Smith and Leslie, as well as some CS. I had a hysterectomy about 3 years ago, and about a year later my ovaries just gave up. I just turned 50. I have not been the same since before my hysterectomy. I ache and I am just darn tired all the time. It is getting better, though. In the course of this whole thing, a hypothyroid issue was discovered as well as the fact that I just have to have some estrogen therapy. If not, I just pretty much want to crawl into a hole and pull the dirt over me. It's pathetic. Every morning I wake up stiff and feeling lethargic. I work from home, so that is probably the only reason I still have a job. LOL. After giving it some thought, I have realized that I cannot wait until I "wake up" to start moving. That takes a couple of hours. I wont exercise in the evenings. I am spent by then. It has to be in the mornings. I think it will help my joints too. Anyway, that's pretty much where I am right now.
Old 08-29-15, 04:18 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Ditto! I am closing in on 58 and I get achy from high intensity, high impact, and heavy weights. Barre, ballet, walking, rebounding, swimming, and high rep/low weight strength/circuit style workouts are on my fitness menu.

I also agree that food choices are key.
I will be 59 in October, and am focusing on shorter workouts like the Powerfits; walking, barre, and pilates are also favorites. I am always tired, at my highest weight ever (except for pregnancy) and am very achy most of the time.

I don't want to even think about food choices, but obviously I need to.

Carol

Last edited by txhsmom; 08-29-15 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling - duh!
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 04:56 PM  
cpcathy

So glad I found this thread. I'm 45, not quite menopausal yet, but my fatigue has been so horrible I feel like my body is going crazy!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 05:19 PM  
TinaT

I'm definitely going to walk for now. CS now for sure. Maybe in time, I'll add in Barre Amped. Other than that, I have no plans to add much more. Of course, I make this decision only after obtaining several FIRMS. Good grief...
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause