Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-15, 09:26 AM  
Carb8985

I love the way Sylwia's body looks, and I love the way my legs look from doing Tonique for the last two years. My legs and glutes are very muscular, but I find that the muscle is lean and not bulky. If Tonique is not giving the results you want, you should switch to something else. The workouts are really hard, so no sense in doing all that hard work for no reward!
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 09:55 AM  
koolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
I love the way Sylwia's body looks, and I love the way my legs look from doing Tonique for the last two years. My legs and glutes are very muscular, but I find that the muscle is lean and not bulky. If Tonique is not giving the results you want, you should switch to something else. The workouts are really hard, so no sense in doing all that hard work for no reward!
Nice to hear another opinion from the other side.

I'm happy it's hard but it's hard for the wrong reasons in my book which is endurance rather than high cardio mixed with low (10-20) rep conditioning. The amateur gymnastics conditioning we did was hard, really much harder than Premier, but there was not the repeat targeting of a specific area, you'd switch from situps for example to pressups then back again but we never did endurance. I just wish I knew what I had at the time and video'd it all

Just wish there was 30-40 minute tonique without the high rep endurance while keeping the cardio high.

I'm going to keep at it for a week or two more and see how I feel about it.
koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 10:02 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Just wish there was 30-40 minute tonique without the high rep endurance while keeping the cardio high.

I'm going to keep at it for a week or two more and see how I feel about it.
You might want to look into Tonique Royale or Tonique Hamptons Express workout (both available on Sylwia's website). They include plank work interspersed with the squats and lunges, so maybe that variety is something that would work for you. But the rep counts are still 30-40 reps, so it's still very focused on muscular endurance.

I like the high-reps because for me that is the only way to get such a high cardio intensity, but using lower impact moves. I think it would be tough to keep the cardio high using a lower rep count, but I see what you mean about it exhausting the muscles too much for what you are looking for!

Oh, I also just thought of Tonique Sculpt Dynamics, which is a dance-oriented workout that definitely gets the heart rate up with lots of jump, kicks, and dance type moves.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 10:09 AM  
koolio

Quote:
But the rep counts are still 30-40 reps, so it's still very focused on muscular endurance.
Quote:
I like the high-reps because for me that is the only way to get such a high cardio intensity, but using lower impact moves.
I think 30-40 is ok for a set of two legged squats given these are the bodies strongest muscles. But doing another set, then another set on one leg and another set etc. it just keeps adding up as endurance and hence the unwanted hypertrophy (in my case). You are in fact doing hundreds in a row. A set to me would imply doing 40 squats then maybe switching to side leg kicks (without any further squats) and returning to the squats for the next set.

For example I would not want to do a variation of hundreds of pressups in a row, if broken up with other exercises then sure (although in my case upper body weight is desired for gymnastics)
koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 10:24 AM  
casey

Hi
During one of Sylwias workouts she explains that in order to avoid bulking she works your legs from many many different angles. So you go from a static rear lunge to a diagonal curtsy dip to a cross body forward lunge to a rear leg lift and so on.

I am one of those people that doesn't like to over analyze my workouts. All I know is I am a pear and Tonique lifts up my butt, tightens it and firms and tones my legs. I am a smaller size when I do Tonique and I am not starving so it works for me. IMO Sylwia does not have a bulky lower body and to me, she looks beautifully toned, slim and tight. However I don't even think about bulking as an issue and back when I did all Cathe all the time, I thought her muscular physique was beautiful too.

If your own personal experience is that Tonique makes you bigger, then I definitely would not do it and I would find a different workout that you love and enjoy.
Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 12:15 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I suppose it could be in the eye of the beholder but Sylwia looks very lower heavy and lower muscular to me, particularly glutes/thighs, whereas I find Tracy to be more well rounded.
Are you just looking at Sylwia's body from Premeir, which she filmed 6 years ago? Have you done or have you seen any of her recent workouts? I am asking this because I have been doing Tonique for 6 years and have watched Sylwia's body transform to where she is today. She isn't lower body intensive at all. She will never look like TA, since Sylwia is about 6 or 7 inches taller than TA. That being said, Sylwia has literally an 8 pack ab and isn't bulky anywhere, not even her lower body. Plus, someone mentioned her running. Well. She hasn't been running since last August since she has an Achilles injury from playing tennis and has taken a break from running. She only uses her method to get where she is at. I think in Premeir she had more of a pear shape and even had some jiggles her and there, but that has totally changed over the years.

For me, I do all of her newer workouts, BTM, ATM, FF & Royale and I do 2 hour sessions and have never bulked up with Tonique. I am built differently than Sylwia, too. I have an hourglass shape. Sylwia has more of an up and down shape, meaning she doesn't have an indentation at her waistline and that is all genetics.

Also, for me, I get a very high intensity cardio effect with Tonique and I sweat buckets and I feel so accomplished when I am done. As Sylwia says, that post workout feeling.

If Tonique doesn't fit the bill for you, you should try other workouts. I have found my magic bullet and it is Tonique, but for other people, it's not for them. If you bulk with Tonique, then I would move in to something that will work for you.

Cheryl
Old 02-24-15, 12:35 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I forget the difference between fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers, but we all have different amounts of each type. Maybe you have more of the type that causes bulking with high reps. Also, how often are you doing the workouts? I know that my muscles swell up after a weight workout, and I am 4 lbs heavier on the scale. It takes a few days for the swelling to go down again. I think this may be the problem when many women say they can't get into their jeans after weight workouts.

So how often are you doing Tonique? Another thing about all those high reps is the effect on your joints. You don't want to wear away all the cartilage in your knees and hips.
Old 02-24-15, 12:55 PM  
catcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
Are you just looking at Sylwia's body from Premeir, which she filmed 6 years ago? Have you done or have you seen any of her recent workouts? I am asking this because I have been doing Tonique for 6 years and have watched Sylwia's body transform to where she is today. She isn't lower body intensive at all. She will never look like TA, since Sylwia is about 6 or 7 inches taller than TA. That being said, Sylwia has literally an 8 pack ab and isn't bulky anywhere, not even her lower body. Plus, someone mentioned her running. Well. She hasn't been running since last August since she has an Achilles injury from playing tennis and has taken a break from running. She only uses her method to get where she is at. I think in Premeir she had more of a pear shape and even had some jiggles her and there, but that has totally changed over the years.

For me, I do all of her newer workouts, BTM, ATM, FF & Royale and I do 2 hour sessions and have never bulked up with Tonique. I am built differently than Sylwia, too. I have an hourglass shape. Sylwia has more of an up and down shape, meaning she doesn't have an indentation at her waistline and that is all genetics.

Also, for me, I get a very high intensity cardio effect with Tonique and I sweat buckets and I feel so accomplished when I am done. As Sylwia says, that post workout feeling.

If Tonique doesn't fit the bill for you, you should try other workouts. I have found my magic bullet and it is Tonique, but for other people, it's not for them. If you bulk with Tonique, then I would move in to something that will work for you.

Cheryl
Do you know how tall Sylwia is? Thanks!
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 01:14 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrazy View Post
Do you know how tall Sylwia is? Thanks!
Saw an online story that says she's 5'6".
Old 02-24-15, 01:21 PM  
catcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Saw an online story that says she's 5'6".
Thank you!
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulking and tonique, tonique, tonique premier