Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-15, 09:27 AM  
Michefit

O my soreness... Tonique!

Hi - just started getting into Tonique and have purchased most of her shorter download workouts. I am hoping they will help me break through a TA plateau and add some toning to the upper thigh area. Anyways... Two days ago I combined two short 16 minute workouts (one was very squat focused) and now I am so sore - I can't bring myself to do another workout yet. (toilet-seat challenged sore - if you know what I mean!)

I also feel so puffy and swollen

My question(s) to you is this - should I do another workout? How long should I wait? Will this puffy phase pass? I do NOT want to bulk. Been there- done that and worked really hard to lean these short legs out!

Looking forward to your advice - if it wasn't for all the wonderful things I have read here - I wouldn't have tried half the workouts I love now
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 12:19 PM  
bubbles76

From what I've read, the key to Tonique is to start slooooww. Which Tonique did you try? The one and only Tonique I tried was Premier, which is considered one of her easier ones. Very lunge and squat intensive. When starting out, I only did either the lunge or squat series, never both in the same day. I didn't even do the floor work. It probably was a month later that I was able to combine both the lunge and squat section. Tonique is sneaky if you are really engaging your muscles. Don't let the short time frame and lack of weights fool you!

I say if you are puffy and swollen then it's temporary. I doubt you'll "bulk" in a day, unless you've had steroids for breakfast Give your legs a rest for a couple of days, or do some light spinning on the bike or a leisurely walk followed by some stretching to really work out the kinks. Definitely give Tonique another try.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 12:52 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I agree with bubbles. I'm sure the swelling is temporary. I also agree that I would start out by just doing one download a day. Don't try to do too much too soon. On alternate days, you can do other stuff with like walking or finding some fun dance workouts in your collection or on youtube. That's what you can do today along with a nice stretch workout.
Old 02-16-15, 01:29 PM  
desie

I wouldn't blame Tonique too much for the soreness. I think any time you challenge your body in a new way, you get that. I mean, you could have tried Lauren Brooks kettlebells and felt as sore the next day. Muscles seem to adapt very specifically to the movement you ask them to do. If you are okay with the level of difficulty and are enjoying the workout, you will want to continue, and your muscles will adapt and you won't get as sore.

If you want more variety, try out the beach project short workouts that Sylwia has posted on her you-tube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/ToniqueFitness/videos

I like the beach project workouts, they seem easier than the sculpt downloads that you bought from her website. Of those, I like sculpt 2 and cardio sculpt 2 the best, because they are mostly no impact.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 02:02 PM  
Sinclair

desie - thank you for posting that link - I hadn't checked out her youtube channel in quite some time and I just watched her Interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P9TGjo6wv4 and it is soo amazing! She is such a great person with so much passion and such a big heart - just awesome. The interview shares quite a bit of information on her workouts and how to work up to them (doing fewer reps etc.).
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 02:53 PM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

I ha found the best cure for my Tonique standing workout soreness is a Tonique mat workout. Yes, you feel like your bum is going to break(ha ha ha ) but it actually helps. Really I think just keeping moving, and blood flow going is the key ;-)
bjammin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 03:29 PM  
Michefit

Thanks everyone! I need every bit of your encouragement right now - I feel a bit discouraged and the idea of more exercise right now is the last thing I feel like doing - but of course I know you are right. I almost always welcome some moderate DOMS feeling after a workout - but extreme soreness is another thing.

I am going to attempt doing my regular TA workout - and then maybe walking. We'll see.

I really want to jump back into the downloads for my AM workout tomorrow - so I will go slowly today. I just hate the swollen, heavy feeling - it sure doesn't make me feel like the fitness queen.
Old 02-16-15, 03:50 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
If you want more variety, try out the beach project short workouts that Sylwia has posted on her you-tube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/ToniqueFitness/videos
Thanks for posting the link. I haven't done Tonique in years. This morning I pulled out Premier (I also have Sculpt Dynamics) and am working through the parts I can do . I also subscribed to her channel.
Old 02-16-15, 04:25 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michefit View Post
Hi - just started getting into Tonique and have purchased most of her shorter download workouts. I am hoping they will help me break through a TA plateau and add some toning to the upper thigh area. Anyways... Two days ago I combined two short 16 minute workouts (one was very squat focused) and now I am so sore - I can't bring myself to do another workout yet. (toilet-seat challenged sore - if you know what I mean!)

I also feel so puffy and swollen

My question(s) to you is this - should I do another workout? How long should I wait? Will this puffy phase pass? I do NOT want to bulk. Been there- done that and worked really hard to lean these short legs out!

Looking forward to your advice - if it wasn't for all the wonderful things I have read here - I wouldn't have tried half the workouts I love now

I have been doing Tonique for 6 years and have never swollen or bulked in any way at all and as Bubbles said one workout of Tonique won't bulk you. I started out with Premeir because that's all she had out and I got it when it first came out. So I did that DVD until I practically wore it out then moved on to Tonique 2 and did those together for about another year. It wasn't until Christmas of 2012 when BTM came out that I felt I had the variety I was looking for. It took me about 3 or 4 months to master BTM 1.1 which is 73 minutes. I wasn't able to do that one overnight or anywhere near that. Once I mastered that, my goal was to do BTM 1.1 and1.2 back to back. To me, that was a monumental challenge.

What I am trying to say is this all takes lots of time and dedication to work up to doing her newer workouts, especially. I basically had to "start over" afteri I had a total hip replacement 4 months ago. I moved much quicker through her workouts than I did when I first started. I had to hold on to a barre to even do the squats and lunges and I started back to Premeir. Within a week, I was last Premeir and didn't need a barre to hold on to anymore. With her newer workouts, I had to modify lots of moves that I was restricted from doing. I have been back full force for over a month now with Tonique. It was all baby steps. So, you can do this. Just make baby steps and you will get this.

Cheryl
Old 02-17-15, 05:17 AM  
Michefit

Thanks Cheryl and everyone for your encouragement. My diet has not been the best - the extreme cold and everyday grind leaves little will power right now - that I normally have. I really do like Tonique and believe that I will find the groove. Seems like slower is better to gain results - and I AM determined. Like I wrote before I have been doing TA year 1 exclusively- so I think the squats and lunges were a bit of a shock to my body and it has let me know it!

I look forward to posting back later in the week - to see if I can overcome this workout hurdle!

Tags
tonique