Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-14, 04:38 PM  
MoFirmer

I'm calling BS on this one! I actually participated in the FE infomercial. We DID do the workouts and we DID do a meal plan and it was not 1000 calories. We also did not do diet pills. I did end up losing 19# in a month with these workouts. I didn't need to lie about my results.

And the NY participants.... yep met them too! They DID work out to the workouts. They were not given diet pills. They talked about how they really DID like the FIRM express workouts and how it really did change their shapes.

I filmed in NY in the 'mercial. It was not at all as it was put in the article.
Old 05-13-14, 04:57 PM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Page 2.
It's implied, but never outright stated. Considering she chose to be anonymous for her contribution (Robert Evans is a longtime writer for Cracked), it wouldn't make sense to out her by posting a pic or saying which infomercial she did.
Old 05-13-14, 05:16 PM  
Denise B
VF Supporter

I find this part of the article very odd: "Those last two ads might actually be using the same girl. There's no way to tell, because both of them are demographically sound, milquetoast Caucasian/Photoshop hybrids."

We know Emily is a real person, with a recognizable face in the fitness industry. She is not a "photoshop hybrid". And that is most definitely not her in the first picture.

It makes me wonder how much of the rest of the story is made up.
Denise B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 05:19 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I remember seeing a demonstration online or on TV once - showing 'before' and 'after' pictures taken moments apart. The person looked a lot different. The point was that clothing, posture, etc. can make a big difference and that various techniques like that are used to promote all kinds of products.
I remember that! It was an online article written by a male trainer, which was linked here shortly after I joined VF. It was very enlightening (that and another article showing the use of body makeup to create six-pack abs, etc, before photoshoots). Those pieces, and the other honest experiences of VFers, fitness competitors, and blogging trainers, have really helped me adjust my expectations of myself.

What's Cracked, anyway? I thought it was like Mad magazine--full of spoofs and parodies.
Old 05-13-14, 07:45 PM  
ellaenchanted

It doesn't actually say it was FE, just like it doesn't say the oterh products were used. I am pretty sure she'd know Emily if she were in the FE test group. Also, MoFirmer has posted her experience as a test group participant and it sounds nothing like this.

Sorry, but she lost her credibility when she said none of them were overweight to begin with because they only had 15-20lbs to lose. That *is* overweight. Twenty pounds on an average height female is not insignificant. Frankly, it seemed she was exaggerating a lot in some parts.

Now, there have definitely been cases where something like this has happened. Biggest Loser comes to mind. But, all the stories I've heard of people being testers for popular programs (Beachbody, the Firm, etc.) have been very positive and honest.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 04:35 AM  
PhyllisG

There was a program on TV a few years ago that showed what female bodybuilders go thru before a competition. It was frightening. Very limited calories, only certain foods, and dehydrating themselves just before the competition so they look more defined. It wasn't healthy by a long shot.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 05:44 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I don't believe it either. This particular article, by "Anonymous", reeks of BS to me.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 05:54 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I have a friend who competes in bodybuilding. Yes, she is on an extremely steict diet and extreme workouts for months before a competition.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 07:07 AM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
What's Cracked, anyway? I thought it was like Mad magazine--full of spoofs and parodies.
Good call, Gem. I had never heard of Cracked either, but I asked a co-worker, and she said it's like The Onion - which is satire.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 07:27 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Biggest bunch of crap ever. Read the article carefully and see how many internal inconsistencies you can find. The author is obviously just making crap up.

It's a shame, because there are certainly unethical infomercials, and there are definitely shady diet products and there is probably abuse and we've all seen how before-and-afters can be faked or doctored. . . but that article was a hot mess of made-up crap.

[note: I am exaggerating sarcastically for effect here, sort of like how the author wrote the article! )-- She makes it sound like they were photographed at their "real" weight of 250 pounds (although they "only had 15-20 pounds to lose!"), then put in a cage for 6 months and fed dog food, then given laxatives and diuretics until they had to be held up with strings like puppets for the final photos, in which her legs didn't look a bit different than they ever did. lol. It strains credulity.

It's kind of funny, though.

Except for calling a real person a "demographically sound, milquetoast Caucasian/Photoshop hybrid."

I have to go with the "it must be parody" crowd. And as parody, it's pretty funny.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm, firm express