Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-14, 09:37 PM  
laurajhawk

If you like Travis, you'll probably like Bryan Kest, unless you don't like cursing.

If you like Travis, you'll probably like Eoin Finn, unless you don't like a surfer-dude vibe.

If you like Travis, you'll probably like Rudy Mettia, unless you like your vinyasa more intense than Rudy's.

If you like Travis, you'll probably like Vytas, unless you like your vinyasa less intense than Vytas's. (I think. I've only done a couple of Vytas practices so far.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 09:56 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
If you like Travis, you'll probably like Bryan Kest, unless you don't like cursing.

If you like Travis, you'll probably like Eoin Finn, unless you don't like a surfer-dude vibe.

If you like Travis, you'll probably like Rudy Mettia, unless you like your vinyasa more intense than Rudy's.

If you like Travis, you'll probably like Vytas, unless you like your vinyasa less intense than Vytas's. (I think. I've only done a couple of Vytas practices so far.)
LOVE Bryan and Eoin I guess it's either return to what I know or yes, venture into Rudy and Vytas land and see what's up there, LOL!! Thanks!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 10:13 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post

I love Travis and Eoin, but Bryan Kest sounds like nails on a chalk board to me. I think I got through 10 minutes of his practice before Joni-Oing it. Eoin says some rather awkward things, especially in PY4H, but his the Happy Hip Segment that curse my sciatic nerve pain every single time makes me chuckle instead of groan (okay, sometimes I groan).
Old 04-29-14, 10:20 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I love Travis and Eoin, but Bryan Kest sounds like nails on a chalk board to me. I think I got through 10 minutes of his practice before Joni-Oing it. Eoin says some rather awkward things, especially in PY4H, but his the Happy Hip Segment that curse my sciatic nerve pain every single time makes me chuckle instead of groan (okay, sometimes I groan).
I adore PY4H, both editions. Later Eoin, however, (can't remember any names of DVDs right now) didn't float my boat so much. Not sure why!!

Bryan, yeah, he's great when he's not so chatty. I'm a tad wary of the streaming stuff he has going on right now. Don't want to commit to a membership, really, not when it's so hit and miss.

And I forgot about Yogi Wade, TOTALLY forgot. Maybe I'll just use those and make a donation to their website so they can keep offering free podcasts. Wade is awesome!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 01:19 AM  
Vee

I hate saying this because he seems like such a nice guy, but I don't feel the love for Eoin's yoga. I like the surfer dude personality. I don't enjoy his yoga as much as Travis or Rudy.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 05:00 AM  
PhyllisG

The only other practices I really like are Namaste Yoga with Kate Potter. They are short which some may not like but it works for me. I think she is filming a new series or at least a new DVD.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 05:03 AM  
Tracyso2

I completely agree with you, Vee, about Eoin. I used to think I loved him, but have tried to come back from a long break & find his practices disjointed & not nearly gooey enough. In terms of the rest I have to agree with Rudy and, most of all, Bryan. I do like his streaming practices, and his site has been a good deal for me ($120/year, I think). Of course, I also subscribe to Udaya, myyogaonline AND yogaglo...so, basically, I'm a lunatic who shouldn't be trusted.
Tracyso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:03 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy View Post
Uh oh. I recently acquired Calorie Killer Yoga...like yesterday...because someone said the style was similar to Ultimate Yogi. I like her YouTube videos, so I'm still hopeful.
I shamefully admit that it was me. But I only did one chapter, the wake up or something and that was kind of similar, tha pace and moves. Since then I tried other chapters and I didn't like them too much. I decided to ask Mary for an exchange for the vinyasa flow that will come this week. I also have the new DUP that is promising but I have a lot of improving to do.
Why don't we all lobby to Travis for a second series???????

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:45 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
It's funny, because I almost Joni O'd Travis Eliot's Yoga Foundations the first time I did it. It's a huge pet peeve when people misuse the word "literally," and he REPEATEDLY does it. Also I found he kind of sounds like Benicio del Toro's character from The Usual Suspects and it was really distracting. Not a bad yoga practice, though.
ITA.

I was one of the first people to get UY--Udaya issued the set on DVD-R to the first group of folks who ordered and then sent us pressed DVDs later on. I think it is an excellent power yoga set and Travis is a caring teacher but I just can't stand his voice. I made it through a month and could take no more.

I have YW365. I like Rudy as a teacher and I like his voice too, but he natters on WAY too much. It's rather self-indulgent. My favorite practice in that set is Modified Warrior because it is just his voiceover and it is all cuing.

Apparently Bryan Kest taught Travis and Rudy. I had Bryan's Power Yoga set on VHS. He clearly is a good and dedicated teacher but he is hard for me to like.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 08:35 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
Why don't we all lobby to Travis for a second series???????
There ya go!
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deepen your practice, travis eliot, ultimate yogi, yoga foundations