Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-12, 05:43 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

I am loving the heck out of these workouts!

I hesitate to recommend them to anyone, as they are dubbed "beginner". But like everyone has posted, I am feeling they are PERFECT for many days. They were my ticket to get back into routine exercise. I also got them from mary on one of sales and felt for the price I couldn't go wrong. I did the rotation that came with Harmony.

The PowerFit (whatevers) became the foundation of my exercise. If I only had time for 20 mins, then so be it. and to this day, I LOVE doing Core Fusion from harmony (I'm off to do that this morning.) It's just the right amount of perfect and when I'm really sore from something, it stretches me out with a little ab work thrown in. Ab work I can ACTUALLY do without modifying (too much!)

I have combined these with cardio coaches, kettlebells, treadmilling and ellipticaling along with some Cathe and other stuff. For me? They are literally just the right amount of perfect and when I do throw my all into it with the bands, I actually can be a little sore the next day!!!!!!

I will truly be forever grateful to this set for getting me (and keeping me) back on the exercise track. There is absolutely ZERO dread factor and most times, all I need is 20 mins. to get me warmed up if I want to go on to something else. Anyone with ANY schedule can squeeze in 20 mins.

2 thumbs up from me for these sets.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 05:47 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Hmmm...I wonder if I should look into these. My collection of 20-30 minute workouts is more than my 45+minute workouts now. I don't seem to want to do anything for more than 30 minutes these days.

And I have always like Stephanie as a lead...
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 06:07 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Funny this pops up as I was just thinking the other day how I should probably use all those workouts over the summer while my kids are off school and our days automatically more busy and I prefer short workouts!
Together with a Leslie mile thrown in it sounds like the perfect option for me!

Thanks for the 'nudge' with this post!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:31 AM  
cfwb

I really like the Powerfit workouts - they're short enough that for a returning exerciser, there's no dread factor and there's quite a bit of variety among the workouts. I agree that they aren't for a novice exerciser (Stephanie doesn't give form pointers and assumes you know how to do the moves), and you do get out of them what you put into them. They aren't "intermediate" in the same way that the Firm Express workouts are "intermediate", though - less intense, though still a nice workout. My sister bought the Powerfit Harmony series and is really enjoying them - says she gets some nice DOMS from using the purple band, and she can fit in 20 minutes around her 3 kids' appointments and the summer craziness at her house.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:42 AM  
PeakFitness

The only reason I haven't bought them, with those great sale prices at Mary's, is I don't like to buy splits because if I miss a day it throws the whole thing off. But I agree they don't look too "beginner" especially if you'd use a step.
Old 06-11-12, 09:00 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
The only reason I haven't bought them, with those great sale prices at Mary's, is I don't like to buy splits because if I miss a day it throws the whole thing off. But I agree they don't look too "beginner" especially if you'd use a step.
The thing about the Powerfit Harmony splits is that, if you're willing to do more than 20 minutes at a time, you can just combine the two (Push/Pull etc.) into one balanced 40 minute workout.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 09:05 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Wow...I have all three sets and have only done mostly the cardios...during the work week, when I've been working physically pretty hard and been on the old feet, these would be perfect (the strength ones) to keep me going. I so need to get back into working out to make work (and life in general) easier for me Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!!!!
Old 06-11-12, 09:21 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
Funny this pops up as I was just thinking the other day how I should probably use all those workouts over the summer while my kids are off school and our days automatically more busy and I prefer short workouts!
Together with a Leslie mile thrown in it sounds like the perfect option for me!

Thanks for the 'nudge' with this post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfwb View Post
I really like the Powerfit workouts - they're short enough that for a returning exerciser, there's no dread factor and there's quite a bit of variety among the workouts. I agree that they aren't for a novice exerciser (Stephanie doesn't give form pointers and assumes you know how to do the moves), and you do get out of them what you put into them. They aren't "intermediate" in the same way that the Firm Express workouts are "intermediate", though - less intense, though still a nice workout. My sister bought the Powerfit Harmony series and is really enjoying them - says she gets some nice DOMS from using the purple band, and she can fit in 20 minutes around her 3 kids' appointments and the summer craziness at her house.
This is why I bought them in the first place, for scheduling reasons, crazy Holidays, and for anytime when I needed to jump back into working out without feeling like I have to either start at square one or do workouts where I modify llike crazy. I wasn't expecting at the time a workout that could actually produce DOMS, I never thought this series would do that. However I learned quickly after the the original PF was released, it's just what you make of it. I use it with Cathe's flat bands and for the lower body floor work, I pause the DVD and put on one of the fire walker bands. I even found a new use for my physical therapy bands that I never used anymore; it's great to kick up the intensity of bicep curls or squats once in a while.

The last sale Mary had, I bought an extra set of all 3 workouts bc they're OOP. Granted she still has a large stock of them, but I feel so strongly about these workouts that I wanted to stock pile for those "just in case" moments in life. I knew it would be perfect for after my baby is born bc I can take it a little easier and use an easier band until I regain strength and stamina. I can use it with a heavy duty band and alternate it with strong workouts at the gym, Jari Love, Firm, or some of my favorite paper routines I've found in oxygen magazine. Using the bands helps to train both the positive and negative making them great for rehab as well as overall strength building at the same time. It compliments dumbbells and I would think kettlebells very well. And when the PF Bands are no longer challenging, buy some heavier ones from Altus/Cathe or switch over to tubing as it's easier to find ultra strength levels in the tubes. But you can get dark blue, gray, black, silver, and gold at medical supply stores or purchase some length of each from a PTs office; those are the strongest and thickest you can get with flat bands and they are super heavy weight!!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 10:37 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
The thing about the Powerfit Harmony splits is that, if you're willing to do more than 20 minutes at a time, you can just combine the two (Push/Pull etc.) into one balanced 40 minute workout.
Stop enabling!!! Lol! (I know I'm going to cave on the next sale!)
Old 06-11-12, 11:26 AM  
old lady

I just bought these from Total Fitness DVDs (my first order!). I like the idea of shorter workouts. It is so hot when I get home after walking from the bus stop that I hardly feel like doing anything other than collapsing in front of the tv with a cool drink. A 20-minute workout doesn't seem quite so daunting!
old lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, power fit, power fit harmony, power fit plus, powerfit, powerfit harmony, powerfit plus, step without a step, stephanie huckabee, travel workouts