Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-12, 10:33 AM  
Orlita

The Lithe Method

A feature on it here. Sounds like barre meets cardio/weights (although barre has already met weights). I don't see mention of her having gotten her pilates teaching certification. Perhaps that's why she changed her studio's name -- not a whim but a mandate.

Weird that she had to go look up the word "lithe," even as a teen. Really?

And if I read that article and were overweight, I'd be hesitant to go to that studio, where everyone is apparently already fit.

Still....something new to try in Philly. Anyone out there tried it?
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 10:56 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I have never tried this workout, but I heard about it a while back and was intrigued by the barre/cheerleading combo. I follow their blog (http://www.fithiphealthy.com/) and I never had the impression that the studios would be intimidating for someone overweight or unfit. In fact, the instructors seem to have a broader range of body types than one usually finds in barre studios.

I read that the founder was planning to make some DVDs - that would be great!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 11:49 AM  
alisoncooks

My word, what a bunch of different workouts:
http://lithemethod.com/litheworkout/

I wouldn't know where to start!
(But...my vidiot mind says: That's enough variety to make a good little dvd series of, say, 3-4 dvds or more!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 01:32 PM  
atiman

I haven't read the article yet. I will after this.

I took classes at the studio about 2 years ago this month. Cost ended up not making this happen. By the time I paid for the class($25) parking($14) and gas ($5) I was out about $45.00 each class. Since i was driving about 35 minutes i couldn't guarantee that i wouldn't be caught in traffic or in an accident. No refunds. I couldn't risk it after a while. Plus, you couldn't be late. I was also taking Bar Mathod classes at the time, which BTW has the same policy of no refunds if you miss class.

The classes are not Barre, but there are some moves that are similar. Let me tell you Bar Method classes are not the same at all. In fact, I felt this was a perfect compliment to Barre workouts. This was the cardio part. The weights used in class are no more than 5 pds. After a few minutes, all you can think about is how heavy 5 pds really is and can I possible go on.

Lithe kicks ass! There many different classes available, some are seasonal. You must also go through a 3-4 week immersion class before taking regular classes. These classes teach you their breathing techniques, the basic foundation moves, various moves from some of the classes and a chance to meet some of the instructors that you will be instructing you. Then, once you have X amount of classes under your belt you move on to more advanced classes. Unfortunately, you can't just take a class because it looks interesting to you.

Her studios do so well that she has I believe 3 in Philly ( she may have moved one or closed one) and 1 opening in NY. She mentioned once that she was going to do a DVD, but that would end up being just the basics. You would have to have equipment for some of the band classes.

I know Lauren mentioned that she studied to become a Pilates instructor in NY. But she realised that she didn't have the muscular shape she had back in high school from cheerleading. She felt Pilates didn't give her this. So she basically she combined the two and created a studio teaching her method.

There are all types of body shapes in these classes. Many women usually come in and take classes to get ready for their wedding. She has quite a following.

The only thing I don't like are the vegan/vegetarian propaganda and her line of "out there" fitness gear.
atiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 02:42 PM  
SuzieC

Old thread alert

Lauren Boggi now offers streaming. I believe she posts 2 45 minute classes a week. Looks too intense for me at the moment but I thought others might be interested:

https://laurenboggiactive.com/streaming
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, lithe, old thread alert, philadelphia, philly, pilates