Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-11, 09:09 PM  
ncl

What results have you gotten with barre workouts?

I'm interested in everyone's results but am interested if you changed from weights to more barre-type workouts, too. I'm considering giving Ballet Body a spin but am nervous...Nancy
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 10:04 PM  
daisysunshine

Do it. DOO IT! DOOOOO IT. (sorry. You would get a lot of results using ballet body. you should really try it).

In all honesty, I don't like answering these kinds of questions because you're not me - or my body type or anything like that. So what works for me "results" wise, may not equate for you, you know?

but - using ballet body, pilates and cardio, I've lost a l.o.t. of weight and inches, I've gotten stronger, more flexible, and using ballet body makes me less flubby. I feel more tight and cinched in. The ONLY things I do right now is

Ballet Body
Pilates (Just B Method/Ultimate Pilates Workouts)
Ballet Beautiful
Brook Benten Cardio Workouts
Classical Stretch.

When I was consistent doing it, it really worked. Doing other pilates/barre helped a long but not the same as doing that above. (ballet beautiful is rather new - however its made a place in my perm. rotation).

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 10:08 PM  
SarahJane

When I first started working out to videos, I did the Firm (the ones with the fanny lifter and the transfirmer). My upper body looked great but my lower body just got bulky. I was a size 8.
Fast forward a couple of years and I discover The Bar Method's first videos. I go from a size 8 to a size 4/6 and lose 10 pounds. I can't say how quick it happened because I didn't really pay attention at the time, but doing the Bar Method took me to a size and weight I hadn't seen since I was 15 years old. I lost 3 inches off my hips. This is without dieting. I have had 2 babies in the last 4 years and gained 60 pounds with each of them. I've lost all of the weight plus a few extra pounds with only barre videos and walking.

The most important thing I've learned with barre workouts is that the results stop if you stop doing them consistently. You have to be consistent! I had surgery back in October and wasn't allowed to work out for 3 weeks. I was amazed at how quick I lost the figure I had worked so hard for.

It's great that there are so many different barre workouts available now. They are all so similar yet so different (which is why I feel the need to try and have them all - ha!) My current favorites are Callanetics, Tracy Anderson Mat, Bar Method Accelerated Workout, and Xtend Barre. Physique 57 is also a favorite of many, and guess what? I got Vol. 1 today and will be getting most of Vol 2 within the next day or two. Yeah - I'm obsessed with barre!
Old 05-16-11, 10:18 PM  
juberann

I agree with what daisy said about what works for one person's body may not work all that well for someone else. We are all different and our individual bodies are as well. I was into Barre workouts exclusively awhile back and did like the results I was getting, however, I had come down with a wicked chest cold and didn't work out for 10 days. In that 10 day period I felt my strength decline, my hard earned results diminishing quickly and I was shocked my progress "went away" so fast Weight training does NOT do that to me, my results stay with me for awhile, even through a 10 day hiatus. That kinda turned me off a little on Barre workouts, after 10 days I felt weak,flabby and right back to where I started. I know consistancy is key to any workout program and without your results will go away but there was a drastic change in just 10 days but that's me and MY body, this might not happen to someone else. I learned my lesson and rediscovered weight training, I havn't looked back
Old 05-16-11, 10:22 PM  
SarahJane

I think when we find something that works for us, we just get so excited and want to share the wealth with others but need to remember that what works for one may not work for another. Good point!
Old 05-16-11, 10:25 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
I'm interested in everyone's results but am interested if you changed from weights to more barre-type workouts, too. I'm considering giving Ballet Body a spin but am nervous...Nancy
Previously I did alot of Jari Love and Amy Bento (cardio). So I never did heavy weights exactly, but the weights I used back then were heavier then I use now (8-10 vs 2-3 or 5 max and rarely).

I started doing barre around 2-3 years ago. I was not consistent with any one method I did them all (Bar Method, P57, Pure Barre, Core Fusion, Cardio Barre, etc). I liked the results I saw, but I didn't have weight to loose so I can't speak to those kinds of results. Recently, I started Ballet Body and have been consistent for about a month (unheard of for me). I think Ballet Body is the best barre inspired workout out there. Now that I have been doing ballet body, I'm not interested in other barre workouts (except Dailey Method - intersted in trying it out) I think that if you want to ensure that you keep your upper body strength I'd definately recommend Ballet body, Leah is the Plank Goddess. Her workouts get so much done in a short amount of time (though I ususally string 2-5 together to create a 30 - 60+ minute workout).

Anyway, don't be nervous about trying Ballet body, it's awesome.
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 10:32 PM  
SarahJane

DesertMermaid, you have me intrigued about Ballet Body now. I went to the website-- are there any DVDs or is it just downloads? It looks like you pay per month for a subscription - is that right? Hmmmm....
Old 05-16-11, 10:36 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I know this has been asked before, but how do you all store the downloads? We have ancient TV's here and no gaming systems--our computers are pretty old, too.

Jackie
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 10:43 PM  
daisysunshine

they are going to be a dvd system coming out in August/September.

Jackie - I have them on my computer, harddrive, and dvds backed up. You can pay a subscription or wait for a few months and purchase an archive.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 10:45 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

So you have them burned onto dvds?

I am excited about the dvd system. I love Leah in the Ruahs and have been tempted for awhile with Ballet Body.

Jackie
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet body, barre, barre results