Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-11, 08:20 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

How Do You Get Started With Kettlebells

I was at TJMaxx today and found a 10lb. kettlebell for only $10. I reallydon't want to invest a lot in a new fitness endeavor because I have so much stuff already! But that seemed like a good price for a kb...

I read on another thread that Brooke Benten's Butts and Guts works well with a 10lb. kb. Would that be a good place to start? Would I outgrow at 10 pounder too quickly?

I remember reading on another thread that kettlebells can get very costly, and if that's the case, I'm out.

Thoughts??
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 08:26 PM  
Missiscipi

Get Brook Benten's Butts and Guts (im a huge lover of this dvd!), 10lb kb is great for that and you don't really have to invest in any other kettlebells if you don't want to especially for that workout. I know people that still use their 10lb for that particular dvd. It could be your B&G kettlebell

Also, she has a new set called Kettlebody that a 10lb kb would be perfect for.

Now on the flipside I went nuts and bought a new kb once per month - I got a 15lb for xmas, bought a 10lb with a giftcard, 20lb, 25lb, 35lb and a 45lb and yes they are spendy but oh so fun and give a great workout (and a great body). And don't get me started on all the dvds I bought
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 08:29 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

I am at square 1 with kettlebells. I just got a 10 lb and a 15 lb kettlebell. I am using the Live Fit Revolution site to learn the exercises. It is free. You can either follow along with classes or do each exercise by itself. I think I am going to try to learn each exercise. I also have the 4 pack of Sara Lurie's from Target. I got that before I even had a kettlebell. I have done the swings with 15 lbs, but I gotta say that the 10 lber is great for me to be learning with. I believe that even after lifting weights for years (including almost 2 years of CLX) I am still a bit of a wimp. I tried to do the windmill and really struggled with that. However, I am absolutely loving kettlebells. It is challenging and yet the time flies. Maybe because it is so new and different, but it is fun.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 08:32 PM  
violingal3

I was in your exact spot about two months ago at TJ Maxx, too! If you bought the Tone Fitness KB that they are/were carrying, do yourself a favor and just spend the $ on a normal KB. I clunked that gigantic 15# KB around bruising myself doing the workouts until I finally returned it and bought myself a normal KB. I'll stop there because my "cheap" entry to KBs turned into several DVDs and a full set of contoured KBs.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 08:33 PM  
Missiscipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
I was in your exact spot about two months ago at TJ Maxx, too! If you bought the Tone Fitness KB that they are/were carrying, do yourself a favor and just spend the $ on a normal KB. I clunked that gigantic 15# KB around bruising myself doing the workouts until I finally returned it and bought myself a normal KB. I'll stop there because my "cheap" entry to KBs turned into several DVDs and a full set of contoured KBs.
look at you and your contoured kbs way to go!
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 08:50 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozy View Post
look at you and your contoured kbs way to go!
You've created a monster!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 08:55 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
What a cautionary tale! I haven't bought anything yet... I don't remember if it was 'Tone Fitness' one or not... it was blue... what is a contoured kb?

Oy, I'm so clueless about kbs...

BTW, Rozy, the Butts and Guts does look good to me, and I'm inspired by your results!!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 06:04 AM  
Cassy

I'm only about 2 months into KB's and didn't get B&G until last week. B&G is a high rep fast cardio workout and not what others would say is a true KB workout. So if you are looking for endurance cardio that happens to use a KB this is it.

If you wanted to see some other KB type moves that has a cardio effect also you might want to try Paul Katami's KB drills. Or some other people seem to like Bob Harpers although I have not tried this one. But again these are more cardio workouts to me that happen to use a KB.

But if you want to try KB's more for strength and for real form you would be better off with Sarah's as someone else mentioned although I never tried hers or the free Live Fit site. I started with Lauren and Anthony's but those are expensive or a cheaper one that is good is MB45.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 07:25 AM  
Blackadar

I'll keep my eyes out for a cheap KB at TJ Maxx the next time I go because I think I might start a KB routine in 3 months or so (just started P90X again). What's a good weight for a guy? 20-25 pounds?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 07:30 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I was at TJMaxx today and found a 10lb. kettlebell for only $10. I reallydon't want to invest a lot in a new fitness endeavor because I have so much stuff already! But that seemed like a good price for a kb...

I'm really sorry to read this. I've been thinking about maybe possibly entering the KB world and I have a store credit at TJMaxx and/or Marshall's. I though it was going to go towards a yoga mat, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozy View Post
Get Brook Benten's Butts and Guts (im a huge lover of this dvd!), 10lb kb is great for that and you don't really have to invest in any other kettlebells if you don't want to especially for that workout. I know people that still use their 10lb for that particular dvd. It could be your B&G kettlebell

Also, she has a new set called Kettlebody that a 10lb kb would be perfect for.

Now on the flipside I went nuts and bought a new kb once per month - I got a 15lb for xmas, bought a 10lb with a giftcard, 20lb, 25lb, 35lb and a 45lb and yes they are spendy but oh so fun and give a great workout (and a great body). And don't get me started on all the dvds I bought
Hmmmm. More bad news

Tags
faq, kettlebell beginner, kettlebells for beginners