Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-10, 10:56 AM  
Honeydew

Quick question about peak 10

Is there anyone who is doing these workouts and is not advanced?
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 12:41 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I have done the cardio / strength one and right now I am not advanced (been sick on and off). It was a good challenge for me, I'm sure I modified in places. You can kick it up a notch or not in the intervals so I think someone could grow with it.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 12:49 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think it's quite adaptable, except for maybe the top peaks (if you want to get the most out of them). The impact of the other levels can be modified, and you can also simply not do the whole thing at first. If you have a rebounder, that might help with the high impact sections.
Old 11-21-10, 01:23 PM  
Kathleen Ann

I am not advanced and I find it doable. I did however injure my forearm on a move and It's been two weeks and still not healed.

I do the highjump/tuck jump on my trampoline.
Old 11-21-10, 03:03 PM  
Honeydew

thanks everyone. As I said before, I reaaaaaaaaaaaally want the new firms but don't have the funds right now and I can afford at least one peak 10 unless I can get someone to trade! Off to put these on my tradelist!
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 06:27 PM  
Vee

I am probably high intermediate, low advanced. Both are doable for me, but I modify to tone down the range of motion on peaks when I need to.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 08:42 AM  
Blackadar

Arise!

I did the Peak 10 Cardio today trying to get ready for a TF rotation in January. I think people typically downplay their abilities on VF. This is a darned hard workout for even an intermediate exerciser. I may be 40 pounds overweight, but I've been working out steadily for 8 months. At this stage, I'm at least an intermediate exerciser and this is tough for me. It's about at the limits of what I'm capable of.

From a guy's perspective, this was a pretty darn good workout. First of all, the set/lighting/scenery is good. Michelle Dozois is pretty easy on the eyes (short blond hair is one of my things) and there's the obligatory redhead on the far right. You ladies might laugh, but sometimes that helps us guys work out harder. It's why some of you love Gillad while I can't stand him. Sex appeal works.

Moreover, the moves don't feel very "dancey" (yeah, I know that's not a real word) with only a couple of rare occasions. Michelle doesn't get too overboard with the possible exception of the last peak where she gets a little excitable. The moves feel masculine enough that I don't feel like a total idiot following her. As a guy, you often feel very self-conscious working out when the workout is pretty obviously geared towards women. This is especially a problem with many cardio-centric video workouts, most of which are mainly geared towards women. So good cardio workouts are hard to find for me and this is one of the best I've ever discovered. The queuing is excellent in most places, even though you're changing what you do quite a bit.

It's tough on my feet and ankles, especially since I'm overweight. It's a pretty high-impact workout and while it can be modified in some places, you're going to bang around on your feet. It's good incentive to lose weight to make it easier to bounce around. The tempo is pretty darn good, giving you *just* enough rest so that you're usually not entirely wiped out. I was pretty well spent by the last couple of peaks and modified a couple of moves, but I managed to make it through.

Overall, it's an excellent workout for intermediate to advanced users.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:17 AM  
desderata

Blackadar, I love reading your perspective. I'm glad you're here on VF.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:40 AM  
dela

Love the different perspective Blackadar, that made me chuckle.

I don't know where to classify myself, I have worked out consistently for about 5 years now, I can get through an Insanity workout, but don't like it. I do however love Peak 10, and it's no joke, it's tough, and if I follow it full out, there are times I am actually gasping at the end of the final peak and need to give myself extra time. Usually I just change a couple moves to be lower impact during the "ascent" if I need a little break, and for some of the final peaks, like instead of a tuck jump with 2 bounces, I'll just jump up high like a basketball jump shot sort of thing and then do the 2 bounces.

I think actually almost anyone can do these workouts, as long as you understand how to scale back and modify some of the moves to bring the overall intensity down, and what's great is, it's really a workout you can grow with.

I vote for YES buy them!
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 10:19 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Currently, I would not consider myself advanced, and I've been doing the Cardio sculpt workout. The moves are easy to take down a notch (I can't for the life of me do some of the jumps or the prone 'ski' moves that have you jump your feet up to the side near your waist while in a plank, so I modify).

It would have been nice if modifications were shown, but the cardio moves are athletic and basic, and you can go lighter on the weights.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michelle dozois, peak 10, peak 10 adaptability