Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-15, 05:46 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjammin13 View Post
Really I think just keeping moving, and blood flow going is the key ;-)
This! For sure! It's tempting to 'rest' when you're toilet seat sore (!) but just moving around is key. I'd take a break from anything very strenuous, but move around a lot... And maybe foam roll, even though it wil hurt like &$:$!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 09:29 AM  
Sophie

Agreeing with everyone else - the puffiness and swelling is temporary and just fluid. If by bulk you mean muscle mass, it won't happen in a day. It's actually not unusual to swell a bit after any strength workout, due to the fluid retention caused by your body trying to repair and also in association to storing more fuel in the tissues.

If you can't move well, just stick to light cardio and stretching for a day or so, then get back to it.

The only caution I have with Tonique is that once you're up to full length (60 minutes plus) workouts, I have found that they can really, really deplete your stores because they're so focused on muscle endurance.
I think this depends on the individual - cheryl for instance can do these back to back no problem - but in my case I had to program in more rest time to be ready for the the next workout.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 09:43 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
The only caution I have with Tonique is that once you're up to full length (60 minutes plus) workouts, I have found that they can really, really deplete your stores because they're so focused on muscle endurance.
I think this depends on the individual - cheryl for instance can do these back to back no problem - but in my case I had to program in more rest time to be ready for the the next workout.
I agree with what others have said about keep moving to reduce soreness. When I did my first Tonique workout (Premier, and over 2 years ago), I was so sore! I had been doing Ballet Body at the time, which itself had lots of barre squats and lunges, though, so maybe not as sore as you (since I know that TA does very few of those types of moves, if any). It took me a while to build up to the long Tonique sessions that I do now, but your physical/mental endurance will get there.

I highlight Sophie's language above, because I agree that Tonique can really deplete your energy reserves, especially the long ones. I don't do Tonique back-to-back for this very reason and I only do 90-minute Tonique sessions one time per week. The other 2 Tonique days I do 60-minute or 45-minute sessions, depending on how I'm feeling. Some days a 30-minute session is perfectly fine too. The important thing is listening to your body. There's no point in running yourself into the ground. You won't see any physical results that way when you do that anyway, because you're stressing your body too much.

All that is to say, take your time with your Tonique journey and don't be hard on yourself. Also, come join us at the Tonique check-in!
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 12:30 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

So, for those of you that recommend short Tonique workouts to start (for example, segments from Premiere), what do you pair them with in order to get a full body workout? Premiere especially seems so lower body focused, do you have any recommendations for an upper body pairing while you build up to longer, more complete Toniques?
Old 02-17-15, 02:14 PM  
bubbles76

Stephanie, I would combine horizontal conditioning with Tonique.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tonique