Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-11, 05:53 PM  
slysam

I think the value in any workout is more than the calorie burn and anything measuring burn is giving an estimate. According to my hrm, I burned about 250-350 for p57 classic (v.1), express was more intense and had a higher heart rate but is 1/2 the length so not as high a total burn. My hr doesn't get that high so I never get a very high burn so I would think some people might get 500 or so for the hour. Not bad. I did try to mod up and usd as heavy weights as I could, did some of the moves without the barre to test balance, did some extra arm moves on occasion, went low when she said, did as many strait legged push-ups as I could, etc. I haven't worn my hrm for v.2 though. Booty Barre "burns" similar for me as does Cardio Barre. But I don't fully do Booty Barre as I don't do the weights part (I've been into other strength since I had BB) so it might not be a fair comparison. A lot of the fast paced barre do emphasize their calorie burn so that is perhaps a fair point. But I agree that is the least of their benefits. I admit I don't care for some of the marketing talk some barre instructors use as some of it sounds like they are spreading misinformation about long muscles, spot reducing, etc. However, I do feel I get good fitness and aesthetic gains from barre and a lot of others do as well so it isn't all bad.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 06:13 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
However, I do Barre workouts for the toning/strengthening/flexibility benefits, rather than the calorie burn.

I guess any form of exercise will burn calories, but if I want to burn off calories and work up a good sweat, I'll do intense cardio.
Old 05-24-11, 06:29 PM  
BurnRN

slysam, I just have to say that I love your goals....and congrats on your progress so far!
BurnRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 11:55 PM  
Michelle
VF Supporter

The author is certainly entitled to her opinion. But I did barre workouts exclusively and lost a lot of weight and many, many inches. So, as my grandmother used to say, the proof is in the pudding for me.

"You must do what you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre results, brynn jinnett, refine method