Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-10, 07:10 PM  
upperwside

I do love this workout.. but i do not feel "worked out" when i am done as in weights. The cardio is great but i feel like not one group was worked hard enough. I was expecting more with the weights. It is a keeper for me still. This is a workout that is pure fun...
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 07:28 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
but i do not feel "worked out" when i am done as in weights.
My complaint exactly.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 07:44 PM  
Irisg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
I do love this workout.. but i do not feel "worked out" when i am done as in weights. The cardio is great but i feel like not one group was worked hard enough. I was expecting more with the weights. It is a keeper for me still. This is a workout that is pure fun...
I felt the same way too. I am actually thinking of counting it as more of a cardio workout. I find that I can't go heavy enough because of the pace of the workout, and it being compound moves.
Old 09-30-10, 07:50 PM  
KathAL79

I just got my copy today. I'm not sure if I should preview or just give it a go.

My understanding of metabolic circuits, which is admittedly rather sketchy because no one is clearly defining what they mean by them, is that they are to boost your metabolism, burn fat and calories, and stuff like that. They seem to be the next hot type of interval training, not that we're fully done with HIIT, which is the current buzzword right now. The weighted exercises are there to challenge your heart and other muscles but not to build much in the way of muscular strength, endurance, or size. Rachel Cosgrove includes weighted (both with weights and bodyweight) exercises in her metabolic circuits in FBB, which are done on alternate days from weight lifting, so they count as interval cardio rather than strength training / weights.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 08:21 PM  
Irisg1

Thanks for sharing that info. Kath. That makes sense to me, so I guess I am correct in my viewing this workout as more of a cardio type workout
Old 09-30-10, 08:32 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
so they count as interval cardio rather than strength training / weights.
Yes, in terms of a cardio workout, it's really challenging and varied enough to keep things interesting.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 12:44 PM  
MM-Om

Just finished this one and it was very though. It could be because I am a little bit out of shape now, after taking 3 weeks off from excersizing. I had to modify a lot and have used 3 and 5 lb weights. I did not like some of the moves where you really had to engage core, some of them were risky, if done without total core engagement, at the speed that she was moving. I will give this one another shot when I get back in shape, but I have a feeling this one will have a dread factor for me. I have yet to try to cardio workout.
Old 12-29-10, 04:59 PM  
turbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I just got my copy today. I'm not sure if I should preview or just give it a go.

My understanding of metabolic circuits, which is admittedly rather sketchy because no one is clearly defining what they mean by them, is that they are to boost your metabolism, burn fat and calories, and stuff like that. They seem to be the next hot type of interval training, not that we're fully done with HIIT, which is the current buzzword right now. The weighted exercises are there to challenge your heart and other muscles but not to build much in the way of muscular strength, endurance, or size. Rachel Cosgrove includes weighted (both with weights and bodyweight) exercises in her metabolic circuits in FBB, which are done on alternate days from weight lifting, so they count as interval cardio rather than strength training / weights.
This is my take on this DVD as well. I really liked it! It's so different than anything else I have and I plan to do this in a rotation with circuit DVDs for a while to change things up. When I watched the clips I was concerned that the pace was too fast when using wts to be safe (for me) but I kept reading reviews and watching clips and decided to bite the bullet and I"m so glad I did! The pace in the wt training is not too fast at all. I have some joint issues that scream when I do wts too fast to keep good form. I'm looking forward to do this DVD again

Tags
michelle dozois, peak 10, peak 10 cardio strength