Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-10, 10:22 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Moreover, the moves don't feel very "dancey" (yeah, I know that's not a real word)
Actually, not only has this word been used often on VF to describe workouts, but--according to several online dictionaries-- it IS a real word (though most often spelled 'dancy").

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 10:42 AM  
Blackadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
Blackadar, I love reading your perspective. I'm glad you're here on VF.
Well, thank you! Glad you're here and VF is here...even if I'm a bit of an outsider given that much of the board consists of ultra-fit women. Then again, as a guy there's something to be said about hanging around a crowd like that!

(ssshhhh, don't tell my wife!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela

Love the different perspective Blackadar, that made me chuckle.

I don't know where to classify myself, I have worked out consistently for about 5 years now, I can get through an Insanity workout, but don't like it. I do however love Peak 10, and it's no joke, it's tough, and if I follow it full out, there are times I am actually gasping at the end of the final peak and need to give myself extra time. Usually I just change a couple moves to be lower impact during the "ascent" if I need a little break, and for some of the final peaks, like instead of a tuck jump with 2 bounces, I'll just jump up high like a basketball jump shot sort of thing and then do the 2 bounces.

I think actually almost anyone can do these workouts, as long as you understand how to scale back and modify some of the moves to bring the overall intensity down, and what's great is, it's really a workout you can grow with.

I vote for YES buy them!
And thank you too!

If you can do Insanity, you're advanced...and I'm envious.

You're right that most people could do parts of these workouts, but you'd really have to be a video veteran to know how to mod 'em. Michelle doesn't talk about modifiers and no one in her crowd is doing a modifier (though the guy on the back right is struggling during a number of exercises). So you'd have to be experienced enough to know that you don't necessarily have to bounce during the leg lifts, etc. And the higher impact isn't for everyone anyway. So ultimately, I wouldn't recommend them to a novice/beginner because they couldn't keep up and they wouldn't know how to mod them. They'd probably just get frustrated.

But for anyone else...yeah, I'm a fan of the cardio one and strongly recommend it, even if it does kick my backside.

(I don't have the weight one, so I can't comment on that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Actually, not only has this word been used often on VF to describe workouts, but--according to several online dictionaries-- it IS a real word (though most often spelled 'dancy").
Goodness, I struck out twice! Misspelled it and didn't recognize it as a real word! Back to remedial English 101 for me...DOH!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 11:28 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm certainly not ultrafit. Over the last few years I've dealt with injuries, illness and life issues so my fitness has gone downhill. I very much doubt that I could do all of Peak 10 right now. However, I haven't completely lost all my fitness gains either. I would say I'm low to moderate intermediate right now, so don't feel that you're out of place on this board. We're all at different stages of our fitness journey and we all have something to contribute, you included.

Tags
michelle dozois, peak 10, peak 10 adaptability