Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-16, 01:12 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question What is the best thing you ever did to enhance your health and fitness?

If I had to think of one thing that has enhanced my health and fitness, it was joining VideoFitness in 1998. There are other things I've done over the years before and after joining VF that have been also been great.

But, being here has helped to keep me motivated, be consistent, and stay interested in different styles of working out.

(We must all admit that being a VFer *is* hard on the credit card though!)

What other things have been great for your health and fitness?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 01:21 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
What other things have been great for your health and fitness?
The one thing that was most beneficial for my health and fitness was getting knee surgery on both my knees. Before the surgery I was in a lot of pain and couldn't/didn't want to do a lot of active things. Surgery gave me a quality of life I didn't think was possible.

Other things that have benefited my health & fitness
-VF. It opened up a whole new world of fitness to me. Yes, it's been hard on the credit card at times. But fitness dvds are one of my few vices. And if fitness is a vice, I'll take it.
-incorporating yoga/stretching on a consistent basis. I've had a lot fewer strains, pulls, and overuse injuries since I've added in weekly yoga/stretching.
-probiotics.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 01:30 PM  
Sophie

oh my goodness, I have had so many different "best things" over the years, but you know Alta, that is a great point. Videofitness has actually been a persistent part of my life for close to 20 years now, and through the part where maintaining fitness has been the most challenging. It's not just the discussion of video/dvd/audio/books, but all the discussions and conversations that have made me think about wellness in different ways. And the support and encouragement, as well as the lasting friendships that have formed...

So I'm going to have to agree, Alta! Videofitness.com

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 01:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, joining VF and visiting it daily has really been pivotal in my well being.

a former co-worker of mine was very impressed with my knowledge about all of the new things before the rest of the population knew about them, and this friend was ACE-certified and taught aerobics on a regular basis.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 01:54 PM  
leigh1673

In addition to workout videos, I'd say making the switch to a (primarily) whole foods plant based way of eating.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 01:55 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Logging. I log my food to keep myself aware of my intake and patterns, and I log my workouts to keep myself motivated. Both have helped me to keep my weight in check and advance my health/fitness goals.
Old 02-17-16, 02:48 PM  
Jeanne Marie

My answer would have to change as time has progressed.

I guess the single best thing I ever did was build my workout room in my home. I exercised many years before that, but with a dedicated room I was able to take things up a notch.

The other thing would be about 2 years ago when I ventured outside of my workout room and videos, and joined a gym to do boot camp classes.

That doesn't mean I still don't do videos in my workout room, but my focus has changed a bit and I think I've gotten even healthier and fitter in the process.
Old 02-17-16, 02:49 PM  
PhyllisG

Buying Vol 1 of the Firm on a whim. This was when it first came out. Before that I was doing paper workouts. The Firm volumes kept me going for years. Until I met Cathe.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 03:09 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I would also have to say my time with VF! This year is my 10 year VF anniversary! I would never have discovered more elusive gems like Tonique and Horizontal Conditioning, etc. (i.e., ones I would never just come across at Walmart) if it weren't for other VFers raving about them. In fact 10 years ago I had NO IDEA there was much out there at all and discovered classic Firm and tons of other workouts on VF. And I love the sense of community.

Other notable things for me have been investing in a big gymnastics high density foam mat about 5 years ago which allows me to do all my workouts barefoot. Recently I went to get my feet analyzed at a running store (after doing it a few years back) and was delighted to discover that I have corrected my stride from overpronated to perfectly balanced I didn't believe him but his machine had pictures to prove it! I personally think it is attributed to exercising barefoot which must have greatly strengthened my ankles, calves, and feet muscles over time.

Also I will say mindful eating, which when I can really keep up good habits (I had an almost 2 year stretch a couple of years ago so I know I can do it long term) really makes me feel better physically and emotionally. I am trying to "get into it" again and focus on those skills. Even just eating one meal a day very mindfully has a big wow factor in terms of enjoying my food.
Old 02-17-16, 03:13 PM  
Aunt Famous

Fitbit.

It makes me move. A lot.

The movement -- walking -- helped as I began to switch from exclusively high intensity workouts to lower intensity workouts.

The walking takes me outside, with my dog, my husband, my friends. It clears my head, boosts my mood, and helps me focus on my health (as opposed to focusing only on how I look).

Fitbit.

And I love this forum!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
videofitness