Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-15, 07:26 AM  
Lannette

I think that streaming allows these companies to be relatively assured of a certain monthly income rather than a few big draws from yearly DVD releases. They figure that their loyal customers will sign on in order to continue to have access to new offerings.

What they don't seem to have considered is that those "loyal" customers may also be equally loyal to other methods so rather than the "no brainer" choice that they think they're offering they very well may be setting those customers up to make tough decisions - tough decisions which could ultimately end in the loss of clients the companies wrongly assumed they could count on.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 07:52 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I totally agree that streaming is a win-win for the companies selling the service. They get regular income and lower production costs than manufacturing DVDs. I think that people who do streaming may not be as fussy about production quality either, since sites like Youtube have gotten people accustomed to lower production quality (especially compared to the quality of the DVDs we purchase).

Monthly charges are deceptive because what seems like a small charge each month can add up to a lot over time. Whenever I think about how much I have paid over the years to rent my cable boxes, I want to stop getting cable altogether.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 08:30 AM  
suzannaerin

Didn't old people invent the internet? I like best of both worlds but I will never get rid of my DVDs (unless there is no longer a way to play them). I find myself steaming only those instructors whose workouts I discovered and grew to love on VHS (Cathe) and DVD (Suzanne Bowen). I would really have to love an instructor and her/his workouts to pay for their streaming.

I am 52.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 08:37 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Didn't old people invent the internet?
This totally made me laugh out loud!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 09:03 AM  
dnna

What is a small amount of money to a working person is a lot of money to a retiree on a fixed income. It is "only"15 dollars for a yoga class here, but that is 60 dollars a month, and as a retired teacher, that is a lot of money. but I can use a dvd over and over. can't do streaming up here on the mountain, but we are working to get a fiber optic network. still, those small monthly charges really add up for me. It is a budget concern for me.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 09:12 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I think that streaming allows these companies to be relatively assured of a certain monthly income rather than a few big draws from yearly DVD releases. They figure that their loyal customers will sign on in order to continue to have access to new offerings.

What they don't seem to have considered is that those "loyal" customers may also be equally loyal to other methods so rather than the "no brainer" choice that they think they're offering they very well may be setting those customers up to make tough decisions - tough decisions which could ultimately end in the loss of clients the companies wrongly assumed they could count on.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Yes, that's a good point. That's pretty much what happened with me and Physique 57. I don't know that there was ever so loyal a customer as I! But when they rolled out their streaming plan at an outrageous $57 a month, I ended up decamping to the Bar Method.

I remember being so shocked at the $50 price tag of Firm videos back in the day. I never paid that price for mine, but even if I had, I have gotten SO MUCH USE out of those videos--even still! The cost-per-use is now down to pennies.

For those of us who don't need a new workout everyday, you can't beat the cost-efficiency of a few good videos.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 09:33 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
What is a small amount of money to a working person is a lot of money to a retiree on a fixed income. It is "only"15 dollars for a yoga class here, but that is 60 dollars a month, and as a retired teacher, that is a lot of money. but I can use a dvd over and over. can't do streaming up here on the mountain, but we are working to get a fiber optic network. still, those small monthly charges really add up for me. It is a budget concern for me.
I am a working individual, but don't take live classes for this exact reason. $15 isn't bad if you only take one class...but who wants to go to one class a month? It does add up, and I choose to spend that $$ elsewhere for my family's budget.

I love live classes, but haven't done more than two or three in about 15 years. I went to our rec center several times a week when my daughter was <2 and they had free child care at the time. Then schedules changed and they no longer did free child care, so I entered into the world of at home exercising with The Firm and Tae Bo. Now, I would love to take live classes but $$ and work schedules are prohibitive of that.

While the idea of streaming is great, streaming in my household is hit or miss and it can be really frustrating. Plus, I have instructor ADD and don't want to stay with just one instructor because my interests can change on a whim. Thus, I use my videos
Old 03-21-15, 09:48 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
I am a working individual, but don't take live classes for this exact reason. $15 isn't bad if you only take one class...but who wants to go to one class a month? It does add up, and I choose to spend that $$ elsewhere for my family's budget.
I do think a really good, well-taught class has benefits, even if you go to just one or two. Esp. for form-specific types of exercise like barre, yoga or lifting. You can learn a lot that you can use at home. But you're right, the cost really does add up if it becomes a regular thing.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 10:27 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I tried to explain that to Sleek Technique when I emailed them about their streaming prices. I explained the difference between investing in a workout that I can use indefinitely and having to pay a monthly membership that I can't afford. If they went back to offering their workouts for download, I'd treat myself to one whenever I could afford to and wanted one. As long as they keep renting them out -and at those prices!- they won't be getting my business, I'm afraid.
I'm not retired but I live on a tight budget.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 10:36 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I will never get rid of my DVDs (unless there is no longer a way to play them).
I think this will be the real issue for those who say their VHS and DVDs will last them forever. You may be fine doing the workouts forever but you may have trouble finding ways to play them. This is why I think streaming/downloads will be forced upon us eventually.

Tags
boomers, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds, streaming workouts, vintage vfers