Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-01-20, 11:30 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Prenatal/Postpartum/Moms of increasingly older kids! Jan. 2020

Happy new year, cyber friends!!!

Hope everyone is having a fun NY day. I went to bed at 10.30 last night. I watched a movie with DH, then slept in this morning.

I got a deal on Physique 57 streaming, so I decided to do their Accelerate to Great rotation. I'm really enjoying it. I think it's meant to be kind of a beginner rotation, so there are a fair number of rest days built in, and I plan to do MELT rolling and barre3 'mindfulness' workouts on those days. Hopefully that will allow for enough recovery while maintaining the habit of exercise AND making good use of all my streaming subscriptions. For someone who was initially vehemently opposed to streaming, I've done a total 180. Ha!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 06:17 PM  
TonyaK

Hi all, and Happy New Year!

Stephanie, thanks for starting the thread!

Could this be a year when I exercise consistently AND check in consistently?? I hope so!

Today I went for a walk outside. It was almost 50 degrees out, but super windy, so it felt pretty cold. I only saw a few other people outside.

I also did part of Cathe's new Step Sync. It is fun! She has some new choreography and it's put together in different ways. The outfits and music are fine. I'm enjoying this one. I've been doing just one combo at a time since I'm out of shape and out of practice. I haven't tried the other two discs yet.

This year I'm trying to walk 20 minutes a day, ideally outside, but with Leslie if needed. This month, I'm doing Yoga With Adriene. Her 30-day program, Home, starts tomorrow but I did a short practice with her from YouTube today.

I think I will try to have one-month goals this year, and look at them often. I'm keeping them in my planner, so if I look at that every day I can stay on track. Last year I had too many lists and notes in too many notebooks and calendars and I didn't stick with anything. I'll see if this "one place" idea can help me this year.

Stephanie, how fun that you are loving streaming! I have been reluctant to get into it since I get really mad if things freeze up to buffer - do you have any problems with that? I'm also reluctant since I've been so inconsistent with working out. I don't want to pay for it and then not use it. I like the sound of your plan!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 07:42 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Tonya, here's to consistent exercise and checking in! Great about your walk. I took a nice one with the dog this morning. We had similar weather to yours.

I'm with you on monthly goals. I'm do the 20 minute walking resolution and really trying to make good use of my planner. I'm also doing 20 things to do in 2020. I just completed my first item--get a new dresser for DS2! I just ordered one for him. He had been using my dresser from when I was little. It had also been my dad's when he was a child! Very sweet, but quite frankly, not the best quality and too hard for DS2 to open and close the drawers, so I ordered him a nice one form Pottery Barn Kids. It think after ~70 years, we can retire the old one to basement storage!

The other thing I forgot to mention is that we are transitioning DS2 to the modified atkins diet. We're hoping it will help with his seizures. The bonus is that I have committed to doing it with him. I tend to do well with a low carb eating plan, so hopefully this will help me stick to something good! So far, he is handling it well. We're meeting with a dietitian on Friday and I'm hoping it might help. I'll do anything to try to curb the seizures! They are so awful.
Old 01-02-20, 05:46 PM  
TonyaK

Today I went on my walk outside. It was around 30 degrees and felt cold! I still need to do yoga but DD is having a play date and I'd rather do it when kids won't interrupt me. Hopefully DH can be their point person for a while, but I'm going to do it either way!

Stephanie, I'm glad we are doing Walk 20 in '20 together! Great job getting a new dresser and crossing something off your list already. Yep, after 70 years, a dresser is allowed to retire to the basement

I hope the eating plan will help DS! That would be fantastic if could help with his seizures. I hope it will be good for you, too. I'm easing into eating more healthfully instead of trying to go cold turkey this time. Just cutting down junk food and sugar so far. I have had good results with low carb eating, too, so I'm heading there gradually.
Old 01-02-20, 06:47 PM  
TonyaK

I'm back to report that I did my yoga practice with NO interruptions. Hooray! Two days in a row.
Old 01-03-20, 07:58 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaK View Post
I'm back to report that I did my yoga practice with NO interruptions. Hooray! Two days in a row.
YAY! Good job, Tonya!

I'm going to make the boys some breakfast, then I'm off to do a 60 minute Physique 57 video. Here's to consistency--woo hoo!
Old 01-06-20, 05:42 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'm here! I was wondering if anyone had started a thread. I haven't worked since 12/23 so today has been crazy busy.

DH worked on Christmas Eve and NYE. I ended up wrapping ALL the presents, and on NYE I watched 1.5 Star Trek movies (the newer ones) with the kids. They actually made it to midnight!

Stephanie, did DS2 have more seizures? I hope not. I'm glad to hear DH was around for NY! My DS has a Pottery Barn furniture set too. I got it off Craigslist for a steal. Maybe it'll last 70 years?

TonyaK have you gotten much snow? There was SO much when we went up north. And it's been quite cold up there so it stayed around longer than usual.

The weather here has been odd. Lots of days with lows around 30-35. The highs were getting to 70 but now anywhere from 50-65! It's nuts. We don't know how to dress ourselves!

Other than 3 days off when we went up north, I've stuck with my 3x/week bootcamp, two runs, one spin schedule.

I did a 9K trail race Saturday. I've done it twice before, with lots of training, and this year I was one minute slower than my best time. I felt good! I guess all the weight training a Burn is helping.

I'm signed up for a few races but DD has gymnastics competitions some of those days. We don't get the exact schedule until relatively close to it so I'm still not sure what I can actually do. We're signed up for the ShePower 5K and she really wants to do it, but maybe have gymnastics that day. If so, we'll do the virtual option but I realize it's not the same. Fingers crossed!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 04:15 PM  
TonyaK

Hi all,

Nice to see you, Pratima!

On the 3rd, a minor cold turned into a bad cold for me and I didn't do anything that day. I've done at least a meager little walk inside each day other than that. Today I walked outside for about half an hour, which is my ideal situation. It is nice (like 60!) and sunny out, and not windy. I couldn't possibly miss walking outside today

DS stayed home from school this morning. He has a yucky cold too, and I know he is tired. But he also loves to skip school (I think he gets bored a lot and he'd just rather have fun at home). He wasn't allowed to watch any tv or play on his tablet, and after having some cold medicine, he decided he could go to school. Hooray! It has been a long 2.5 weeks of winter break and I was very excited to have a few days by myself. I am putting away our Christmas decorations and doing some deep cleaning. I cleaned out the fridge yesterday and today I cleaned a couple of cupboards in the kitchen. There's more to go, but it feels great! I think I feel like deep-cleaning and organizing every January.

I hope to do yoga still today, but we'll see what I can fit in.
Old 01-07-20, 04:47 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, I'm glad you went for a walk with that weather! I wouldn't want to miss it either. I'm trying to walk during my workday now while it's cool but don't always succeed.

I think you jinxed me, I've been coughing all day. And my stomach feels a little off. I'm hoping it's just allergies, I ran out of one of my medicines and was having trouble getting it refilled, so that could be the reason for the cough. I do the same to my kids--if they decide they want to go to school when I tell them no TV, tablet, etc. (and of course they don't have a fever), I know they're good!

I am having the hardest time sleeping! I slept a LOT Saturday night and woke up at 8:45 so it makes sense I couldn't sleep Sunday night. But I got about 6 hours Sunday night and then was up until midnight last night. I don't think my mind was racing or anything, I just wasn't sleepy. And I did manage to get up and go to bootcamp.

I did have to take the kids to gymnastics for DD's pictures yesterday and we didn't get home until 7:30. So maybe it's because we had dinner so late? Tonight will be another late-ish night but I'll try to get to bed earlier and see.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 11:43 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Tonya, I LOL'd about your DS deciding to go to school--it's amazing how their perspective changes when you tell them they can't have screen time if they stay home! Sorry to hear you were unwell, but it sounds like you've gotten back on the horse. I hear you on needing everyone out of the house--I told a friend I felt like I needed EVERYONE--inc. the dog--out of the house for 2-3 days to get back on track after Christmas/winter break, and wouldn't you know? Instead I have them home for 'snow.' So ridiculous! This area drives me crazy. I mean, seriously--it was an inch. Harumph.

Pratima, sorry to hear you're not feeling well, either! I guess tis the season. I'm not sleeping well also. I was drinking a glass or two of wine a night--leftover from the holidays, but now it's gone so I'm wondering if that was affecting me.

I managed a 60 minute P57 yesterday, plus a little hike in the woods with DS2 and the dog. Today I did my scheduled 30 minute P57, plus a 15 min. stretch. I'm wicked stiff. I think I've been having too much salt, too. So I'm really flushing out today with tons of water. I need to cut myself off soon, though, or I'll be peeing constantly while I run my errands later!