Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-15-20, 08:21 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Jan 12:
~neighborhood walk in the wind before the snow came. It was quite invigorating to walk by the shore & see the waves pounding the rocks.
~gentle forward bends, hip openers, & legs up the wall on my own

Jan 13:
~Essentrics PCW 9 - standing
~MFML: Stepping Stones to Practice 1 - this was lovely, gentle, & back to basics
~headstand & legs up the wall

Jan 14:
~taught Essentrics
~Gentle stretches on my own...Jill Miller’s reclined leg series, deer pose, seated half forward bend, reclined sukhasana variation, wide leg forward bend, legs up the wall.

It’s been snowing off & on since yesterday and it’s piling up! We rarely get a big dump like this, some years we don’t get any. Weather everywhere is pretty wacky these days. Funny when we went outside, the trees were laden with snow yet there was one lonely camellia flower peeking out, a lovely little bright spot. We went out for a walk, only got half a block before I slipped and landed on my knee. The perils of not owning proper winter boots! It’s a bit tender, but not too bad, so another reason to keep things gentle. I feel like I’m starting to lose some strength and cardio stamina, ugh!

Helen - Gosh, if a 50 min walk is a TURD, I might as well give up now, lol! I’m in recovery mode so I feel anything I do towards that, even if it’s very gentle, counts.

Lili - I wore a boot for quite a while and it didn’t do much for me other than disturb my sleep. My foot is feeling better so I hope I’m on the right track with IMS. I’m doing my PT homework & go for another IMS treatment on Friday.

Cleda - You are amazing!

Honey - I like my streaming subscriptions and downloads as I’m on the road a lot between our rural house & little city condo. We are retired & travel a lot as well. We will be moving to the city permanently in March. I’ve pretty much retired my dvds, recently did a big purge.

Kay - So glad Ur is on the mend.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 04:13 PM  
Helen

PAM
SNOW - Even though it's weird weather, getting piles of snow must be nice - so long as you don't need to be in amongst it too much (and risk the slips ). I've been to the snow only once to try skiing (not impressed) and never seen the stuff falling.
FOOT - Glad it's feeling better. Had no idea those boots were meant to be worn to bed as well - egad / yuk!

CLEDA
SLEEP / MEDITATION - if you fell asleep, must've needed it.
VIDS - Thanks for your 'start story'

HONEY
Loved your intro ! thanks for the down-to-earth honesty. My children (22 yrs) have discovered that adulting is hard. Moving house is VERY high on the stress list, not to be underestimated. Glad you're back with the vids and joined us My buddy is a solid convert about vids since she's realised the quality of instruction is MUCH better than any gym IRL (maybe except a personal trainer).

LILI
LMOD - Sounds like you're definitely beyond their beginner level! I don't have any of their Sh'Bams, but find Body Jam quite fun - makes me feel like I'm kind of, sort of, maybe, dancing? CXWORKX looks tough though.
Do they offer older workouts that are on the flat-back stage ? or are they all on the new circular one with back-images?

KAY
Take the weight-loss however it happened, so long as you're well.

My start-story
After having children, no longer had full-time student discount at the gym & added 2x creche fees. Just couldn't afford it. Mother bought me a Leslie (Tomollello!) walking vid (in 1998). I was hooked on the notion immediately and bought a bunch 2nd hand from USA (Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, quite a few duds ...) - the market here is STILL negligible.

All riiiighhttt.... I'll count it, and yesterday as well then.
Supposed to have done an upper body day, but I'm still balking with my shoulder - really hoping it'll be right after 6 months, but that's only 2 months away & it doesn't feel like it'll be right by then.

Jan 15/31
2020 15/366
Wed., 15-Jan.
dog walk 60min
Leslie - Start! - Mile 1 15min, at a jog to have a first go on the rebounder
also - 3 hours at work (been going every day, for 2-3 hrs), lots of walking back/forth & lifting/shifting piles of papers, furniture, texts, ...

I'm in toss-mode - emptied a 4-drawer filing cabinet that's right next to my desk that was left jam-packed when a woman retired 4-5 YEARS ago! Found parent permission letters in there for a school dance for 2005! Lots of other totally tossable stuff - it's a pain to do (time-wise) but SOMEONE needed to!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 07:25 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - glad you decided to count the dog walks! Of the Les Mills I've done, the first Body Pump I did was filmed outdoors in some beautiful location. The rest have been intro workouts filmed in a gym. I have decided to push past the intros and just go for it.
Pam - having a city condo and country house sounds perfect, except for the upkeep. I think with PF it probably depends on what causes it as to what fixes it, but I'm just grateful it has never returned!
Cleda - easy days are required!
Honey - thanks for sharing! I started doing workouts on TV way back with Joannie Greggains! At the time they would advertise the original Firm workouts at the outrageous price of $40! I got consistent with exercise after my last child and a thyroid issue. That's what motivated me, and now it's habit! Being able to workout at home before work while the rest of the house slept worked for me.

Today - changed location for my run and did 3.5 miles of run/walk. Afterwards I walked the dogs. Our normal walk is 1.25 miles, so not too much, but it's something.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 02:00 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone!

Today’s workouts:
~ETV Classical Stretch episode 1123 Shoulder Pain - very pleasant & gentle with similar trademarks to PCW 9
~Jenny Ford MAA Hawaii
~Yoga Collective: Open Your Hips - started out with some interesting variations but ended up in the splits...definitely not in my wheelhouse, lol
~Headstand & legs up the wall

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 04:53 AM  
Helen

Jan. 16/31
2020 16/366
Thu., 16th Jan.
dog walk, 50min
Cindy - Shape Your Body - Workouts 1+3 Mix, 48min
+ another 2.5 hrs at work, tossing, shifting, sorting, ...

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-16-20, 05:38 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

16/31

A windy dog walk and then Les Mills Body Attack 101, the 30 minute version. I like that most classes seem to have a 30, 45 & 55 minute option. This was a mix of intense cardio, most of which I did on my rebounder, along with some strength moves. I kept up fairly well, but it kicked my butt!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 06:21 PM  
Helen

LILI
Hey - 16/31 too?! GO every-day TEAM!!
There's a reason that "attack" is in the title.
There are some in my library, but they are definitely associated with a sense of dread.
How's the change of diet going now?

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-16-20, 06:59 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Missed yesterday. Ur had a good check-up & got her staples out. She's cone free. Still leash walking her because of her propensity to eat stuff, dirt, rocks, grass, dead trees. The list goes on.

Multiple dogs walks both days.

Pathology report was not good. Ur had a 12x14 cm necrotizing tumor that was a spindle cell sarcoma. Dh & I discussed it & we won't be doing chemo. Who knows how long this took to grow. She's 11. Life span for a pit is 9-15 years. She's acting great, eating well & enjoying life. We stopped on the way home & visited Ur's favorite people-our local vet & staff. I don't know who was happier.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 09:13 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Falling behind??

Nooooooooooo. I cannot let that happen.

Everyone is doing great so far this month. No time for shout outs. I want to get to the bike. So many workouts, so little time.

1/15/2020: 3+ miles on the treadmill (45 minute Fun run - Peloton). How was I to know that the challenge would (finally?) post the schedule on the website so I could get a jump start to bank some rides?? So when I discovered that and came home from work: Challenge ride #1 Power Zone 45 minutes with Matt + a 10 minute cooldown ride + a stretch

1/16/2020: Power Zone Challenge ride #2 with Denis Morton (45 minutes - all zone 2 & 3 : OHHHhhh how I missed the sweatfests of steady state in zones 2 & 3. ) + a stretch. I am also proud because I got on the treadmill at almost 9 p.m. after dinner to get my mile done. While listening to another podcast.

So the month continues:

16/16 workouts
16/16 mile a day (truly wanted to bail on this but knew I had to check in)
16/366 (not sure this will continue ~ but looks good for now!!)
7/10 podcasts

almost done with book 1 for January. Picked another book at the library last night that they had on "hold" for me. And so the goals continue ....

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 04:18 PM  
Helen

Jan 17/31
2020 17/366

Fri., 17th Jan.
Mindy - Total Body Blast - Cardio Mix 46 min
Bob - The Biggest Loser - Weight Loss Yoga - Yoga Strength 24 min
dog walk 48 min

CLEDA
That's truly impressive, at 9pm, given the time you rise !! It's as if I went and did a workout after midnight!
Your mile/day, podcasts, & book reading goals are going well - you could have just inspired me to do something similar for February (I'll need something extra to keep me out of the back-to-work mire).

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.