Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-08, 12:30 AM  
erin4425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
Can't help wondering how Greg feels about making an exercise video in the 80's that made him pretty much a one hit wonder . . . only to have the thing reemerge 20 years later and be popular again. Bet he never would have guessed!
I agree! We should consider creating a fan club devoted to him and BOS (maybe I am too much of a "buns" fanatic)! I guess I would just love it if Greg could somehow autograph my DVD or something like that!!

Anyway, good for him! Not many of us can make it big on one thing for soooo many decades! If "buns" is not the epitome of the American Dream, I don't know what is!?!?!

I had some time today (between house chores/basic life) and did my buns routine. The floorwork still kicks my buns!

And how are all your buns feeling.....?
erin4425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 09:48 AM  
Gardengirl

Believe it or not, I think I'm making progress! It didn't hurt as bad yesterday as it did the week before. (That's not to say it didn't hurt . . . just not as bad!) Now I'll be really happy when I start squeezing the cheeseburgers out of my thighs!

Linda, maybe try BOS without the leg weights! I bow down to you that you could even get through it with leg weights!

Yep, let's hear about some transformations! Lol!!
Old 10-18-08, 06:28 PM  
erin4425

Smile Buns Transformations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
Believe it or not, I think I'm making progress! It didn't hurt as bad yesterday as it did the week before. (That's not to say it didn't hurt . . . just not as bad!) Now I'll be really happy when I start squeezing the cheeseburgers out of my thighs!

Linda, maybe try BOS without the leg weights! I bow down to you that you could even get through it with leg weights!

Yep, let's hear about some transformations! Lol!!
Let me tell you about a buns transformation! As a longtime OBOS fan, I have always incorporated the workout into my weekly routine. But recenlty, I have found myself using the workout much more since it was released on DVD (like every other day, minimum).

My mother-in-law (just yesterday) asked me (and I quote): "Have you been doing something different? Your butt has risen up since the last time I saw you. It is up here (she actually touched where it was...she's my odd mother-in-law) when before it was down here (she physically showed me where that was too, and that was NOT as good of a place as it is now)!"

What a compliment from a hard-to-please mother-in-law! If my mother-in-law can see my "buns" results, I know that this workout is doing something right!

What about the rest of you? What is new in "buns" world? Is everyone still "squeezing those cheeseburgers out of their thighs"?
erin4425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 07:03 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

You know, now that we can just do that floor work chapter, I'm finding I do this more often. I hope I can soon say I have results like you, Erin. Way to go!
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 07:07 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Well, when I first started doing the workout, I could barely do it as is....now after doing it once a week since I got it, I'm up to using some light ankle weights with it.

I'm basically doing that workout plus an Iballet floor workout like twice a week.

Have I noticed any changes? Not sure if my butt LOOKS any higher, but it definitely FEELS tighter! And at nearly 50 years old, I'll take that tight feeling anyday!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 07:30 PM  
Tish

I just received my copy of BoS yesterday. While I found it challenging (yep, it burned in all the right places but I already had glute DOMS before I started), I believe this is not a "must have". Sorry to those diehard BoS users. I've just noticed this thread gets resurrected every time it slips too many pages down. So I just want to say some things for those still on the fence:

If you have any Tae Bo with floorwork, you don't need this. Cardio Barre Ultimate Adv has a lower body floor workout with comparable moves - plus for the same price (more shipping) you get a full adv barre workout and a separate upper body workout. Even though the moves are crazy fast, you get more bang for your buck. I think if you combined the floorwork with Squeeze 1 or Firm Vol 1, Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates, Karen Voights GWW, or Winsor B&T, you'll get the same results. I guess what I'm getting at is this workout is 20 bucks for basically a 30 min workout with high cheese factor, because few of us bought it for the aerobic section.

Now for the positives because I don't want anyone to think I'm sour on this one. There's no dread factor. You will work quads, hamstrings, inner thighs, saddlebags, lower abs with this and it will burn while you're doing it! If you do the full workout you'll hit every muscle group. Greg Smithey is quirky and charming as he tortures you with a smile. Following the aerobics he throws in some push ups and ab work. It does have a nostalgic charm for those who loved the 80's. I know with consistency results will come quickly. And if you fall in love with it and use it religiously, then it's worth the 20.00.
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 07:57 AM  
Gardengirl

Erin, what in the world is your MIL doing checking out your butt? Lol!! How funny! Now my Mom? Yep, she'd have definitely said AND done all of what you said. But not my MIL!

I am glad this one gets a bit easier as you go along. Maybe someday I'll consider ankle weights!

One thing I do like about BOS is that Greg doesn't go at such a fast pace. I just don't like doing body weight workouts or weight workouts that have to go at lightening speed to make a time quota. Makes me feel rushed. And while I agree with Tish that I probably have other workouts that do floorwork similar to this, I just like that it's chaptered where I can get to it quickly, and for some strange reason, the time goes by quickly (and that doesn't happen often for me with these type of workouts).
Old 10-19-08, 08:53 AM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I just had to add my 2 cents about Cardio Barre.

I did in fact use that workout and the moves were in fact "crazy fast", and therefore had too much potential for muscle pulls, bad form, etc.

I also find the BOS workout as a complement to Karen's GWW, Winsor B&T, Iballets, various pilates workouts, etc. Just another way of not getting bored doing the same thing....

Another quick floorwork section that's really good is Barry's Bootcamp. The instructor is a tad bit annoying to me, but the floorwork section is maybe 10 minutes long at most and has leg lifts and donkey kicks....good stuff!

I just think that more floorwork instructors should bring back in those donkey kicks, etc.....I remember my mom doing them way back years ago, and I still think they're worth doing today!!!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 09:14 AM  
peanut1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri1222
I just had to add my 2 cents about Cardio Barre.

I did in fact use that workout and the moves were in fact "crazy fast", and therefore had too much potential for muscle pulls, bad form, etc.
I know this thread isn't about Cardio Barre but I really agree with this statement. I was going to add on the *Power Thigh* workout from Ultimate Advanced workout the other day and I lasted about 15 seconds because I thought it moved soooo fast and I honestly didn't see the point. I mean, I get the *cardio* idea that they are promoting but this is a 15 minute add-on workout. I sort of figured it would be a little more focused on toning. And, I agree, I think it is difficult for anyone to maintain their form when they're flinging their legs about that fast.

On topic, I never had OBoS before it was on DVD but I'm really enjoying it. I like having a little variety in my floorwork.

And, I'd like to thank Erin for starting this thread. I had heard people mentioning this one for years and I never would have gotten it if it wasn't on DVD.
peanut1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 10:01 AM  
Gardengirl

I've heard people talk about BOS in the past, but never paid much attention. Especially since it was VHS. Having recently burned out on lower body weight work and having it now on DVD sparked my interest. I'm on an unweighted and floorwork kick right now to change things up. I'm really enjoying it and it doesn't have the dread factor I was having with weighted lower body workouts. I'm sure I'll change it around again, but for now - it's great!

I think I will try mixing BOS with GWW and WB&T. Thanks for the idea!

Tags
buns of steel, of steel