Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-20, 05:22 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Does Anyone Else Not Care for Les Mills Workouts?

This is sure to be an unpopular opinion, but so far I just don’t click with Les Mills on demand. It’s not the workouts per se, but the atmosphere: loud music, pulsing lights, yelling instructors. It’s just not my vibe. I even get annoyed by the accents and I’ve worked with charming Aussies in the past. Is it too masculine perhaps? I can’t figure it out, but the trial will most likely mean the end of my subscription.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 06:43 PM  
tangerine

I feel this way yes! I only liked their BodyStep workout, there seemed to be less of that dark atmosphere - I don't like that whole 'tough guy' vibe. Too bad because I think the music is stellar and the workouts themselves are pretty good.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 06:51 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Although I LOVE Combat (especially the Beachbody DVD set they did), I feel the same way as you do about all their other workouts. I have tried all the other categories they have, but I don't enjoy them at all for all the reasons you mentioned. Combat seems more lighthearted than all the others, and Dan and Rach are a lot more fun than the other Les Mills instructors.
Old 03-31-20, 06:55 PM  
alisoncooks

I thought about signing up for the free trial, but I went over and watched some videos. Meh...they don't speak to me.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 07:08 PM  
manleym

I had Body Pump and honestly, didn't care of it. It seemed too "over-the-top" for me. I didn't like the atmosphere either - dark, loud music, pulsing lights, yelling instructors - not my thing. Overstimulation.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 07:19 AM  
Rhonda

I had a subscription and when it expired I never renewed. I did enjoy Combat but after a while got tired of it. Not sure why but just couldn't get into it anymore.

Bodypump I have never liked, guess I don't care for endless reps.

Body Step I enjoyed the athletic ones.

Yoga Flow I only did the shorter ones as I can't do yoga for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.

Never tried the barre workouts as I don't care for those type of workouts. HIIT or something like that are just too hard to even think about doing.

I don't think I will be a subscriber again.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 08:40 AM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

I teach 6 Les Mills formats- I love BodyAttack and BodyStep. CX and TONE are my second choices. BodyPump and BodyCombat are not my bag of chips (I don’t teach those formats and never felt the need to jump on a bandwagon).
I have a 60 day free trial through my instructor portal but I haven’t activated the offer and I probably won’t.

Some of the filmings were done at their global LIVE events, others are smaller in a studio. Their trainings are gold standard. The delivery of the content is elevated.

As a long time home video exerciser we see and notice more than a non video fanatic consumer would notice in a home workout. We are a smart crowd and our expectations are elevated.
Old 04-01-20, 12:45 PM  
Hazel Porter

I taught Body Pump for a number of hears in the late 90s and early aughts and just loved their classes (I also trained for Body Combat but it never took off at my gym). The atmosphere in the room was electric and motivating

Sadly, none of that seems to translate to their streaming offerings, at least for me. I just find them grating and annoying, too "in your face" for my little home workout space.
Old 04-01-20, 02:12 PM  
clerkin11

I don't like all of their programs, but I do love Body Combat. I love Rach and Dan. I may have a little crush on Dan. He doesn't bother me at all

I'm not really a fan of Body Pump. I'd rather do Cathe for weight workouts.
I've done a few Body Flow stretches that were fantastic!!

I need to try more of the other programs. BodyStep looks promising. BodyAttack looks hard!!

Oh I did a dance one too - Sh'Bam and it was fun. About the intensity of a walking workout, but good music and lots of fun.
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 02:12 PM  
leigh1673

I used to love doing the live classes when I belonged to a Gold's gym.

I tried it online and just didn't click. For me, the draw of those types of classes is the energy of the teacher and the people around me (I feel the same about Zumba).
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
les mills, les mills on demand