Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-19, 04:24 PM  
Negin

Thank you all so much for all your helpful replies. I'm going to take a look at all your links and suggestions.
Old 08-28-19, 04:41 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've been using Melt Method and basically abandoned the Miracle Ball stuff.
Oh, and in a general way, years ago I had neck pain that I couldn't seem to attribute to any particular problem. I sorta thought it might be my pillows, so I upgraded to memory foam and haven't looked back. For me, the actual Tempur-Pedic memory foam pillows are by far the best, but even the cheap ones are more comfortable than the regular sort, IMO.
Anna, thank you for the reminder about the Melt Method. I remember looking into it a few years ago. Not sure if I'll get it now, but I am saving the info in case I need it later. I just placed an order for some Lee Holden DVDs and other stuff mentioned above.

Pillows - yes, I ordered one, but not the one that you mentioned. Is this the one that you are referring to? I got this one.
Old 08-28-19, 04:47 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I have a recurring neck/shoulder problem.

My favorite ball size for massaging it is Jill Miller's Alpha ball 3.5".
https://www.tuneupfitness.com/alpha-ball

Kassandra has some nice yin yoga neck sessions free on youtube.

I have the 30-day challenge of Lee Holden's, each of which is ~7 minutes. I've been doing one every morning after coffee for 1.5 years. Not neck specific, but nice gentle movement that always feels good.

If you strengthen your neck muscles, you can possibly take some strain off of the bones. You would have to see if it makes it better or worse for you. I love this youtube video for that. Don't let the clickbait title scare you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgNGiDMS2DE
Thank you, Nancy. BTW, I love your dog!

Do you have the Lee Holden DVDs also? I just ordered three of his DVDs and am wondering about the 30-day challenge also. Seven minutes is certainly do-able, but I'm not exactly keen on spending $47 each month. I've always been averse to streaming. I like DVDs, but don't want to keep paying for something. I wish that the 7-minutes would be on a DVD.

I love Yoga with Kassandra and need to do them more often.

Thank you for the other YouTube link also.
Old 08-28-19, 05:05 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
here's Debbie Sieber's neck practice from total body solutions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XocUMhdlNM
Thank you for this.

I like videos like this that are in real time. I have been following Bob & Brad on YouTube, but they frustrate me, since they just reel off all the exercises, without doing them all. They show them and then tell you to do them x number of times. I hate having to keep hitting the pause button.

One more rant while I'm at it. Since I have pretty much every single CS and Essentrics DVD, I have to say that I am disappointed that very few of them (if any) truly focus on the neck. Neck problems are so common and yes, I know that CS is all about total body, but some neck work would have been helpful. Don't get me wrong, I still love CS, but this does irritate me.
Old 08-28-19, 06:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I wish that the 7-minutes would be on a DVD.
it is - I got mine from ebay. you get 60 min of content on the DVD (i.e., there's 7 min routines and longer ones to choose from).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Minutes-o...sAAOSw8j1dNRaD

I am also not into streaming subscriptions.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 02:36 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
it is - I got mine from ebay. you get 60 min of content on the DVD (i.e., there's 7 min routines and longer ones to choose from).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Minutes-o...sAAOSw8j1dNRaD

I am also not into streaming subscriptions.
Jeannine, thank you so much!
Old 08-29-19, 03:45 AM  
Negin

I know that I'm likely overthinking all this. If you can, please bear with me, since I tend to love planning. I'm thinking of what to do further on down the line.

My plan for immediate healing is to do as many of all these suggestions as possible, and for as often as I can.

Once I heal, if I hopefully do, I will continue to do them, my question is about other workouts at that stage:

* I love swimming. The doctor told me to lay off it for now, which I'm doing. I only do breaststroke, not the crawl or anything that strains the neck too much. I wonder if I can swim again? I hope so. It's my favorite exercise.

* I will probably need to be more gentle from here on out. No more sudden sharp movements in Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, etc. I love Leslie and Jessica, but one of their moves in particular has likely exacerbated my neck issue. I don't like walking outdoors where we live.

* I should most likely not do any more heavy weights - say nothing more than 10 pounds? Heavy weights may have worsened my neck also.

Although I'll miss many of my workouts and am not thrilled about idea of purging, I also don't want to suffer in pain for much longer. I think that I'm coming to a stage in my life where I should only focus on workouts that feel good and right - all of the above, Classical Stretch, Essentrics, Yoga, and Lee Holden (which I'll be new to).

Please feel free to share your comments and thoughts. It's hard to find info online for what to do in the long-term. Also, doctors aren't always the best when it comes to listening to all that. They seem to be more concerned about immediate healing (understandably). Even my PT last year wasn't the most helpful with all this.
Old 08-29-19, 06:04 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I think you will have to give up the heavier weights, at least if you are lifting overhead. I know after my neck fusion a few years ago the doctor told me no more lifting over 10 pounds over my head.

I've been following this thread with interest because my neck flared up about 2 months ago - lots of popping, cracking and pain. I need to see my doctor, but I'm putting it off until I get a major project off my desk at work. In the meantime, lots of massages - which feels great, but only lasts a short while.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 06:41 AM  
donnadc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Thank you, Nancy. BTW, I love your dog!

Do you have the Lee Holden DVDs also? I just ordered three of his DVDs and am wondering about the 30-day challenge also. Seven minutes is certainly do-able, but I'm not exactly keen on spending $47 each month. I've always been averse to streaming. I like DVDs, but don't want to keep paying for something. I wish that the 7-minutes would be on a DVD.
You can get the 30 day challenge dvd on Amazon. Right now it's only $21.98 It's from YMAA but it's $29.99 on their site.
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 07:09 AM  
Diana3271

txhsmom I have neck pain from 2 car accidents, and now I also have degeneration. I have went through several rounds of chiro care as well as PT. My most recent chiro care, the Dr. said not to do any overhead work. Most recently I have been getting acupressure massages and that has shown to give me the most relief.

I am also following this thread.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, cervical spondolysis, egoscue dvd, janice novak, neck tension, posture, yoga