Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-16, 06:11 PM  
dmlarue1

OT numbness in arm

hi all
had weird experience today. woke up and felt fine. did my pilates workouts, had breakfast got showered and dressed, started driving to work and started having numbness in my left jaw,arm and fingers. i drove to ER and they checked me out, said no issues with heart and no stroke. they took a mri of my head (but not my neck!) and couldnt find anything.

has anyone ever had anything like this? i have had nerve pain before but not just numbness...its really odd...now i have to wait until monday to see my pcp so she can order a mri of my neck as the hosoital doctor wont order it

i am really disappointed...its like the doctors didnt cate if i had an answer or not about what is going on
sorry for typos, uding my tablet so i can rest my neck
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 06:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm glad you went to the ER.

no, i haven't, but getting your neck checked is also a good idea because some people develop clots in their neck. continue to monitor yourself with regard to pain, numbness, fever, etc. so that when you visit your PCP, you'll have a complete log of how you're doing.

sometimes numbness comes from a pinched nerve in the spine, including the neck.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 06:59 PM  
cherimac

I am sorry about that! I had numbness in my calf about a week ago but it was almost immediately after going beyond my capability into a full split! Maybe something in the the workouts pinched a nerve? That happens to me if I puts too hard-usually in yoga or stretching. I am a type A so I tend to push too hard at times.

Glad you're okay and hope the pcp helps!
Old 12-30-16, 07:01 PM  
Fitbezzy

I started physical therapy last December because my thumb went numb. I had had a stiff neck for weeks which I ignored thinking it was stress. Once the thumb went numb, I knew something was up. They said that my desk job was causing my shoulder muscles to atrophy and the muscles were getting pulled out of alignment as the pectoral muscles pulled the shoulders forward. A nerve was being pinched somewhere in the mess which caused the numbness and tingling down the length of the arm.This is common supposedly for anyone who works a desk job for long hours. It took 2 months of PT 2x/week to restore feeling in my thumb and another 4 months for the pain to go away. I hope you find answers soon!!
Fitbezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:36 PM  
noodles

I had numbness to my left arm with herniated disc in my neck at C5 -C6. The numbness occurred mainly at night when sleeping in certain positions and otherwise it was electric shock pain down the arm. Too bad the ER didn't do an MRI of your neck: (
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 09:05 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I am certainly not a doctor, nor am I an expert, but I would definitely pursue your symptoms. It's not uncommon for women to get misdiagnosed in an ER setting. Your age and apparent fitness and health can be detrimental to a doctor wanting to think you might have heart issues. I've seen it happen.

I'm curious what tests they actually did on you, besides the head MRI?

Good luck and I hope your symptoms are nothing more than pinched nerve related.
Old 12-31-16, 09:45 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

I agree with Jean Marie. I have read too many articles that say women are misdiagnosed in the ER. Please follow up. You need an answer as soon as possible whether it was a nerve problem or something more serious.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 02:38 PM  
Stephanie_B

Totally agree with Jeanne. FWIW I have those symptoms, and sometimes severe ring and middle finger pain. It's from a broken facet joint in my neck, and disc herniations. Steroid injections help, but I'm seriously considering fusion as it's getting to be very difficult to drive and ya know use my hand (and damn it's my dominant hand, sigh).

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 03:23 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Please ask for a second opinion on your cervical spine/neck. Best wishes, I hope everything turns out okay.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 03:54 PM  
suzannaerin

Jeanne has good advice. I hope you are ok.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote