Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-16, 06:34 AM  
Dabbadooey

My brother lost 100lbs, and now he's

an expert on everything about anything diet related. Actually he was already an expert on everything, now he 's added diet to his repertoire. He did it through strict portion control and walking. He's a mega walker...10-15 miles a day. He has kept the weight off now for about a year and a half. Now he thinks he knows it all. Ya'll know anybody like this?
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 06:46 AM  
violingal3

My MIL and SILs...but after 16 years of knowing them, they have yet to successfully lose weight! Ugh, don't get me started. Well, kudos to your brother! That's a huge accomplishment! I know it probabaly drives you nuts, there's no glory is leading a healthy and fit lifestyle when you're surrounded by people who live on either side of the extreme. I'd just be supportive and encouraging as best I can and just avoid engaging in any diet talk with him.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 08:15 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
an expert on everything about anything diet related. Actually he was already an expert on everything, now he 's added diet to his repertoire. He did it through strict portion control and walking. He's a mega walker...10-15 miles a day. He has kept the weight off now for about a year and a half. Now he thinks he knows it all. Ya'll know anybody like this?
I have two brothers and a sister like this. One of my brothers got some chicks last February. Before they were delivered, I asked him if he needed to borrow my incubator. He declaimed a 17 minute speech on how he knew how to raise chicks.

Thirty minutes after the chicks arrived, he was on my doorstep asking to borrow my incubator. I kept my mouth shut. He's 55 years old. He's not going to change.

Oh, and the religious ed director at my church. Apparently, if you weren't in her class when she showed the movie adaptation of that Bible story, you don't know that Bible story (that was a snarky shot. She works hard to be prepared, but she really does have to be the expert on all things, not just movies of Bible stories).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 08:26 AM  
MathTeacher

I know two people like that.

One is a woman I work with. She is an expert on EVERY subject. I thought she and a co-worker were going to come to blows over the word Tupperware. We all use Tupperware to describe anything plastic that we put leftovers in. She went NUTS because the bowl in question was made by RubberMaid. "Hand me that RubberMaid" does not sound as good as "Hand me that Tupperware."

And the other is my DH's uncle.
Old 08-07-16, 08:36 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathTeacher View Post
I know two people like that.

One is a woman I work with. She is an expert on EVERY subject. I thought she and a co-worker were going to come to blows over the word Tupperware. We all use Tupperware to describe anything plastic that we put leftovers in. She went NUTS because the bowl in question was made by RubberMaid. "Hand me that RubberMaid" does not sound as good as "Hand me that Tupperware."

And the other is my DH's uncle.
LOL Your Tupperware story cracked me up.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 08:41 AM  
Izzy

A patron at the library I work at. Well, we get a lot of know-it-alls but this one is about fitness. He worked in the corporate world and got over 300#. He retired and now walks 10 miles a day and bikes everywhere. He now weighs less than he did 30 years ago. But he lectures everyone all the time about the benefits of walking. I park pretty far from the library but he's always riding by and making comments about getting my exercise in, getting my steps in (I don't count steps), taking the stairs etc. he does this to everyone, patrons and staff. I know he means well and I shrug it off but it does annoy some folks. I told him I exercise almost daily and bike the trail he walks, but he is so self absorbed he doesn't remember what others say to him. He will even sit on the bench out front and cheer the folks who bike or ride to the library and tell others to walk more. I am glad he's doing well but I imagine some people find him to be a pita.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 11:20 AM  
JessicaW

My take away from all of this is: hmmm... maybe there is something to this whole walking thing

shhh..Don't tell the know-it-alls
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 11:45 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

MathTeacher - I am ROTFL about the Tupperware story!

I have a friend who's husband is a negative know it all. Nothing is ever right and he really doesn't want it to be. He shoots down any suggested solutions, just wants sympathy and attention. Ugh!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 12:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
MathTeacher - I am ROTFL about the Tupperware story!
these made me lol.

my math teacher in high school put this sign in the front of the class that said "those of you who think you know it all are annoying to those of us who do." this was after 2 months of class, and this one kid would always blurt out the answers.

when i encounter someone like that, i just silently listen and smile. otherwise, when you start chiming in (either in agreement or not), the conversation gets more intense and aggressive. :-/

a coworker of mine recently lost weight and improved his other blood readings (we were both on the same medically supervised regimen). he's generally pleasant and supportive but one annoying habit he did when we were eating lunch together was he held up his index finger (like making the "#1" sign) in reaction to something i said!

i've never seen him do that before!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 12:08 PM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaW View Post
My take away from all of this is: hmmm... maybe there is something to this whole walking thing

How long do you think it takes to walk 10 miles? I mean, it would vary for speed and stride, but that would have to be more than an hour, right?

Walking (inside) is the one thing I do that I actually stick with. I have to start on the hour, though, in order to catch one of the umpteen Law & Order reruns that are on tv at that hour.