Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-02-21, 11:57 PM  
happyladi

Yes the toddler splashing in the puddles drew me in. Reminded me of my son when he was little (he’s 44 now, how did that happen?). Don’t think he still does it, but I do, however I prefer Springtime mud puddles and bare feet. OK what I did today.
Interval Walking from Get Healthy U TV. Was fun 35 minute workout. Kept up with all of it except she did this running forward, touch the floor, run back, touch the floor. Could do the running, but touch the floor? Nah I would have landed right on my noggin!

Also did Day 2 of Pahla B’s new Weight loss Challenge. It was fun. Involved 20 seconds of straight walking, then 20 seconds of combination move that still kept heat rate elevated, then 20 seconds of a exercise using weights. About 24 minutes.

Then I did my first floor work with a Pahla B abs/glutes. I’d avoided floor work cause it was so hard for me to get up and down from the floor but I had no trouble today. Yeah me! It was only about 17 minutes or so.

See you tomorrow.
happyladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 02:14 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Jan 2:
~Taught Essentrics on zoom
~Reps to the Rhythm: 2000 Steps in 16 minutes - I installed the AdBlock app in hopes it would cut back on ad interruptions and I didn’t get any in this one. Time will tell if it’s a coincidence.
~25 min rebounding
~Body Groove: Groovy Yoga
~YogiBethC: Be Kind to Your Wandering Mind Meditation
~Insight Timer: Sound Meditation Flow Chimes

Welcome hapiladi! I’m 63 & I think the Reps to the Rhythm lad is pretty cute!

Helen - You do an awesome job of starting us off!

Cleda - You’re off to a roaring start as I expected!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 06:13 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Catching up

It's my morning routine and now I DO have something to post. So onward I trek!

Pam: I had to start the new year off right. It sets the tone for the rest of the year and you all know I had a wavering moment of not wanting to do "Every Day in 2021" ... that will never do. Then I joined that silly strength challenge. And now I don't know what I've gotten myself into?!?

Helen: I knew you'd come up with a pretty "Welcome" for our happyladi! I just knew it. And I should have known you had it ready to push enter and send it off!

Lili: I don't know if you do any Peloton strength workouts. That's what I'm on to now so I don't know if I'll have many recs. We'll see

Happyladi: I hear you on the floorwork. So accomplished when we do get er done. I have a terrible time with vertigo and am petrified it will return, so I'm super cautious on any up/down, up/down motion (that some instructors are very fond of). But like anything, I suppose the more I do it, the better I become at doing it.

Kay: Waving at you. I know you'll pop in soon. I'm SURE of it.

Waves to any/all lurkers and it may be 2021, but my saysings are the same -
On to me, me and all me!!!!

1/2/2021: Core 10 mins w/Olivia, Full Body 10 mins w/Selena Samuela, Full Body 20 mins. Robin Arzon **, Tread Bootcamp w/Chase Tucker (45 mins.) and wrapped it up with a low Impact 20 minute ride with Hannah Frankson and a 5 min. bike stretch with her as well.

** I absolutely LOVED this strength workout. I like some of Peloton's strength, most I despise. They have a strong tendency to go to planks, side planks, push ups, etc. I don't care for those so once I find some strength workouts that don't have them, I stick to them. I have a handfull of workouts I do (mostly by Adrian Williams) But this challenge will force me to try other instructors/workouts and as I had hoped, find new gems. This was one of them. A lot of the moves were actually kettlebell moves (athough she did them with a hand weight - I used kbs.) Definitely bookmarked for future use.

The challenge will also get me better at push ups and core (not that I will ever like them, but ya never know!) So that's one of the reasons I like to branch out. (Oh who am I kidding? Nancy said, "Let's do it!' Lemming Cleda said, "Sure .......... why not?" )

In addition to this challenge, we signed up for a 4 ride a week Ally Love challenge as well. Mixed something or other is what it's called. The rides look to be fun and not hard. Just good rides. It will give us exposure to some more of Ally's library.

As for the strength? There's usually 3 or 4 things listed. Ranges in time from 40-60 minutes. and they add on a ride or not. We can do all of them (which I have been doing) or use it as a "buffet" and just choose what we want to do. I wanted to start out the year right. I am off of work until Thurs. So I figured I'd give it my all for the first week. I was a little worried about today (I'm a touch sore), but come to find out? It's some core and YOGA. Uh-oh. Will we get a snow storm if I do YOGA? Ha! stay tuned. You all know I do better with a schedule.

So I never wrapped up 2020! My goals were (mostly) met. I lost a ton of weight, I did Every Day in 2020 and I'm pleased. 2021 will bring much of the same. I will get to goal (Weight loss) this year and start maintenance. I took more pictures and compared them to Jan. 2020 and there's a HUGE difference! YAY ME ...

That's it. Make it a great day.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 07:00 AM  
Helen

CLEDA
It's SO good that we know each other well enough now to accurately predict behaviours.
Pleased you enjoyed the strength workout. Your usual thing is cardio, in particular endurance cardio, so it's outside your comfort zone but we all need resistance training. Good for you for tackling it, and even better for enjoying it!

happyladi
Declaring my age: 57, so you have a full decade on me. I hope I'm still checking in somewhere (here?) in another 10 years.
My girls are 23 (twins). Chuffed that the toddler drew you in!
I'll have to look at Phala's new challenge though it may need to be put aside for a future time.

PAM
I've used AdBlock Plus for years. It's great! Now and again I need to disable it for a specific page to be able to be read - usually something like a news site, but mostly I don't get blasted with ads, anywhere.

LILI
You are NOT 68 in my mind - or perhaps I need to change my mind about what 68 means?

Business
Oh yes, Day 3 of the year, and life did NOT get in the way, the rain did curtail dog walks though - in duration, not count.

Sun., 3rd Jan.
56min, Cathe - Mega Step Blast, for my own Cathe chrono rota
49min, Adriene - Dedicate - Day 1 Discern for Sadhana
41min, Karen - Energy Sprint - Quads/Hams/Glutes + Upper + Abs Mix with buddy
30min, morning dog walk in a gap in the rain
15min, afternoon dog walk thought the gap was going to be longer
25min, evening dog walk to make step goal

My day is done - time for a tub & revel in Buffy with DD - I'd never seen it before last night. It came out when the girls were babies. It's hilarious!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 11:04 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

I'll join in with those who don't like up and down stuff in our workouts. I try to avoid them!

Helen - Sometimes I think that having my youngest when I was 43 has kept me young, sometimes I think consistent exercise has done the trick. I am grateful that my body has cooperated with me, for the most part, and allowed me to maintain an active lifestyle.
Cleda - I think I have only tried 1 or 2 Peloton strength workouts, and I wasn't a fan. I have done 2 of their Barre workouts (which fall under the strength heading) and liked them. I need to try some more.
Waves to Pam & happilady!

1/2 - dog walk, 25 min.
45 min. New Year's Eve Ride w/ Jess King.
15 min. Run with Leslie
20 min. Morning Wake-Up

I enjoyed the ride, even though I haven't done a 45 minute ride in forever! I hung in there and still had some energy, so I tried the Leslie run, which wasn't bad.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 07:57 PM  
happyladi

Well, got a little carried away today. Before breakfast I did Pahla B’s Day 3, Walk and Stretch. 23 minutes about.
Then started a Walk, Sweat, Sculpt Calendar Get Healthy U TV with 20 minute 1 mile Power Walk
Next, because I’d missed her, one of Jane Fonda’s Prime Workouts, 25 minute Fit and Strong.
And just because, finished up with 1.5 miles 30 minute with Reps to the Rhythm.

See you all tomorrow!
happyladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 01:10 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Jan 3:
~7 km trail walk
~Practiced Essentrics trademarks
~YogiBethC (YT): Half Moon class
~Insight Timer: Sound Healing with Koshi Water Chimes

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 09:23 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

NO such thing

as getting carried away! All looks fine to me!

happyladi: Being the queen of endurance, your check in looks perfectly normal to me!

Lili: It all depends on who does the strength one (much like their tread or bike workouts). I have come across some that I despise and others that I LOVE. I truly love Adrian's (for the most part) but some? Uggggg. dread factor huge. The challenge will be good because it will give me more exposure to ones I may not otherwise do. The only problem? When I come across ones I don't like, it puts me in a bad mood. I actually Joni-O'd a Yoga one yesterday. (are we surprised?) lol .....

With the challenge, they are fairly loose with their guidelines. I can do some, all or substitute?!? I have to get used to that. But Nancy and I have decided we do the core daily.Period. no exceptions. So that's my aim. Other stuff? Just add on or I can substitute a workout of the same genre. (aka legs for legs, arms for arms, etc.)

Helen:
here's a funny thing (that I may have or may not have mentioned before). . . Strength used to be my thing. Yep. I was not a cardio person. AT ALL. (except for riding my bike outdoors). I was the one who initially did all of the Pure Strength series leading up to midnight of some new year's eve. Can't even remember what one it was! But, I used to be totally about strength and had a tough time getting cardio in. Go figure!

Side note to self: will have to check if I have any type of ad block on the Ipad. I know it's on my PC.

Waves to Pam & Kay!

1/3/2021:
Row: 20 minute raggae Row with Aquil, 10 mins. Breathe with Michelle and another 10 minute breathe with someone. 10 mins. core w/Adrian, 30 mins. Jess King Experience Ride with Nancy, 20 mins. Robin Arzon "year of Yes" ride, 5 minute stretch, 20 minutes Selena core workout**, 10 minute restorative yoga, 20 minute Yoga flow --- Joni'O'd this one after 5 minutes.

Sundays With Love will start up again on January 17th (I think this will be Season 3). can't wait. Love them.

Restorative yoga: Felt fine and I did that one.

** Selena's core workout was ridiculous overkill and I hated it. She did 4 rounds of the specified exercises. In all honesty? 2 would have been fine. and then she ended up with 90 seconds of AMRAPs (and I don't like AMRAPs ~ As Many Reps As Possible) grumble, grumble. AMRAPs always seem too willy nilly to me. Like people sacrifice form to get as many done as they can. It's not about quantity to me, it's all about quality .....

Ok, that's it. Gotta run !
Waves to all.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 03:48 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Great to see everyone starting the year off with a BANG!

I'm trying to create some kind of schedule like I used to have. M,W & F are strength days, T,Th are rides or runs. Saturday or Sunday will be my longer workout day, with the other one more of a rest day. We'll see how this goes.

1/3 - I started a Yoga Challenge with doyogawithme.com, Grounding and Strength 14 Day Beginner Yoga Challenge. Day 1 was A Full Body Flow for Beginners. At 31 minutes, it was the longest yoga I've done so far, but she offered options throughout that made it work for me.
That was it, we didn't even walk the dogs due to rain most of the day.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 04:59 PM  
Helen

LILI
Schedule? I'm needing to confirm what DAY it is!
You're right though - a regular routine makes a positive difference to your attitude.

CLEDA
As soon as I saw "Sundays with Love" I smiled as I remembered that you really enjoyed those.
Have to disagree on AMRAP, as to gain strength, one should work muscles to failure. AMRAP means to work with good form to failure; and I AGREE that many people will do flimsy version with poor form just to cite a higher number, but they know they're not being honest.

PAM
Sound healing with water chimes sounds delicious!

HAPPYLADI
Getting carried away is a good thing! Means you were enjoying yourself.

My world.
Bridget is leaving today & we started making masks yesterday - Sydney mandatory on them again - everywhere indoors, except at home.
Started 8 of them, only finished 3 last night - going to be a busy morning.

Mon., 4th Jan.
25min, morning dog walk
42min, Cathe - LIS - Low Impact Challenge - Step Express 1 Mix
43min, Adriene - Home Challenge - Day 1 Recognise
20min, evening dog walk

Again, it rained all day, checked for rain every 5-10min last night to get her out. It was drippy but she ran and ran and ran... Today is looking clear & sunny.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote