Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-20, 08:31 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
Maybe if it's hot in your car that would kill the virus maybe someone that knows could answer that question.
Remember that the virus thrives at body temperature. Ordinary summer heat doesn't do anything against it. The reason flu decreases in summer - which also applies somewhat to covid-19 - is because people aren't crowded together indoors as much.

Early on, some uninformed people were saying that heat kills the virus "so it will start dying off by April." That never made sense (because of the body temp factor) and you see how it's gone.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
Old 07-21-20, 08:34 AM  
Carol K

I work for a hospital and I'm on site twice a week, where they hand me a disposable surgical mask. Unlike my washable masks which fit at the top of my nose, but go under my eyes, the surgical masks are straight across and when I pull them up to cover my nose, they frequently go in my eyes so I can't see. I'm very happy to throw them away at the end of the day.
Old 07-21-20, 10:57 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I used a surgical mask for the first time yesterday after wearing homemade cloth ones all this time. At my annual physical the PA met me at the door with the thermometer and told me to remove my cloth mask, whereupon she handed me a surgical mask.

What a difference!!! So light and comfortable! I'd love to get my hands on more but there are so many counterfeit sellers, and with COVID surging again most likely I'm out of luck. I looked at Amazon and one of the sellers has a legit seeming image but the copy reads "elastic ear loops for beauty."
I like the surgical masks better too. I find the cloth to be too heavy and hot this time of year. I'm extra paranoid though so when I go grocery shopping, I wear a cloth mask under a surgical mask. Surgical masks are hard to find though. I don't go out much so I haven't been going through them quickly, thank goodness.
Old 07-21-20, 11:24 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I work for a hospital and I'm on site twice a week, where they hand me a disposable surgical mask. Unlike my washable masks which fit at the top of my nose, but go under my eyes, the surgical masks are straight across and when I pull them up to cover my nose, they frequently go in my eyes so I can't see. I'm very happy to throw them away at the end of the day.
Yes!! Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment and arrived with my mask on. They wanted me to use one of their mask. I asked why and she replied "it's better". I put it on and it was too big. It kept slipping down. The receptionist kept saying " Pull it up and pinch it." But it would not pinch. I kept pulling it up and the top of the mask was literally inside my eyes. She said "that's better." I said "I cannot see nor do I like this being inside my eye."

What bothered me was my mask was fine. It fit perfectly. There is no one size fits all face just like there is no once size fits all body. I didn't understand why I had to use their mask as long as mine was covering my nose and mouth (and was clean).

I also felt she was not very friendly. Let me clarify
1)I offered to have this appointment a tele-appointment. The doctor wanted to see me face to face.
2) These receptionist acted like I was the enemy. Maybe, just maybe I am at more risk than they are?
3)She proceeded to ask me all these questions speaking a mile a minute inside her mask which sounded like a bunch of mumble jumble to me. I had no idea what she was saying. I get they say this all day but that is their job. I only hear it once every 6 months. Slow down, speak clearly, I am not the bad guy here.

By the time I got into the exam room my anxiety was sky high. I get they are concerned about exposure but so am I. I am older, live alone and have had limited contact with people. I am not high risk. Plus, I offered to make this a tele-appointment.
Old 07-21-20, 06:12 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
3)She proceeded to ask me all these questions speaking a mile a minute inside her mask which sounded like a bunch of mumble jumble to me. I had no idea what she was saying. I get they say this all day but that is their job. I only hear it once every 6 months. Slow down, speak clearly, I am not the bad guy here.
The receptionist at my dentist office did the same to me. She was very young and new there (long time receptionist left during Covid). She was going over the cost of a crown that I need and how much my insurance covers and how much it will cost me and the different payment options and I could not understand a word she said. I must have said I can’t understand you three times. I found myself apologizing to her because I couldn’t understand her. She made little effort to speak louder and clearer.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 07-21-20, 08:00 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
Maybe if it's hot in your car that would kill the virus maybe someone that knows could answer that question.

who is the seller for that summer mask? I am having a hard time finding one I like
Reusable Cotton Face Mask (Pack of 50) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088T19CVD..._544fFbRK3EV71

There you go
Old 07-22-20, 10:27 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I used a surgical mask for the first time yesterday after wearing homemade cloth ones all this time. At my annual physical the PA met me at the door with the thermometer and told me to remove my cloth mask, whereupon she handed me a surgical mask.

What a difference!!! So light and comfortable! I'd love to get my hands on more but there are so many counterfeit sellers, and with COVID surging again most likely I'm out of luck. I looked at Amazon and one of the sellers has a legit seeming image but the copy reads "elastic ear loops for beauty."
I found some at the grocery store, $7.99 for a pack of ten. I bought one package, since it seemed pricey. This was at Fry's, our state's version of Kroger. I also have Thompson Tee masks, and I find them just as comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Remember that the virus thrives at body temperature. Ordinary summer heat doesn't do anything against it. The reason flu decreases in summer - which also applies somewhat to covid-19 - is because people aren't crowded together indoors as much.

Early on, some uninformed people were saying that heat kills the virus "so it will start dying off by April." That never made sense (because of the body temp factor) and you see how it's gone.
I think that is the case in Arizona. We're all indoors now. We will be outdoors more in the winter.
Old 07-22-20, 11:42 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
The receptionist at my dentist office did the same to me. She was very young and new there (long time receptionist left during Covid). She was going over the cost of a crown that I need and how much my insurance covers and how much it will cost me and the different payment options and I could not understand a word she said. I must have said I can’t understand you three times. I found myself apologizing to her because I couldn’t understand her. She made little effort to speak louder and clearer.
I’ve had the same experience a couple of times now. I can’t understand them, and they can’t understand me.

It makes me wonder if any effect of masks is cancelled out in those situations if we have to speak louder and longer and move closer together to be heard and understood. In my examples, there was no plexiglass immediately between me and the other person. Perhaps a better answer for offices is more plexiglass, and then take off the mask to speak.
Old 07-22-20, 11:57 AM  
Izzy

I just had a meeting at my work. We were in a room that is basically empty with very high ceilings. There were 6 of us. This room is on the busiest corner of my town. Lots of traffic, a lot of semi's a lot of brakes, horns honking etc. We all had to wear mask even though we were 6 ft apart. I can tell you after 1 1/2 hours in this meeting I heard nothing and I had a massive headache trying to hear people. I suggested we all sit at our computers next time and zoom and our director said "I want to see your faces."
Old 07-22-20, 01:07 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I just had a meeting at my work. We were in a room that is basically empty with very high ceilings. There were 6 of us. This room is on the busiest corner of my town. Lots of traffic, a lot of semi's a lot of brakes, horns honking etc. We all had to wear mask even though we were 6 ft apart. I can tell you after 1 1/2 hours in this meeting I heard nothing and I had a massive headache trying to hear people. I suggested we all sit at our computers next time and zoom and our director said "I want to see your faces."
This seriously made me just shake my head. First off, does s/he not know how Zoom works, that you see each other onscreen? And second, how can s/he "see your faces" if you're all wearing masks to cover them?? I get what s/he was probably trying to get at but come on. Buy a better reason!

I was walking Cyric near the water park today when he got into smthg nasty and I didn't have hand sanitizer or wipes with me. I went up to the window where a young girl was sitting and asked if she had any hand sanitizer or wipes I could use. She asked what so I repeated myself...as she was taking off her mask to hear me better. :rolleyes: (Thankfully she did let me use the sanitizer. I'm sticking wipes in with our walk stuff now though! I used to have sanitizer on the leash but it ran out and I never refilled it.)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is