Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-20, 01:47 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I am not a fan of mask either for no other reason that I struggle to relax and breath and I am very claustrophobic. Either the mask are too big or too heavy, fall off, come lose etc etc. But it's fine. I wear them where they are required. At work (I work in a library), I can take it off in my office. I respect others and do my part. I want and hope that by all of us wearing mask, this will help this situation.

What bothers me is those who do not believe that people do struggle from wearing mask. My director and others often disregarded me when I said I struggle with them; up until the other day when we were doing an interview. My mask was too big, I was struggling with breathing etc. The director pointed this out afterwards. I wanted to say "yes, I have been saying this all along." But my point is that many people do not believe some folks really do struggle with this and we are doing our best to comply. There was an older man in church who was struggling as well. He was doing his best and the usher kept going over there telling him to pull it up. You can tell by his eyes, he was really trying and really wanted to be in church. He eventually left.

I just want to believe that most people want to do the right thing. But people are judging left and right. I live alone. I am older. I have stayed away from my family. I have said nothing to anyone about what they chose to do. Yet the very second someone got wind that I went to visit my brother and SIL for a weekend the comments started coming at me. It just made me feel very defensive.
Mary, I think part of it is that, like a lot of things, there are people who take advantage or bend rules/allowances to suit their needs. So while there are people who legitimately struggle to breathe wearing a mask, there are others who make that claim just so they don't have to wear one. It's similar to how out of hand emotional support animals have gotten, imo. There are people who truly need that support in order to leave their house every day but there are many people saying they do just so they can take their dog with them everywhere. I received an incredible amount of calm support from Chianna but I am not at a point where I needed to take her with me everywhere. One of those cases where the whole class has to miss the field trip bc a few were acting out.

When I started wearing the mask I found it hard to catch my breath. It's better now bc I focus on slow breaths when I put it on. But I get a headache after I have it on for an hour. Thankfully I never have needed to wear one longer than that. My dad is very claustrophobic and has to be knocked out to have an MRI but he has no problem wearing a mask. It just shows that just bc two people may share a common affliction (there is a better word, I'm sure, but I can't think of it), it may not manifest in the same way.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-16-20, 05:42 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I am not a fan of mask either for no other reason that I struggle to relax and breath and I am very claustrophobic. Either the mask are too big or too heavy, fall off, come lose etc etc. But it's fine. I wear them where they are required. At work (I work in a library), I can take it off in my office. I respect others and do my part. I want and hope that by all of us wearing mask, this will help this situation.

What bothers me is those who do not believe that people do struggle from wearing mask. My director and others often disregarded me when I said I struggle with them; up until the other day when we were doing an interview. My mask was too big, I was struggling with breathing etc. The director pointed this out afterwards. I wanted to say "yes, I have been saying this all along." But my point is that many people do not believe some folks really do struggle with this and we are doing our best to comply. There was an older man in church who was struggling as well. He was doing his best and the usher kept going over there telling him to pull it up. You can tell by his eyes, he was really trying and really wanted to be in church. He eventually left.

I just want to believe that most people want to do the right thing. But people are judging left and right. I live alone. I am older. I have stayed away from my family. I have said nothing to anyone about what they chose to do. Yet the very second someone got wind that I went to visit my brother and SIL for a weekend the comments started coming at me. It just made me feel very defensive.
I'm sorry you received so much judgment for your visit. I have to admit, I don't talk much online about my day to day activities. The longer this lasts, the harder it's going to be to go without human connection. I think there needs to be a balance, and that will probably be different for everyone.
Old 07-16-20, 09:03 PM  
DCW

We are cautiously visiting older relatives. We figure its summer and we can sit outside with masks. Everyone so appreciates it. We are glad to get out and they are glad to have visitors even at a distance.

We'll figure this out.
Old 07-17-20, 02:17 AM  
hypnomoon

There's a husband and wife, in their early 40's, that believe the virus is a conspiracy and a scam. But then, they also believe the earth is flat and the moon landings were faked. Did I mention that he's a motivational speaker, fitness trainer, etc.?

With so many gyms closed or there are folks that just don't feel safe there, do you think there will be a rise in new fitness/workout DVDs? Or, because the technology is here, more streaming avenues?
Old 07-17-20, 05:24 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnomoon View Post
There's a husband and wife, in their early 40's, that believe the virus is a conspiracy and a scam. But then, they also believe the earth is flat and the moon landings were faked. Did I mention that he's a motivational speaker, fitness trainer, etc.?

With so many gyms closed or there are folks that just don't feel safe there, do you think there will be a rise in new fitness/workout DVDs? Or, because the technology is here, more streaming avenues?
Streaming avenues. Since I’ve been stuck in the house I’ve found if you can sift through all the junk there are some real gems to be found on YouTube.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 07-17-20, 05:38 AM  
Carol K

I'm one of the lucky ones. I was already working from home 3 days a week. Last week I returned to the office (I work at a university hospital) two days a week. I also worked out at home 6 days a week and the pandemic didn't interfere with that at all. The worst thing for me was 1) elective procedures stopped and I ran out of work almost every day in April and didn't have any work to distribute to my team. We used a lot of unscheduled PTO. And 2) I need my hair cut and colored every 4 weeks. I had to go 3 months and I didn't look like myself. My second appointment since the the pandemic is scheduled for tomorrow. And I should also add 3) we had to cancel our visit to my in-laws in New York because the protests had just started in Chicago and we were afraid the cat-sitter wouldn't be able to get into our neighborhood. And now we'll have to cancel our trip to California to see my Dad who moved into a retirement community this year. He is still pretty locked down, plus California is on Chicago's travel advisory. But as I said, I'm lucky. I can almost live my normal life, except in a mask.
Old 07-17-20, 06:24 PM  
kat999

The pandemic has thrust me into a pretty bad depression, honestly. I finished grad school in May, and a job I had lined up was cancelled due to the pandemic/funding cuts, so now I'm unemployed and mostly doing freelance work from home. Thankfully, my spouse is employed, but we're going to hit a bit financial crunch soon, and I'm scared. I've stopped going to my local yoga studio, even after it opened, because I do have some risk factors for the virus, and even if I got it and survived, our insurance deductible is high enough that it might still destroy us financially. We don't go anywhere, really (spouse is temporarily working from home), except for nature walks and stuff. We Zoom with friends and family or meet them outdoors at a distance. A lot of our friends are out of the area, so summertime is when we take vacations to visit them, and that has been SO HARD. I also like to work in coffeehouses, which I don't feel comfortable doing, even at the ones that are open/even with masks. I have a whole set of super cute masks to use for the rare occasions I have to shop in person, otherwise I order things online and get grocery curbside.

But I feel sooooo isolated, scared, sad, and unmotivated. Workouts help, as does staying connected with people online, but it's not the same. I even find myself declining some online social events because I'm too sad.

If everyone who is currently either denying the importance of masks, denying the existence of the virus, or feeling young and immune would just hunker down for a month, we could get this under control. I also do not REMOTELY understand the politicization of it. It's in no way a political issue. It's a scientific/public health issue, and if we can't have empathy and protect each other, what kind of species are we?
Old 07-17-20, 06:36 PM  
Carol K

Who would have thought that in this century, there would be seemingly intelligent people who would deny science to promote their political future? I can't believe it either.
Old 07-17-20, 06:40 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Who would have thought that in this century, there would be seemingly intelligent people who would deny science to promote their political future? I can't believe it either.
Indeed! And like you, I was already working from home a bit before this began, but it's the feeling unable to travel or do routine things without big changes that has me so sad. I also sympathize greatly with the poster who says mask wearing is a challenge, because it was for me at first, too. I got used to it, and now I don't even mind it at all, but I think some folks may give up too easily, then it's just a slippery slope researching support for the anti-mask bias, etc.

I love science and really wish more people believed it to be a good thing. I wonder if our thread here is mostly of one mind due to our shared interest in fitness and health in this community. We've researched biology and physiology and kineseology for fun, many folks are fitness instructors or at least have been doing fitness related activities for so long that it's second nature to believe in the power of knowledge about how our bodies work!
Old 07-17-20, 07:09 PM  
pgun3

I heard that a lady was feeling weak and had some symptoms of covid, her drs said she may die because she was getting worse. Her husband was told to have the drs do other tests on her because it may not be covid, come to find out she got legionnaires disease from wearing the masks.....
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is