Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-20, 11:49 AM  
hypnomoon

Some people don't know when to shut up, do they? However, these trying times have allowed us to see who the racists are and what businesses let racism slide by. Now we can make appropriate decisions where to spend our money to support businesses that align with our own believes.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 09:43 PM  
InstantBlue

My fiance owns a (former) CrossFit gym, one of the oldest gyms currently in existence (was the 35th oldest of I think about 14000 worldwide). He immediately severed ties with CrossFit after this came out. What Glassman said and did just about BLM and George Floyd was awful, than the other news about the sexual harassment culture that came out just confirms that it was the right move. The brand doesn't own any of the local gyms you see around town, and doesn't control any of the workout programming. Being a member of CrossFit was literally paying around $3000/year to legally use the word CrossFit and it also definitely helped with marketing. It breaks my heart that so many great coaches, athletes, and gyms are going to feel the pain of what the headquarters did. Our daily routine at our gym won't change at all, but I am a little worried that (especially now with so many closings and restrictions due to COVID) that not having a "brand" may hurt business.
InstantBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 12:48 PM  
Eibhinn

Before this happened, I wasn't sure Crossfit still existed as a company. There used to be a bunch of Crossfit boxes in my city, and it seemed that one by one they had all either closed or re-branded as their own thing. I searched and I guess there are still one or two left. It's possibly partly that while people here loved the workouts and camaraderie, the belligerent attitudes and "brand" you've all described were more damaging in some areas than others.

InstantBlue - Here's hoping leaving Crossfit will lead to bigger and better things for your fiance's gym. Perhaps it's worth searching for gyms that successfully severed their relationship before now (or just did the same thing without ever using the term crossfit) to see how they've managed to successfully market and promote themselves.

Here's one example from my city:
https://www.blendedathletics.com
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 01:00 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I just read an article in today's local news that several of our local Cross Fit gyms are also seriously considering severing ties with CF central. I'm sure it's a big decision given the recognition factor of the name, so it will be interesting to see what happens here.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 02:46 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I remember going to a couple of CF workouts with you and having a great time.
I remember !! . Yes, that was fun. It was a great group of people. I really enjoyed that experience.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 03:08 PM  
pgun3

pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 09:20 PM  
InstantBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post

InstantBlue - Here's hoping leaving Crossfit will lead to bigger and better things for your fiance's gym. Perhaps it's worth searching for gyms that successfully severed their relationship before now (or just did the same thing without ever using the term crossfit) to see how they've managed to successfully market and promote themselves.

Here's one example from my city:
https://www.blendedathletics.com
Thank you!
InstantBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, crossfit