Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-19, 07:29 PM  
suegy3

Suspension Trainers

I know these are no longer popular but does anyone still use them? If so, what brand? I’m considering trx or rip 60. I’m also wondering how well it’s held up and if it still works ok or broke.

And if you bought one and hate it or love it, please share that too!
Thanks!!!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 08:21 PM  
Taiga

I have the TRX, Jungle Gym(JG) and Rip60. The TRX/JG are slightly more substantial and feel like they will last longer than Rip60 but they are all sturdy enough to get a good workout. I tend to reach for the TRX/JG more because the handles are more comfortable and they just feel more sturdy for the type of moves I do. I like them all though!!

I love using a sandbag with the TRX. My favorite Rip60 workout is the one with George St. Pierre---no frills, solid/functional workout. Though I may be biased because I like his Rushfit set so much.
Old 01-05-19, 09:31 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have had the TRX for at least 5 years and it has held up well although I don't use it alot. For that reason I kind of wish DH saved some money and got me the JG. However I think it is a great piece of equipment to have. I don't do workouts that are exclusively suspension trainer moves but use it in combo with body weight, weights and cardio exercises. It is really helpful for increasing range of motion for moves like pistol squats or skater squats.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 03:32 AM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I have had my JG for several years. It’s attached to my power cage so it's always at the ready for any workout that has moves like pistol squats or pull-ups (I cannot do a pull-up so I just squat down and use my arms to pull me back to a stand. I don’t know if that’s the same thing as a pull-up but it works.) It looks about like it did when I bought it. Just the handgrips are a little dirty looking. I should use it more regularly because it is a legitimate piece of equipment and really works your total body in a unique way.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 09:45 AM  
savvychica4

I have the Rip60 and it has held up well over the years.
savvychica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 01:18 PM  
suegy3

Thanks for the responses. I did look at the Jungle Gym but saw some comments on Amazon that the rubber clip slides down and that would annoy the crap outta me. Anyone have that experience?

The TRX is obviously the most popular and most used so I tend to think it's more sturdy. But it's also quite expensive. And I want to use it as part of kettlebell/body weight workouts...not necessarily exclusive suspension trainer workouts. I'd love to get a Woss because of the price but I see it's no longer available.

I've read that the handles on the Rip 60 aren't comfortable so that is scaring me off from ordering it.

If anyone else has an comments, please chime in. Much appreciate! Thanks!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 01:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

over the years, different brands have become available - any other experiences with other brands?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 02:03 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I did look at the Jungle Gym but saw some comments on Amazon that the rubber clip slides down and that would annoy the crap outta me. Anyone have that experience?

The TRX is obviously the most popular and most used so I tend to think it's more sturdy. But it's also quite expensive. And I want to use it as part of kettlebell/body weight workouts...not necessarily exclusive suspension trainer workouts. I'd love to get a Woss because of the price but I see it's no longer available.

I've read that the handles on the Rip 60 aren't comfortable so that is scaring me off from ordering it.

If anyone else has an comments, please chime in. Much appreciate! Thanks!
I've never had the clips on the JG slide but my unit is about 8yrs old. It could be that JG has cut some corners over the years. I don't hear about them as much as when they 1st came on the market.

I have an older TRX Tactical and and newer TRX regular set and both are rock solid after heavy use. The Rip60 has seen moderate use and has held up well. The handles are less comfy than on the TRX/JG but only by comparison. My hands have never been uncomfortable while using the Rip60.

BTW, I found both of my TRX sets new/unopened for about $10 ea at the thrift. I was thrilled when I found the 1st one and beyond astonished when I found the second set. I keep extra sets so that friends/family can join me. Kids love them I also use the 2nd set for double ups etc.

ETA-- TRX sold off their dvd inventory on Amazon a few years back at 2.99-3.99 per. I bought them all (including the Pavel KB/TRX program) as streaming is not an option for me (and the streaming prices were higher then). I see they still have 1 lower priced DVD (Performance Team Sports) left on Amazon. It is a solid workout.
Old 01-06-19, 02:38 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Taiga, you are crazy strong if you can do those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I also use the 2nd set for double ups etc.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 02:39 PM  
horusosiris

I have both the Rip60 and TRX. I have had both for years and I use them regularly and both have held up well over the years. I use my Rip60 more often than the TRX because the handles are larger and wider and this makes foot placement easier. Also you can remove the handles and use alternate handles. I have used my D handles gymnastic rings and even ankle straps with the Rip60. I do not find the handles uncomfortable. I also like that you can chose the rotation or no rotation with the Rip60.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jungle gym, jungle gym xt, rip 60, rip:60, suspension trainer, trx