Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-03-20, 09:30 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I remember you went through all that and didn't have any luck. The one thing about the "cozy nest" idea is that you are NOT supposed to sleep there; you are only supposed to sleep in your bed. The reason to get out of bed is to break the association between being in bed/not sleeping. That's why you wait until you are completely drowsy before returning to bed--but if you still can't sleep, you need to get up again. Usually that means many low sleep nights to start, but the idea is to "reset" your body's sleep cycle. The problem is that it's really tough for people to implement in real life!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 10:09 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, when I got that drowsy feeling in the "cozy nest" location, I would go upstairs to bed with no luck. The act of walking upstairs through a cold house to go to my bedroom (you are supposed to have the temperature down low) made me wide awake again. Then going back downstairs to the cozy nest again and back and forth was disruptive and annoying as hell. I did CBT-I for 2+ months and all it did was lower the quality of my life by taking away things that soothed me. It helps some people but not me.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 05:49 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Earlier this morning I got in a LAW (about 1.5 hours). Sadly, though, I think I need to take a break from LAWs and XLAWs. I've realized I don't like how the toenail on one of my big toes is looking. So I'm going to ease up on the long walks to see if that makes it happier. I need functional feet for my job, and I don't want to take the chance of damaging the toenail so much that I need to see medical attention.

Today's Workout: I started with Margaret Richard Unplugged 1905, except I subbed out the triceps dips for the unweighted triceps routine from Margaret's Good For You. I finished with the 17-minute Total Stretch routine from Jessica Smith's Total Stretch DVD (I keep forgetting I have a copy of this!). I don't like it as much as the similar stretch on her Walk Strong 3 set, but it was still nice.

Paine: Ah, I didn't realize you lived so near the coastline! When I was a kid we lived in Huntington Beach for about a year, and I have fond memories of going to the beach there.

I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia going around. I get adequate sleep for the most part, but I definitely do enjoy better quality sleep during cooler weather.

Waving to all -- take care!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 07:04 PM  
cyana

Today:
NordicTrack cardio/weight circuits: legs and shoulders
10 minutes of stretching
10 reps - down dog to COBRA (I originally did these in Lee's AM Qi Extended several years back and found they are really helpful for opening the front of the body).

My right shoulder is feeling a bit tweaky, so I'll have to baby it for a couple of days.

Paine - My corn confession is gnawing on the cobs to get the remaining bits of corn after I cut the kernels off. Not sure what's up with local corn so far this year.......one of my regular farmers had wonderful corn one week-end and none since. I can see where the corn "broth" could be used in a variety of ways - I'll have to keep that in mind.

Sandra - Bummer on the toenail. Unhappy feet can quickly ruin one's day. Hopefully cutting back on the length of your walks will be enough to make it happy. Although I'm the warm weather girl, I'll be the first to admit cold weather sleeping is so much nicer.

Beth - The cozy nest sounds like a nice idea, but unfortunately I don't have a good nesting place right now. I was joking with DH last evening that I needed to get one of those AeroBed mattresses to put in our closet.

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 07:31 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Hi. Today I did lower body, back and biceps on my own. I want to start Joyce Vedral's Weight Training Made Easy book workout tomorrow. I did it for eight months in the late 1990's with good results except for the back injury that's still a pain. I can't decide which level I want to do.

Sorry to be MIA again. I had two pancreatitis attacks. The second one took a few days to recover from. I'm doctoring for my A/C joint from the accident on the Total Gym. If the Dr has to go in he'll have to take a piece off the clavicle to fix it. My wrists are still messed up from the same accident. As if that isn't enough I just had four days of muscle spasms in my back.

I was hoping to get a lot of rain from the storm coming up the coast but it looks like it won't come inland far enough.

Meow and I were sitting on the porch earlier when a doe walked up the hill. She stood there while I talked to her but ran off when a car came by. Meow never moved off the chair. If we hadn't been screened in I was close enough to touch her but she'd run away before that would ever happen.

Hoping my body cooperates long enough to be here awhile

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 07:45 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sandra - take care of your feet. They're very important. Give the boys hugs from Meow and me.

Paine - wow. You're close enough to walk on the beach everyday.

Beth - Meow Meow likes to watch you on Youtube. I think she likes yoga.

cyana - you've had insomnia for a long time. I hope you get some restful sleep soon. I have a bad habit of reading until 2 a.m., and sometimes
4 a.m., and then the man calls when he gets off work a few hours later. When I don't get enough sleep it's my own fault.

Carolyn - sometimes I look at your pics on Instagram to see good kitties when Meow is being a stinker. She's scratching at the door to get out on the porch. She thinks she's a dog.
Hi Garrie and Anny

Old 08-03-20, 08:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I hear you--sometimes the "cure" can be worse than the disease (and still not work for everyone, unfortunately). I am definitely jealous of you living so close to the beach.

Anny, when does your winter usually peak? Are you on your way to spring yet?

Garrie, I did your cardio mash-up today! I used light weights for the kickboxing, and I really enjoyed it. Your voice makes me smile, and I like that you gesture in addition to verbally cuing.

Hi Carolyn! Is it still super-hot in your area?

Sandra, oh no about the toenail! My feet can get cranky in shoes, but it's usually the little toe side for me (although I do have mild bunions). Hope you are able to find something else you enjoy until you can walk again.

cyana, haha, I guess a closet could be "cozy," especially with a mattress! Down dog to cobra/up dog is actually one of the 5 Tibetan Rituals if you have ever done those (maybe why Lee included that move).

Linda, wow, so sorry to hear that you've had more attacks of pancreatitis! Was the man around to assist while you were sick? We had SHEETS of rain a little while ago, although only for 20-30 minutes. I love that MM watches me on YouTube--so cool to have a feline fan!

Speaking of YouTube, I felt like I accomplished something major today since I successfully moved my YouTube videos to a "brand" channel, so now I appear as "YogiBethC" there instead of my full name. I had been worried about screwing it up, but it was actually pretty easy.

So it's "back to work" for me tomorrow--remote work from home, that is.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-03-20, 08:24 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Beth - the man went home two days before the second attack. Close one! I don't want him to ever see me during a pancreatitis attack but I suppose it would be best if he were here. Sometimes the pain is so bad I pass out on the bathroom floor. When the muscle relaxers weren't helping spasms he told me to contract the muscle and hold it til the spasm stopped. That seemed to help more than the meds. I noticed your name change on youtube days ago.

Old 08-04-20, 10:07 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Strong Stride Program 2 (Glutes/Hamstrings; Hips; Hips/Quads segments)
Strong Knees (Stretching segment)

Sandra, it's best you pamper that toenail to prevent injury. I hope it heals soon so you can go on walks again. Make sure you have good shoes for all the standing/walking you do at work.

Linda, be extra careful if you workout with weights. I'm hoping your body will heal so you won't have to have surgery.

Cyana, I'm smiling your idea of gnawing on the corn cobs after the kernels are removed. I remember doing that as a kid.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 10:29 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, DH still gnaws on the corn cobs!

Linda, I can understand not wanting your SO to see you when you are sick.

Happy Tuesday! I am "back" at work...from home. But that means I got up earlier, showered first thing (instead of exercising), and have had WAY too much screen time already.

Follow me @YogiBethC