Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-20, 07:52 AM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Stretch and Balance

Hello!
After breaking my ankle this spring, I've decided I need more work on flexibility and balance after cardio or strength workouts. I have Tamilee Webb's stretch dvd and am borrowing Kathy Smith's Ageless dvds from the library. My attention span for this kind of workout is pretty limited, say 10-20 minutes. Thanks for your guidance in the past.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-18-20, 08:34 AM  
Sollamyn

Kathy Smith's Ageless DVD has a good lower body/balance workout on it that is 20 minutes long. I know that Jessica Smith does some balance work in many of her videos (both DVD and Youtube), but I can't pinpoint any. I'd have to go back through my collection. Jane Adams does balance work in her yoga DVDs (the practices are various length but none is very long). She is very likable and her practices are well thought out, well done.

Edited to add: Chantal Donnelly's DVD (Strong Knees, I believe is the title) is a good lower body workout that focuses on stabilizer muscles, so it's good for balance. And she finishes with good stretches for the lower body.

HTH,

Donna
Old 08-18-20, 09:45 AM  
fanofladyvols

Ow! Sorry to hear about your ankle!

Just to pipe up on the Jessica balance: she has Add on abs in WS3 set that is 15 min with balance incorporated.

Classical stretch --there have been several episodes in Season 10 that are titled bone strengthening, improving posture, etc. that focus on balance, toes, ankles. She usually cues a chair to help.

But here's a YouTube that has one of the moves I love...go to the 4:40ish and also 6:50ish mark https://youtu.be/DM5kbmA7LtY

I hope others who know other seasons can chime in.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 10:51 AM  
Demeris

I'm gonna recommend Jane Adams, most especially Yoga for Beginners, Gentle Yoga, and Balance and Strength.

If you're Catholic, I'd recommend Pietra Fitness: Gentle Restoration
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 10:56 AM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Thanks!

Keep those suggestions coming. I really appreciate it!
Old 08-18-20, 11:15 AM  
alisoncooks

I love Jane Adams as well. This morning I did a segment from her Stronger Standing Balance DVD, called "Awakening the Muscles of Balance" or something like that, lol. 19 minutes long and includes a nice foot stretch/massage that's my go-to when my PF acts up. But the DVD also has short balance segments.
(Gentle Yoga and Balance&Strength, mentioned above, are my most-used Jane DVDs...)

Joel Harper has some gentle, short balance workouts. Here's a 5 minute: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsIHZyH_DlA. He also has a DVD with 4 10-min segments. https://www.collagevideo.com/product...th-joel-harper (Google this, I think some of these practices are online.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 12:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrigid View Post
Keep those suggestions coming. I really appreciate it!
You should tag this thread so we can find all these great suggestions later!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 03:27 PM  
suzannaerin

I greatly improved my balance by standing on one foot while brushing my teeth. Seriously. I have a Sonicare so it dings, a timer of sorts.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-20, 03:11 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Lee Holden's new Better Balance is really good. There are two workouts - one is 20 minutes and is just a shortened version of the 36-minute version. The longer one has more exercises and it's a little harder. I love both!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance work, balance workouts, short stretch, short stretch segments, stretch workouts