Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-16, 03:38 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Great thread OP! I just read what Cathe replied, and I think it does make sense, but I don't think I could survive the rotation she suggested , especially with the workout she listed, I'd be spent the whole time.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 04:00 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Willowey, great question! I was looking for metabolic vs circuit training, and most of the links I found talked about "metabolic circuit training" http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...rcuit-training

I always thought of metabolic workouts as using medium to heavy weights, moving to one exercise to the other with little to no rest. I know Jillian usually uses 3 to 8 pounds in her workouts, and uses circuits, but I never thought of them as metabolic. But, after reading the article I linked I'm not sure!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Old 02-26-16, 06:43 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Great thread OP! I just read what Cathe replied, and I think it does make sense, but I don't think I could survive the rotation she suggested , especially with the workout she listed, I'd be spent the whole time.
Ditto! I love the idea of the rotation she suggests, but I don't think I could actually do it. Maybe using Firm Express ...
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 06:48 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post

I always thought of metabolic workouts as using medium to heavy weights, moving to one exercise to the other with little to no rest.
That's what I thought all along too! I didn't realize you were supposed to use lighter weights. Thanks for posting the link
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 02:25 AM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
Videofit, please do not make cultural assumptions about whole cultures.
Sorry, I forgot most Americans don’t travel overseas. My comments were based on my experiences over the years, having traveled to England many times to visit friends, as well as living there briefly. My British friends are forever commenting on how they are/need to/have cut back on their booze to lose weight, “I’m only drinking a pint now!” One friend lives in a sparsely populated county (more sheep than people) in the north of England and recycling bottle banks are a common sight at the side of the road miles away from any dwelling, getting filled up every week or two:
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/37dedbadf3...tle-anthyx.jpg

But don't take my word for it. From a liberal UK newspaper:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6689531.html

An Italian woman’s experience living in the UK (liberal paper):
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...out-of-britain

For conservatives, the Mail never disappoints. Two articles by British expats living in France discussing the difference in the two cultures:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...TH-POWELL.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...enchwoman.html

There are always articles and TV shows in the UK on the subject and if you want more info, google it.

To be fair, my British friends consider Americans puritanical and provincial (right Willowey?)
Old 02-27-16, 02:49 AM  
Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Ditto! I love the idea of the rotation she suggests, but I don't think I could actually do it. Maybe using Firm Express ...
I think Dasha's CoEd is set up like this as well - two days heavy strength and 3-4 days Hiit or Metabolic. Strength workouts are one hour and Hiit/Metabolic about 30 minutes. One could recreate this rotation with Cathe workouts as well not only with Kettlebells of course. Also, Zuzka or Jillian Michaels, BlackFire, Inferno, Insanity Max:30 or MetaShred would all work in the Hiit/Metabolic spot as well.

It's less volume than what Cathe suggests but more maintainable and attainable IMO.

The rotation looks like this:
Heavy
Hiit
Hiit (or Rest)
Heavy
Hiit
Hiit
Rest
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 03:19 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I recently finished Drop 2 Sizes, which have 3 strength workouts per week and one metabolic. I read that on the second month I could start to add an extra 20 min. interval per week, I tried to do it, but when I did it, I felt even more tired, so stopped and just did the workouts it came with and added flexibility, walking or low impact cardio on the off days and rested when I felt like I needed. I felt like adding too much intensity (on the off days) would affect my strength training sessions, so I gave those days the priority.

Old 02-27-16, 03:20 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Those sounds more doable to me.

Old 02-27-16, 07:48 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Sorry, I forgot most Americans don’t travel overseas. My comments were based on my experiences over the years, having traveled to England many times to visit friends, as well as living there briefly.)
But here's the thing--we're not talking about a culture, we're talking about an individual. So whatever your worldly experiences may be, Willowey has already told us she doesn't drink, so it's really not relevant.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 02:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggie's auntie View Post
but here's the thing--we're not talking about a culture, we're talking about an individual. So whatever your worldly experiences may be, willowey has already told us she doesn't drink, so it's really not relevant.
+1

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build muscle and lose fat, fat loss, fitday.com, how to lose fat, last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, lose fat, over 50, successful weight loss