Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-08, 05:59 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl
hmmmmmm not too sure about that....

i have a really easy learning curve on dance/cardio stuff... but cathe cueing is SO horrible in this set that i HATE both the step workouts! the kickbox is just MEH.... doesn't thrill me... too short!

bootcamp is fun
Heh, I agree, Cathe's cuing in the step workouts is virtually non-existent! I know she doesn't have much time to break down the moves, but geez -- jump into a complex "blast" without even a single warning? Tell us we're going to TIFTT - then without any warning, tell us to do power boxes in between?

That said, I actually like the step once I learned it. I did both step workouts in a row last night (but still get tripped up by the lack of cuing).

I really disliked the bootcamp - sooooo much setting up for each exercise!

Once thing you *might* like regarding the step and kickboxing - they're nothing, impact-wise, compared to IMAX 2 or 3 or the rest of the Hardcore stuff. There *are* a couple of moments in the higher intensity step where she does high-impact, but infinitesimal compared to her past workouts. (I do hate that "jump with both feet clear over the step" thing, though. Blech!)
Old 01-11-08, 06:10 PM  
mf545

It sounds like you and I were separated at birth! I can't, and don't, do any of Cathe's cardio, but I bought the 4DS anyway just for the weight work, and I haven't regretted it one bit! I followed the rotation Cathe posted, subbing the cardio segments with Cardio Coach on my elliptical and walking workouts, and I was very pleased with my results. I think I'll get a lot of use out of this set.

The only requirement is to use it the way that gives you maximum joy.
--Ooty talking about Cardio Coach
mf545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 06:44 PM  
Calistro

The question is whether you think it is worth the price you've paid just for the weight work?, as I bet you wont be using much else.
That is the reason why I did not buy this one.

Calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 07:33 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

I also can't do complex step moves. I can do the warm-up of LIC. So I really won't be using the step workouts.

Bootcamp didn't strike my fancy at all. I don't do impact. Don't have the room for most of the drills.

The kickbox I liked especially the extended warm-up. It almost feels like a mini lower body workout & I especially like it as a warm-up for the lower body weight section. The lower body weight workout I like. It's not too long, has no dread factor for me. Efficient, quick & to the point. The kickbox workout itself is ok, but full of jacks which I don't do so I end up marching in place.

Having pre-ordered I think I got my money's worth with just the weight workouts, because I do like them. As others have said she doesn't lift to the beat of the music much at all. Sometimes I feel she's too slow, then I think she's too fast. I usually try to figure out how many reps she's doing & just go at my own pace. Cathe lifts heavy & I've really been able to up my weights.

Report card, JMHO:
Step workouts-thumbs down
Bootcamp-thumbs down
Kickbox warm-up-Big thumbs UP
Kickbox workout-just OK
Weight workouts-Good, a little something different.

I'm thinking you should send it back unopened.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 07:48 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

I'm very glad that Debbie started this thread because I've been dithering about whether I should order it or not. I keep going back and forth. Now, after reading this I think I'll like it. Not all of it, but most of it.

Hey, Debbie M - welcome back!
Old 01-11-08, 08:05 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Personally, I think that 4DS is Cathe's best upper body weight work ever, and I'm kind of surprised that more people aren't loving these workouts, actually.

I love it because the weight work is short, and she lifts heavy. The Chest and Back workout is so good and effective. I love that it alternates the chest and back moves, so you don't need long rests. I love all the pushups and the back work is great, IMO. The other body parts are not as excellent, but I really don't care, because if I get a good C&B workout, I am happy. I tend to skip some of the sets on the others.

For me, it is worth it to have this set just for the weight work. I made real strength gains when using it.

I don't do much step or other video cardio anymore, and I didn't really Bootcamp that much or the kickboxing. I loved both step workouts (yes, Cathe's teaching/cueing wasn't great) because the choreography was fun. But it sounds like you wouldn't like them. It seems like very few people like all the cardio options.
Old 01-11-08, 08:19 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

OK. I'm just back from ordering this over at Collage and Lisa, I'm so glad to read your endorsement. I'm not into KB or Bootcamp, but I think I'll like the rest. I didn't realize that she was slower and heavier (not to mention shorter) with this set or I probably would have ordered it sooner.
Old 01-12-08, 09:37 AM  
JBliff

>> Personally, I think that 4DS is Cathe's best upper body weight work ever

I agree with Lisa C. I cannot believe the strength gains I've made from using 4DS. I am not great with picking up complex choreography, but I was able to pick up LIS pretty quickly. I have finally managed to conquer HIS, and really like it now. I also enjoy the kickbox workout (too short, though). I am more lukewarm about bootcamp. I like it while I'm doing it, but have a little of a dread factor of it.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 09:46 AM  
woodmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M
Hi everyone,

I recently caved and bought Cathe's 4DS from advancedworkouts.com. It is enroute to Canada now.

I have never not preordered a Cathe strength workout but passed on this series because something about it just did not grab me. Then that vidiot collector in me took over and I felt that my collection could not be without the strength work at least!

My background with Cathe:

I hated CTX and sold all of my VHS tapes except Leaner Legs and then picked up CTX Upper Body. (Aside: I really really wish Cathe would release these on DVD, especially Leaner Legs, without having to buy the enture CTX set again on DVD!)

The moves in the 4DS clips looked "same-old, same-old" and I dislike any of her cardio that is extremely high impact and any step workout beyond her beginner series!

I am choreo challenged and thus have sold almost every cardio workout I have ever purchased for one reson or another. I also hate circuits. These are all the ones I owned and sold, donated, etc.:

MIC - dread factor, hated the but super high impact hi/lo
Cardio Kicks - too much space, too complex and too much hi/lo flavor (I do like KPC and Kick Max.)
Circuit Max - it is circuit!
Step Blast + Step, Jump & Pump DVD - too complex, on Cathe hi/lo
Cardio & Weights + IMax2 DVD - IMax 2 too complex, C&W just blah.

The only cardio of Cathe's I enjoy is her kickbox DVDs, her Basic Step, Low Impact Step and Low Max (still trip up the choreo on this one but enjoy it). I also like any drill type athletic sections of her other DVDs.

I love all of her strength workouts and own every last one all the way back to MIS and PS.

I am reading so much dissapointment here in various threads about this workout set and am having buyers regret before I have even tried them.

My concerns after reading endlessly here:

The cardio on the step workouts is too complex which I just did not expect....harder to master than Rythmic Step? OMG! I would never even buy that one.

The workouts are dull, too short, nothing new.....

I am ordering STS as it looks amazing and also know I will preorder her entire boxing, kickboxing, mixed martial arts series.

Did I waste almost 50% of my STS preorer $$$$$ on a pretty uselss workout series?

Help me justify!

Conversely, I could return it unopened as AW has a 100% satisfaction return policy if there is no way this was worth the big bucks!

Thanks,

Deb
Isat on the fence about it for a long time as I was not sure. However, I like it. Not made about Bootcamp but I preferred this to the last series. I have been able to make strength gains and cardio step and Kickbox I enjoy. I viewed the clips long and hard on the website. I would not buy blind as i have alot of Cathe tapes. Wish you luck!
woodmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 10:33 AM  
ivorygorgon

I think you should just try the workouts and see. I think you may like some of it, some of it (the high intensity step) you won't like. All in all though, give it a try. It sounds like you may like the weights, the kickbox and possibly the Bootcamp.
ivorygorgon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 day split, 4ds, cathe, four day split