Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-18, 09:02 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy J View Post
Acey, I'm sorry about your dad! I've been around a few people who've had shingles (DH, mom, BIL & others) and it's enough for me to say that a day or two of feeling poorly is nothing in comparison to the suffering shingles can cause. The pain & neurological effects can linger for months or years.
Agreed. I had a fairly intense reaction, but I've seen how people struggle with shingles and how it can be that start of the domino effect when someone is quite old. I'm grateful for the vaccine, even with its issues.

Acey - I'm sorry for your dad. I hope he finds some comfort with hospice care.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 02:01 AM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Well, I have Hashi's and there's no way I'd do the shot. I have enough autoimmune issues.
I have Hashi's and Sjogren's. Are all vaccines bad for us now? Haven't had any in decades but I did want a tetanus shot as I hadn't had one in decades and never had a problem. But you can't get a stand alone version any more last time I checked. It's part of a package. I bet the safest ones would be the old fashioned natural kind where they rub the dead virus into a cut in your arm with no additives.
Old 12-12-18, 02:24 PM  
videofit

I recently had a friend with a small dog staying with me for a week. I found bumps on my skin and thought they were clusters of flea bites. But it seemed a bit different. I'm prone to eczema but the bumps were bigger than eczema bumps. Wasn't sure it was an allergy. Not itchy, no pain except the skin in a rather wide swath being oddly tender to the touch. After five days and it wasn't improving, I went to my derm. I have shingles!

She said it was a very mild case but prescribed an antiviral Famciclovir to prevent any nerve damage after. No side effects from meds. After one day my skin is no longer tender. She didn't mention my getting the vaccine and from what I've read, a recurrence is low.

So the stories of terrible pain and suffering were counter-productive for me as it discouraged me from getting a diagnosis.
Old 12-12-18, 05:11 PM  
seww

Acey, I'm so sorry about your Dad.
I had both Shingrix vaccines with no reaction and I also have Hashimoto's.
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 10:32 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post
My 91-year-old dad, who was ambulatory and even driving just a month ago, came down with the shingles two weeks ago, on his face. He is now in hospice care at home. The shingles basically began the domino effect that is now leading to his demise, and with terrible pain. I wish he had known about Shingrix.
Acey, I'm so sorry about your dad. ((HUGS))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy J View Post
Alta (Vintage VFer), I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with many issues. Wishing you a speedy return to wellness!
Thanks, Dorothy. Next year has GOT to be better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I recently had a friend with a small dog staying with me for a week. I found bumps on my skin and thought they were clusters of flea bites. But it seemed a bit different. I'm prone to eczema but the bumps were bigger than eczema bumps. Wasn't sure it was an allergy. Not itchy, no pain except the skin in a rather wide swath being oddly tender to the touch. After five days and it wasn't improving, I went to my derm. I have shingles!

She said it was a very mild case but prescribed an antiviral Famciclovir to prevent any nerve damage after. No side effects from meds. After one day my skin is no longer tender. She didn't mention my getting the vaccine and from what I've read, a recurrence is low.

So the stories of terrible pain and suffering were counter-productive for me as it discouraged me from getting a diagnosis.
Videofit, sorry about your diagnosis. It's good that you caught it in time.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-18, 01:10 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Videofit, sorry about your diagnosis. It's good that you caught it in time.
It scabbed over after a week and now feels sore like a burn or bad bruise. It's on one butt cheek so discourages me from being sedentary.
Old 12-15-18, 01:46 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
It scabbed over after a week and now feels sore like a burn or bad bruise. It's on one butt cheek so discourages me from being sedentary.
It's good you've kept your sense of humor! Glad that you are on the road to recovery.

The vaccine hasn't been available in my immediate area for awhile now but I think I will take my chances with it. I have a friend who had periodic flare ups from Shingles and she was in such pain! I have had the old vaccine.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 12:31 AM  
bjones

Just wanted to post my experience with the 2nd shot. The first one gave me a very sore arm and I couldn't even move my shoulder well for 2 days, along with a lot of muscle aching and stiffness all over for 48 hours. This time, I pre-treated with Naproxyn 500mg twice a day starting about 3 hours before the shot and continued for 2 days after. I didn't have any problems at all this time! My arm had some soreness just in the deltoid muscle only, nothing major. I highly recommend this regiman!
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 04:46 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Lo and behold, they had it at the Target pharmacy today when I asked! Hubby and I both got it. It really hurt for about a minute as I was walking away, but has been fine ever since. I did a Jessica Smith workout when I got home with no problems.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 06:07 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I also got my first shot yesterday, along with a flu shot in the other arm. I feel fine today. Arms are a bit sore, but not horribly so, and no other issues. The pharmacist told me not to be surprised if I had some problems, including nausea. I did one of the CS connective tissue workouts last night and I think that helped with the soreness.

I'm happy to say that both shots were completely covered by my insurance.

At first the assistant told me they didn't have any available, but the pharmacist checked and let me have it. She said there is still a shortage and that they're being cautioned to ration the shots so that a supply is available for those people needing their second shot within the 2-6 month window.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax