Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-16, 09:01 AM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowey124 View Post
So the science seems to say that you can't lose fat/weight whilst gaining muscle. You can either train and eat to gain muscle or train and eat to lose body fat/weight. You can't do both at the same time.

This advice is generally true for relatively seasoned exercisers who already have a healthy muscle/fat ratio and are looking to further increase muscle without adding more fat. This is because the human body wants to maintain a certain minimum level of fat, and if you cut calories beyond a certain point your body will eat up muscle in order to maintain that fat level.

Beginners who have lots of fat and little muscle can probably still gain muscle while losing fat by reducing calories and lifting weights. I have heard that Biggest Loser contestants were able to do this.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 09:06 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think that is much too simplistic.

I also don't think science has all the answers here.

If one is overweight, then getting rid of the weight is best. Reducing calories but with the right kind of calories, and doing moderate cardio and some type of strength training seem to have the best results for improving multiple health parameters.
Isn't that exactly what I just wrote? (ETA never mind! I see you were replying to the OP)

Science does know that you have to have a calorie deficit to lose fat. Whether it's low-carb, high-carb, paleo or the Twinkie Diet, they all "work" when you take in less than you burn. The tricky part is in finding a way of eating and moving that you can sustain for life.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 09:06 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think that is much too simplistic.

I also don't think science has all the answers here.

If one is overweight, then getting rid of the weight is best. Reducing calories but with the right kind of calories, and doing moderate cardio and some type of strength training seem to have the best results for improving multiple health parameters.
Not only does science not have all the answers, what gets reported by the popular media as science has little to do with the studies they cite.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 09:41 AM  
gladgirl

When I need to lose fat, I also do not want to lose muscle, or at least, minimize it. So, lots of cardio is not my answer, esp. now at 61yrs of age.

Everyone is different, even in these areas...not so simplistic. For me the shorter, more intense workouts work best, either to build muscle or lose fat.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 10:35 AM  
willowey124

Thank you for all the interesting replies.

I am a 6 ft mesomorph - am fortunate to gain muscle easily. However, in the last 4 years I have also gained 50lbs (menopause has played a big part here).

I want to maintain my muscle, but lose those pounds - how do I train? Bearing in mind that I know it's a case of calories in vs calories out.
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 11:11 AM  
Kitten

Quote:

I am a 6 ft mesomorph - am fortunate to gain muscle easily. However, in the last 4 years I have also gained 50lbs (menopause has played a big part here).

I want to maintain my muscle, but lose those pounds - how do I train? Bearing in mind that I know it's a case of calories in vs calories out.
I lost 45 lbs last year & saw huge strength gains. I started with the old P90 so, cardio 3x a week, strength 3x a week. I kept with that formula-except when I did a Body Beast over the summer-with great success.

As I'm now in maintainance weight wise, I'm doing Body Beast again to build up muscle.

Edit: I'm 5'7" so not as tall as you. I didn't know my body type so I Googled it. I'm an ecto/mesomorph.

Last edited by Kitten; 02-24-16 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Information
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 11:16 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Science does know that you have to have a calorie deficit to lose fat. Whether it's low-carb, high-carb, paleo or the Twinkie Diet, they all "work" when you take in less than you burn. The tricky part is in finding a way of eating and moving that you can sustain for life.
Yes, exactly. It's the maintenance part that is tricky.

Consider what body builders do in the pre-competition phase - they change their routines to preserve as much muscle as possible while dropping fat (and water!) in order for that muscle to show. They're still lifting with a modified routine, adding in more cardio and restricting their intake. BUT THEY DON'T DO IT YEAR ROUND, which is another reason we can't be looking at those fitspo/figure athlete pictures and think it is attainable.

The same can be said for athletes in weight dependent categories such as martial arts prior to competitions. They do something very similar (and by no means healthy).

So in one sense it's simplistic - can it be done following the less calories/less lifting/more cardio rule? Probably. But will the outcome really be what you want, and can you do it for life? that's what makes it a lot less simple.

ETA: science does have answers, but studies are usually done on a specific sample of the population for an 8-12 week period in regulated conditions (study subjects are usually asked to follow certain lifestyle conditions or something like that). Generalizing those results to a larger population in open conditions makes it tricky.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 11:28 AM  
momofcha

Quote:

This is me. I am 5'10", but basically the same thing. I have gained 20 pounds - might be thyroid related, might be menopause related, I'm really not sure. I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing has worked so far. I'm trying to stay with the mindset - I am healthy, I can move, I am fortunate..... For me I think the weight is more vanity related than anything else. My energy is improving so I'm thankful for that. My BF said he doesn't notice any weight gain, but I'm going up in pant sizes and I know it's there. I have no secret to what will help though.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 12:24 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
This is me. I am 5'10", but basically the same thing. I have gained 20 pounds - might be thyroid related, might be menopause related, I'm really not sure. I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing has worked so far. I'm trying to stay with the mindset - I am healthy, I can move, I am fortunate..... For me I think the weight is more vanity related than anything else. My energy is improving so I'm thankful for that. My BF said he doesn't notice any weight gain, but I'm going up in pant sizes and I know it's there. I have no secret to what will help though.
Yes, yes, I hear you! I've gained 15# in the past year or so, and nothing I've tried has worked to get it off. People also haven't noticed. My friends are shocked when I tell them I've put on this much weight (and I believe they are being sincere!) In my case, I think this is because it's pretty evenly distributed all over me. It stinks, but I've just decided to ditch all my clothes that don't fit well or make me feel good. If I manage to get it off at some point, I'll just get some new things.

Anyway, back to the OP, do you like mid-weight circuit workouts? That has always been my favorite type of training. By mid-weight I mean (for me) working with 8-10lb. dumbbells. Maybe 5s for smaller muscle groups and 15 for larger ones like lats. I find it's enough weight to maintain (or even build a little) muscle, it gets my heart rate up and it's fun because the exercises change every few minutes. Unlike a lot of cardio workouts that involve a lot of repetition. It's also a kind of one-stop shopping form of exercise. You get your strength training and cardio in at once, so very time-efficient.

As for eating, I'm with LoveVA on seeking nutrient-dense calories, vs. just a 'calories in/calories out' mentality.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-16, 12:39 PM  
mtngoat

Some work out of McMaster University suggests that a restricted calorie/high protein intake combined with weight and Hiit training encourages fat loss while maintaining, or even gaining, muscle. Here's a link to a CBC story on the study (not the study itself):

McMaster Study re: Fat Loss and Muscle Gain

The subjects of the study were young men, but the author says that they had similar results with women. He does state that the regime was grueling and likely not sustainable in the long run.

eta: A lot of great work is coming out of McMaster University!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build muscle and lose fat, fat loss, fitday.com, how to lose fat, last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, lose fat, over 50, successful weight loss