Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-21, 08:32 AM  
ChelePA

Peloton versus the competitors

So my husband wanted to surprise me for my birthday with a spin bike. I am missing my cycling classes so much since Covid hit. Not sure when I would feel comfortable returning. I really like the energy of the class. But I also like the possibility of being able to do workouts at home whenever I want. He was afraid of making a big purchase without consulting me first. Just curious if anyone could provide insight on what’s available on the market. Pros and cons? Thanks so much!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 08:45 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I have just started to look into this, but not in a serious way. But overall what I have learned is you can get a very good bike for half the price of a Peloton, and then subscribe to the Peloton app for $15 a month, where it is $40 a month for a Peloton bike owner. You lose some data (leaderboards? or something?) but you still have access to all the classes.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say!

Happy Birthday!
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 09:02 AM  
IceQueen07

I bought a Sole Fitness bike a couple of years ago and use the app streamed to my TV. Saved a lot of money. I thought about the Peloton, but the monitor is only good for the workouts. No other internet access on it. If I could have accessed the internet for other workouts probably would have considered the Peloton more.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 09:06 AM  
sherry7899

You can cast the Peloton app to an Amazon fire stick:

https://techthanos.com/firestick/pel...ur%20FireStick.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 10:14 AM  
Leonana

I enjoyed this video on using the Peloton app with a cheaper bike. She goes into details about the pros and cons. She also has a link to another similar video.

https://youtu.be/Kya6mi4xPks
Old 02-27-21, 10:19 AM  
ChelePA

Thanks for the information. I was definitely leaning towards using the app. Didn’t realize how expensive it was monthly and you have to sign up for a year if you purchase the bike. My husband told me not to worry about the cost since he and my daughter want to buy it as a gift. But I definitely want to get my bang for my buck. I need to look at other bikes to see what would work best. Keep the posts coming. You are all very knowledgeable.
Old 02-27-21, 01:26 PM  
TracyQ

Happy Birthday.

Jessica Valant, a Pilates instructor on YouTube posted this video on why she chose a Schwin over the Peloton.

https://youtu.be/CCFwE598vGo

Coincidentally this is the bike that I have. I bought it on Amazon for $450 in 2019. It’s now $599. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the Peloton but it’s sufficient for what I need.

I used to love live classes but have come to enjoy cycling at home and have absolutely no interest of ever returning to the gym. I use the Peloton app and do at least 3 cycling workouts a week. They have a huge variety of workouts (not just cycling—you may be able to get a free trial.)

Another thing you may want to consider is that Peloton has an 8-10 week back log on delivery.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 07:15 PM  
ChelePA

I’m thinking the Schwinn IC4 might have everything I’m looking for. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-28-21, 05:08 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

I have a Peloton and I love it!! BUT, I had a Schwin ICPro that I had bought in 1999 (or 2000?) that I loved. I used the Peloton App when using the Schwin for a couplle of years before I bought the Peloton. My Schwin didn't have a cadence meter or show resistance and also had cages on the pedals, instead of cleats. But that was the only downside to it and that was because I bought it so long ago lol.

To make a long story short.......I love my Peloton, but you could definitely get as good of a workout from one of the other bikes and the app. I use the app for running on my treadmill almost everyday. I never pay attention to the leaderboard

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 12:36 PM  
ChelePA

Thanks so much for all the input. I told my husband the Schwinn would be fine for my needs but he was disappointed that it would take 10 weeks to ship. After lots of research, he bought me a Stryde. I'm so excited! I miss my cycling classes so much! Very similar to Peloton but you have internet access right on the monitor for any app. It also allows you to see your cycling stats on the same screen. I'll update once I have used it a few times...fingers crossed!

Tags
exercise bike, peloton, spin bike, spin bikes