Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-26-21, 04:40 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post

Hydrow: While I would love one, I spent the big bucks on my non-Peloton spin bike. Even used, it wasn’t cheap. DH has been using the el cheapo rower too, and we decided that if we’re still using it consistently in a year, we’ll consider an upgrade.

THIS ... is exactly what I said. I started with a cheap pro form rower and learned to row. Then went on to a water rower that my son gave me (he didn't use it and wanted it to have a good home.) My thoughts are: If I use it continuously for a year and still enjoy it - I will go the Hydrow route !!! (if I don't cave earlier). I just went back to look at my workout log!! Good news? I've been rowing consistently since August. I have been rowing with the Hydrow app for 17 weeks. I had no idea it was 7 months I'd been rowing consistently .... and STILL loving it.

Keep talking up the Hydrow Daphne! It could be sooner than I think. . . .

(but still hoping Peloton comes out with one.)

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 11:56 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Cleda--there are rumors of a Peloton rower: https://www.pelobuddy.com/peloton-rower/.
Old 02-26-21, 02:19 PM  
Daphne M

Mollie - The Peloton rower has been long-rumored. I originally was holding out for Peloton to come out with its rower so I could save money on subscriptions and subscribe to just one (Peloton), instead of two (Peloton and Hydrow). It turns out that I love my Hydrow subscription beyond anything I get from my Peloton app, so it worked out the right way for me. Now if Peloton does eventually produce a rower *and* they were to do their rows outside on the water like Hydrow does, I would be impressed, but it would take that and more to tempt me away from Hydrow.

In praise of Hydrow - (My not-so-subtle way of tempting Cleda) - This morning I got to row on my beautiful, smooth, quiet, tough rower to one of my favorite warm-ups. Rowing along with sweet, kind, cute Mike (British) on the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. He is chatting away when a 10-point buck swims out into the river right behind him. It's amazing, this giant antlered head swimming along in the water. Then right after that I did a 15 minute row with cute girl Mac on the St Johns River in Jacksonville where she is completely wreathed by fog -- to the point where it's hard to see anything but her red top. And then, suddenly something big with a long skinny tail dives down in the water next to the boat -- YIKES! Some kind of giant water rat, I think. There have been dolphins leaping alongside the scull in Miami, often runners and cyclists on paths paralleling the waterway, kayakers, jet skiers, dogs barking from their backyards. I am waiting for my first gator sighting. I have a feeling the strokes per minute will go through the roof on that one.

Alison - 12" box jump - YOU GO! You've got that spring in your legs already. I can do the jump UP part, but I do not stick the landing. Probably a score of -2 on the landing, as a matter of fact. 1 meter per stroke on your rower - oh no!

Pratima - I have had adventures with my Garmin speed and cadence sensors since I put them on my bike. Mounting them was easy, but I have not paired them correctly yet and the result is endlessly entertaining.
Sometimes the speed sensor gives instant feedback on the Connect app on my smartphone, other times it is hours before it syncs up with my smartphone. And -- get this -- a mysterious workout showed up on my app -- it showed that someone rode a 1/2 mile on my bike at a few minutes after midnight! What? I will get it all figured out eventually and it's definitely an improvement over the completely unworkable Trek Incite computer I was using previously.

Vannie - I completely understand the outrage over the theft. I felt the same when someone stole all four wheels off my daughter's car one night when it was parked in front of our house. Pre-planned, expensive and made me feel so vulnerable that they would come back and steal again.

Pratima - Ooh those outside iFit workouts do tempt me.

Me - With Nema gone (it still hurts to write that), I've extended my weekday workouts a little longer and I've added on more variety. I have a run-bike-rideathon to start training for, after all! It's all good, but if I don't record my workouts right away, it's like a full forensic investigation to try to reconstruct what I did. Open Hydrow app, open Peloton app, open Garmin Connect app, look to see if I left any DVDs sitting out. It's downright awesome that I have so many options even if I am often confused by them.

Recent workouts:
Tues - Short 1.25 mile run (surprise! hidden ice! turn around and go back home) + 30 minute row (Mike "Finding Happiness" - almost made me cry) + 15 minute Peloton cycling (Denis, classic rock, lots of fun although have I mentioned how hard cycling is) + 5 minute Peloton core (Ben, who has become a favorite)
Weds - 3.5 mile with only minimal ice-evasion maneuvers required + 15 minute Peloton "Low Impact" ride with Emma + 5 minute Hydrow R&B cooldown with Dani + Hydrow 15 minute "Gentle Whole Body Pilates." Why is it always the so-called "gentle" workouts that leave me so sore afterward?
Thurs -25 minute walk with a podcast + 5 minute Peloton "Arms Toning" with Ben + 5 minute Peloton Core Strength with Ben.
Today - Run 3 miles. No ice! Paradise! Hydrow row 20 minutes (Mac, fog, big a$$ water rat) + 10 minute Peloton Legs & Glutes with Selena + 20 minute Peloton beginner ride with Leeanne + 5 minute Hydrow upper body mobility with Peter (tall Irishman) and Nick (even taller cutie).

To sum up the week -- oh my aching booty.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 03:15 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Today was my active rest day, so I did Earth Body Yoga this morning and what was planned to be an easy Peloton ride with the London ladies: Hannah F’s 80s ride and Leanne’s 60s ride. But the music was so good in both rides that I kept forgetting to keep it easy. Oh well!

For my workout plan, I’m going to keep what I’ve been doing one more week and then change things up. I want to get Pilates back in the rotation, and Friday hikes should be possible again soon.

Daphne: I’m so glad you like Denis and Ben. I do a lot of Ben’s rides too. He’s a little different on the bike, and sometimes he’s not my favorite there, but I usually like his rides.

Mollie: I too have read about the Peloton rower rumors. If they’re in a studio, I’m not that interested. That’s how the Fitness+ ones are, and it’s not as nice as what I’ve seen of the Hydrow samples. Peloton has some outdoor ride-along rides without instructors, which I haven’t yet tried yet but keep meaning to. Maybe their rowers will have the same option. That would make it interesting.

Race: I was looking at the website for the actual version of our race. It looks really nice! Maybe someday in person! Our Alaska cruise for this August was just cancelled, so I’m bummed about that. I booked it in 2019 before all this craziness started (it was to celebrate that all 4 of us have milestone birthdays in the next year). We decided to go to the Outer Banks instead. Our usual house, and most others, were already booked, but I found one that hopefully will be nice. At least it’s something to look forward to with a much lower chance of being cancelled.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 07:50 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Sadly ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
Cleda--there are rumors of a Peloton rower: https://www.pelobuddy.com/peloton-rower/.
I don't take much stock in these rumors. They have been floating around FOREVER. (I would love to be wrong in this case!!! so keep researching and posting for me.) Perhaps if the pandemic didn't hit, it would have come through this year. But the Pandemic changed everything.

I think I read and it could have been in pelobuddy (since I'm an avid reader) that they test all sorts of equipment, so just because they have it doesn't mean they're doing it. AND ... they register the domain names way far in advance, "JUST in case. " (that was in that article. . . .) )

I do wonder though - if they would be outdoor rows or in the studio. I think I agree with Daphne, I like the outdoor rows. Although with Dark Horse, I've done them both.

and then there is the buy out of the other exercise equipment company ... forget the name now. So I suppose there is hope.

:: sigh ::

so I wait. and I wait and I wait ..... (not sure how much longer I can hold out though. In all honesty if my son had not given me this water rower - I would have pulled the trigger on a Hydrow a longgggggggg time ago. I want to get lots of use out of this "gift". But dh says it squeaks horribly. I don't hear it as I have earbuds in. I was rowing the other morning and he came over and was listening all over. tee-hee. . . That might just be my catalyst to the hydrow. . . Stay tuned.

Daphne: i do believe there was a baby alligator on one of Mac's rows. They were talking about it on FB. I don't know if it was my 60s group or the main one. But they said, "Yeah - could you imagine it would be like a BIG MAC ATTACK". which went over ... like a lead ballon. as you can imagine. and someone reminded the readers that they won't bother people and that it was a baby one and blah, blah, blah ...... I don't know which row it was though.

Anyway ... back to your check in. I will re evaluate in 5 months when I hit my year of rowing. OR .... tomorrow - if the mood strikes. Ya'all know me.

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 03:03 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm trying to work out a doable plan for the month. I need to start my training for the virtual row/bike/run tri and yesterday a friend said she's doing BeSLAM Remastered and asked if I would do kettlebells along with her for accountability and of course I said yes. And I don't want to give up jumping rope and am trying to do more Pilates and yoga. Arghh! Yes, I always try to take on too much!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 07:21 AM  
Vantreesta

Happy March! I was up by 6 so it feels like it's gonna be a good day! First on the agenda is getting my spreadsheets updated and printed. I was rather ADD yesterday flitting about, forgetting what I was in the middle of and starting smthg new. I did spend 2 hours with my bike, but it wasn't a workout, it was trying to get my wheel back on, with many texts and pictures sent to my dad and brother. Trying to help someone fix something they can't see was tricky! I finally got it all aligned and back together and on the trainer and then the brakes were hitting the wheel and it would only turn with great effort. That's when I hit my patience and persistence limit and lost it. Hubby looked at it for me and apparently there was a bulge in the tire somehow. The guy at the bike shop had fully aired it up for me but that meant it would no longer fit in btwn the brakes and despite all the text help and YouTube, I could not get the brakes loosened so I finally had to let air out of the tire to fit it into the space. When I aired it back up I guess I did smthg wrong! It seems like it sounds different from before but I will try it out and see if hubby needs to make any other adjustments for me. I was surprised and pleased with myself that I lasted 2 hours and didn't give up until I just couldn't figure it out. I am not known for my patience or frustration tolerance!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-01-21, 11:22 AM  
Daphne M

Happy March! (Echoing Vannie because easing into March makes me so happy.) I love how much more daylight we have now compared to one month ago.

Vannie - Very impressed with your patience on getting the bike tire and the trainer to cohabitate. I've got my fingers crossed that you are all set. What kind of bike do you have on your trainer? I remember trying to pedal my hybrid on a trainer and those fat tires made it ridiculously hard. I too am trying to figure out a workable training plan for March. (More on that below.)

Cleda - You are killing it these days. So impressive. (No need to respond here; I know you're officially in the other check-in and I get that. One is enough for me too.)

Alison - You gotta love it when the music on the Peloton ride is so good that you get sucked into the workout. Have you noticed your music tastes expanding since you starting using Peloton? Mine did. And I totally get what you're saying about Ben being different on the cycling workouts vs strength. I haven't done a ride with him yet, but I've noticed that the instructors always seem to turn their personalities up an extra notch on the bike, compared to when they're doing tread or strength workouts.

Pratima - You're on the other page, so I'll just wave at you today.

Me -
Saturday - ended up being an unplanned rest day. I woke up with a mild migraine and that was my excuse, but it subsided on its own and the real reason I didn't work out is that I couldn't decide what to do, so I ended up doing nothing. I don't feel guilt about rest days because my body usually lets me know that the recovery is helping me get stronger -- but a weekend rest day does leave me with regrets because I had so much extra time that went unused.
Sunday - Went for a 10K rainy run that turned out to be wonderful. Such beautiful scenery. I just put my music on shuffle and every song hit right. Came back home and did a tough 30-minute row (with Aquil, such a joyful, interesting man). I bonked about 20 minutes in but was determined to hold my split steady and I did. Stared at the wall blankly for about 5 minutes afterward, then forced myself over to the bike and did a short 20 minute ride with Ally. Spoiler alert: I did not give it my all! There was a whole lot of her standing while I just kept sitting. But I got 'er done.

Miscellaneous comments:
I am figuring out a general weekly workout plan for each week in March month so I won't torture myself with too many choices every morning. There are 6 different kinds of workouts that I want to keep rotating: outdoor runs, tread bootcamps, rowing, cycling, strength/core work and mobility work. I should probably be focusing on cycling the most***, because that's the one I am worst at and also the one that will take the longest to do on our virtual run-ride-rowathon. (***But I won't. Just because I'm making a plan doesn't mean I have to be adult about it!)

Outdoor rows vs. indoor rows - Ha! Do you have to even ask where I fall on that spectrum?
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event

Last edited by Daphne M; 03-01-21 at 11:27 AM. Reason: compulsiveness about formatting
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 04:53 PM  
Vantreesta

Mon 3/1 0 minutes
7 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 3) MON
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT) MON
28 minutes (from 2.0 mi for 10k trainer wk3 day3/Ambient Osaka Cherry Blossoms walk 1/Zombies Run S3M29 repeat) MON 1st time for Ambient
16 minutes (from L. Brooks Shut Up and Train workout 1) MON 1st time 16
10 minutes (from Quick Fix Pilates Abs -Stabilization) MON
13 minutes (from Strong Knees stretch)

Didn't get started till noon so I was too hungry to do Fightmaster yoga like I had planned. My hamstring tendons are hurting again today so I kept the kettlebells light and didn't go deep in swings and deadlifts. Before breakfast I got hubby's laundry done and bathrooms cleaned. This really seems to be the best way for me, at least right now, have one big chore done before breakfast and then I don't feel guilty working out or dreading that I still have to clean.

Old 03-02-21, 08:41 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Happy March! It was starting to get light out as I finished my workout this morning. I know that will change once daylight savings time hits, but it was enjoyable this morning!

I finished last week with a Sam ride, AOS kettlebells, Adrian abs, and Denis stretch on Saturday, and triple Denis ride Sunday—90s, 80s, and cool down. Yesterday was Mobility Rx and floor lower body and then a Denis Power Zone ride. This morning I was wide awake from 3:15 on, so I started my workout early and already did my ride with Sam, Body Pump, and core with Ben. I still need to row at lunchtime.

I biked every day in February! I didn’t plan it, but it turned out that way. I totaled 234.8 miles, all on the spin bike, all with Peloton rides. I’m happy about that. I only ran 2.34 miles and hiked 4.9, but that’s okay for February.

It’s going to be a rough day after barely getting any sleep. I actually had been sleeping better for a few nights until last night.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote