Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-05, 10:48 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

What do you miss from old workouts?

I did Firm Super Cardio Sculpt this morning, and was thinking that my first workouts were the Firm volumes 1 and 2 videos. I miss two things that were in those--the stretches and floorwork.

I loved those long stretches (sometimes using a towel, not that I ever used one), including stretches for the feet! I just do my own after most workouts now.

I also miss the lower body floorwork that those old Firms ended with. I was under the impression that all workout videos had half cardio, half weights, and a good shot of floorwork at the end.

Hmm, I also miss some of the outfits, believe it or not. Especially after watching the clip for that ENVY thing.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 11:02 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
I miss two things that were in those--the stretches and floorwork.
I'd have to agree. A lot of more recent workouts skimp quite a bit in stretches. And I like the results floorwork gives me!

I also miss more basic choreography in step workouts (seems like everyone wants to go faster and more dancy and more compllicated all the time), even some of the basic straddle moves, turn steps, etc. in Kathy Smith's Step workout (which I should just get out and do, shouldn't I?)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 11:43 AM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

I miss being able to keep track of what's out there! In recent years there have been so many new workouts that it's harder to find things I like.

My solution? Stick with the older ones since I have more than I can use regularly anyway!
Anne V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 12:08 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I miss workouts being 60 minutes.

I agree that when the floorwork was included in the workout, I actually did it.
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 12:32 PM  
Barb
VF Supporter

It's funny that you started this thread Pratima. I recently pulled out my old Firm Classics (and was able to buy my missing #2 from a lovely person at the ya yas) and have been having a wonderful time. These workouts are a real blast from the past! And I agree, that I love the floorwork and stretching! And even all of the Easter egg colors of the workout wear!

My only problem is that they don't seem to have enough cardio for me - so I've been adding on a 30 minute cardio with Cathe. (I guess after 10-15 years - I'm in better shape than I was when I started working out! LOL! Thank goodness for that!)
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 12:36 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I'm another one who pines for the stretch segments in older Firm workouts. I did Volume 6 this morning in part because I wanted a good stretch after my weights work and didn't feel like having to tack on another workout.

I also miss gadget-free weights and cardio workouts. Step and dumbbells, OK. Barbell, fine. More than that - sculpting sticks and medicine balls and bands and squishy balls and High Steps and inclining steps - and I get antsy. It makes the workouts so choppy when I'm always switching equipment after a three-minute segment.

Allison
Old 12-29-05, 12:48 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Glad to see I'm not the only one nostalgic about those old workouts.

Thought of another one--I miss those do-it-all-in-an-hour workouts! OK, they often don't include enough cardio, but I used to do a Firm workout every other day and was in awesome shape! I got it all--cardio, strength, and a good stretch--in about an hour.

Now you need like 11 videos to get it all!

I do two day weight splits, or one body part a day, or whatever, but sometimes you just want to hit everything in an hour and it seems really hard to find newer workouts that do that.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 01:12 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

Most workouts today have alot of equipment. I like simple workouts with just dumbbells & a step or stability ball & weights. Also step workouts go at break neck speed with twists, turns and hops. I would love another step workout like Intense Moves only 1 hour long (this includes warm-up, cool-down and a GOOD stretch.

BTW nothing beats a classic Firm for getting a workout done in 1 hour.

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 01:12 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10
I also miss gadget-free weights and cardio workouts. Step and dumbbells, OK. Barbell, fine. Allison
As much as I love my bodybar, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I also hate searching for workouts to go with the toys.
It is why I won't buy a BOSU. I've seen the workout selection and it ain't much!

I'm still trying to justify my pilates ring purchase

I want simple, tough workouts, no NEW equipment necessary. Linda

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 01:16 PM  
SurferGirl

I also miss basic choreography in any workout.

I find that it's harder for me to workout in the morning if I know I'm going to do a workout that's gonna have me thinking too hard so early. The main workouts I do are pretty old. (Esquire/Great Body, Cosmopolitan, 29 Minute Workouts-I love these)
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage workouts