Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-05, 10:30 PM  
blue_hydrangea

What do you look for in an exercise video review?

I'm curious...what do you look for when you're reading a review on an exercise video? What helps you to decide whether or not you'll give the workout a try?
blue_hydrangea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 10:52 PM  
DeQuendre2

I like to see several things. I like the reviewer to identify her/his fitness level and the level she or he thinks the workout is. I like to see the words advanced, high intensity, complex choreography for aerobic workouts--or the reviewer to point out where the workout falls along this continuum. I also find it very helpful when reviewers compare the workout with another popular workout to give us readers some point of reference. I dislike it when every review gives a complete breakdown of the workout; one is enough. Of course, never having written an official review, maybe there's a reason that happens that I am not aware of.

I personally don't give as much weight to set, clothes, music, etc, but I do like to know they all "fit" and "flow" or if they are particularly good. I am becoming more concerned with production value: lighting, camera work (particularly if the camera is not where you need it to be when you are learning a new move), audio, etc. We pay good money for these things, so whatever a reviewer can write to assure me I am getting value is good. I'm sure there are others things I can't think of now.
DeQuendre2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 08:35 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I like to see specific why the person does or does not like the workout. I like a few details about the workout - what the person thinks is important - like the length, the types of moves in the workout, etc. I also like the context of the person themselves - their fitness level, what type of workouts they most enjoy, etc.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 08:38 AM  
stacydan

Reviews

What she said!

Plus, I like to know the moves being performed, for example if it is a strength workout, I want to know the exercises so I can make sure it is not exactly like another workout I have, plus, many exercises I have to modify, so if a workout has several of my "problem" exercises, there is no sense in me buying it. I don't mind substituting one or two, but if I am subbing more than that, I'm not doing the same workout!

Also, does the instructor give form pointers, does he or she demonstrate proper form and offer modifications for other levels.

For cardio workouts, I need to know the level, the complexity, if it is dancy, athletic, contains lots of twists and turns that may be difficult on carpet, how much is high impact and how modifiable it is. One such review saved me from buying a workout that had so much high impact in it, I knew me and my knees would not like it.

And, I would like to know if the dvd is chaptered!
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 08:42 AM  
DD1

I love a variety. I would never write a fully detailed, minute-by-minute synopsis of a video but I appreciate having those to read through when I'm shopping

Generally I like to hear someone give a general synopsis and basic comments about the video. If you read enough of them, you will get the general drift

Dee
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 08:43 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

If a review finds a workout exceptional, I'd like to know why. Same if the reviewer finds it irritating. Many times I'll think "Oh, outfits don't bug me much" or "Whooping? I'm outa here!!" LOL!!

its nice to know if a strength workout is traditional weightlifting, compound moves, or more innovative stuff. With cardio, I want to know the intensity, and most importantly - how complex is the cardio! Also, did you like the music? If so, why?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 09:38 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I definitely want to know how long the workout is--the numbers on the box aren't always accurate (Collage is pretty good, but they don't carry everything), and many people don't include this info in their reviews.

As others have said, I want to know WHY the person liked or disliked the workout. Also, there doesn't have to be a breakdown of all of the moves, but I like to at least see some examples of what types of exercises are included. But ultimately, I say the more reviews the merrier, no matter what they say!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 11:58 AM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

Short and Sweet

Concise, well thought out reviews with a touch of humor. General things: level, complexity, cueing , and anything odd, irritating, or terrific. Comparisons to other workouts is also helpful.
Anne V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 01:10 PM  
gxm17
VF Supporter

Length, level, whether modifications are shown, equipment required. I once bought a workout based on its one review only to find out that it required gym equipment... which I don't have.

Because lunges and squats bother my knees, I always look to see if they're part of the routine.

It's especially nice when there are lots of reviews for a workout because then you can get a bigger picture.

gina
gxm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 07:57 PM  
KathAL79

I like to know

who's the instructor
what kind of workout and a general idea of the exercises included
how long it is
what level (more or less)--intensity/complexity/etc.
what equipment is needed
how much space is needed (more or less)
specific details backing up claims to like / dislike
if there's something I need to know such as unsafe moves, bad form, etc.

I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten.

And, yes, my reviews don't always include this and are way too long, but I do try to touch upon these areas.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
writing reviews