Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-05, 05:46 AM  
janetb
VF Supporter

Pregnant after 40 (long)

Yes, this thread is about me, and it’s not hypothetical.

I few days ago, I took a home pregnancy test and it was positive. It’s a big surprise, but I’m really happy about this. I think I am, at least. The thing that is keeping me from being totally thrilled is the anxiety of being 40 years old and pregnant (with the increased risk of miscarriage and complications past 40).

My story: I’ve been infertile most I’ve my adult life. Hormonal imbalances (from PCOS) have prevented me from ovulating, so I rarely had naturally occurring periods. Most of the time, I’ve taken birth control pills to treat this problem. 9 years ago, thanks to the miracle of fertility drugs, DH and I were blessed with our wonderful twin daughters. Since then we felt that we would have loved to have another child, but I just didn’t feel right about doing the fertility treatments again. So I’ve been pretty much resigned to the fact that we were meant to have just 2 kids.

Fast forward to six months ago: I had to go off the Pill for a couple of months mysteriously found myself having periods for the 1st time in my life at age 40. (How weird is that?) We decided not to use birth control and just let nature take it’s course. So we weren’t really trying to conceive (it would have been impossible, anyway, with my irregular cycle), but we weren’t trying to prevent it.

So here I am now, pregnant. It just seems way too good to be true! So maybe that’s why I’m freaking out about the over 40 factor. I’ve never had any issues about reaching 40 before. It’s just a number after all. But I do know that there are increased risks at my age, so I’m trying to be realistic in my expectations.

Hopefully, I can just make it though the 1st trimester, and get past the miscarriage risk. Then we can finally tell the girls (They will be so thrilled!) and everyone else. There’s really a lot to feel positive about. I’ve never miscarried before, and already did well with one high risk (twin) pregnancy with no complications. And in a lot of ways I’m healthier today (with better eating/exercise habits) and better adjusted for parenthood (I was a very stressed-out graduate student last time).

Anyway, that’s it. Any positive affirmations or advice would be appreciated.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 06:11 AM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

When you are high-risk, the 1st trimester is the toughest to get thru. Never been pregnant after 40 but have always been considered high-risk with both of my pregnancies.(After repeated miscarriages I had my first child at 33 and my last child at 35)

Discuss your concerns with your Dr. and do alot of research on the net (if you are able to withstand alot of horror stories). Also note that the Dr may want to take you off of exercise other than walking. There again make sure to discuss your concerns with him

Enjoy yourself as much as possible. Being pregnant is a wonderful experience.

Good Luck,

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 06:11 AM  
Debbie555

I found myself pregnant at the age of 37 (gave birth at 38). I had three children at the time ages 9,10 and 12--I thought that was it for me. I was truly shocked and also a little worried because of my age. Honestly, the pregnancy was just like all of my other pregnancies, no problems or complications and hey, I never even had morning sickness so no difference because of my age. Also, I had a natural childbirth with her whereas my three other children were c sections.

There's a celebrity that comes to mind (Andrian something?) that I think had twins at 50? I think if you are in good health and have regular visits to the dr. you really don't have anything to worry about, 40 is not that old.

At any rate, she is 12 1/2 years old now. She is truly a blessing and I can't imagine life without her.
Debbie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 06:18 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Well first of all ... Congratulations!!! Sending very good vibes and thoughts your way!! Hang in there and keep us posted!!

Carol
Old 12-14-05, 06:43 AM  
ooty

Congratulations! Best wishes! Don't worry, lots of people have babies after 40. And there are lots of medical tests to make sure everything is progressing well.
Dunno what else to say, just happy to see happy posts and the way all of you share with this forum.
Old 12-14-05, 06:52 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Congratulations!

My twin sister and I will be 41 next month. My 4 kids are ages 8 thru 15, but her little girls are 2 1/2 and just turning 1. She is trying for number three now.

She is keeping up with her workouts, and she feels and looks great. I think there are benefits to being a bit more mature when you have babies. She enjoys her kids in ways I never could when I was in my twenties.

You'll do great. Best of luck to all of you!

Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 07:17 AM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

Congratulations, Janet!

I'm sure I'd probably be a bit worried myself (since I tend to be a worrier anyway ). But, I'm betting everything will go smoothly for you. You're only 40...not 50. You've already had a successful full term pregnancy (IIRC, "they' get far more concerned if your first birth comes at an older age). 40 is JUST a number. And like you said, you're healthier now than ever before .

Enjoy the unexpected turn your life has taken! LOL, the big thing I know I'd have some serious trouble with at my ripe old age of 44 is the lack of sleep....those newborns like to dine at such freakish hours .

Wow, what an amazing gift for all of you. Your daughters are going to be beside themselves with joy once you feel free to share this news with them .
Old 12-14-05, 07:21 AM  
sahaffie

Smile

as the child of a mother who was 42 when I was born, I can tell you that it is a wonderful thing to be that "surprise baby". My father always says I was very welcomed and saved him from a midlife crisis (too busy to be buying a corvette when you're chasing a toddler!)
sahaffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 07:26 AM  
lwseymour

Hi Janet

Janet, Congratulations! I just wanted to say that here at my office women are having babies at 40 or more all the time with no complications at all.
Take care,
Lisa
lwseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 07:43 AM  
Erica H.

Congratulations!

Wow - your story sounds so similar to mine. I have PCOS and struggled with infertility for years. I had a single birth and then a twin birth from fertility treatments. Years later - at the age of 33 - I got my first period without meds and they continued about 7 weeks apart. I was pregnant 5 months later. I was in total shock because I never thought that could happen.

I understand why you're worried and I would be too (I worry about everything!). Yes, the risks are higher at 40, but remember that the odds are in your favor that you will have a healthy pregnancy.

Take care and try to enjoy the pregnancy!

Congratulations again,

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote