Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-03, 06:04 PM  
shamrockquinn
VF Supporter

Does anyone do water aerobics?

I tried something different today at my pool - a water aerobics class.

It's easier to fit in video workouts when my kids are in school, but when they're home for the summer, all they do is sit and stare at me and recite the mantra (c'mon moms, say it with me...there's nothing to DO there's nothing to EAT there's no one to PLAY with...

Anyway, I noticed my pool was offering water aerobics... I thought a good way to combine kids & my workout. I have to say it was really fun - very social. The resistance created by the currents people create was pretty remarkable. I also liked "pushing down" two kickboards into the water. They feel a little like push-ups, which for me are a nightmare. I liked being able easily change to the closer grip pushup, which engage your triceps nicely. I can NEVER do them the regular way.

Has anyone else tried this? Does anyone know anything about water aerobics? Do you think it's a worthwhile use of workout time?

Joanne
Old 06-24-03, 06:19 PM  
gimmat
VF Supporter

I have taken water aerobics at the local college, and I was so surprised how good a work out it is! I love swimming, but since I burn too easily, I avoid the outdoor pools. I also don't like lap swimming, so this was a great way for me to get in the water and play.

I need to look into this again now!
gimmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 07:12 PM  
Caryn C
VF Supporter

My 69 year old mom (residing in Florida) does it 3 - 4 times a week all year round and she is rock solid! She took it up because traditional exercise was hurting her back and knees. Every time I go down to see her she tries to drag me into the pool for a class by telling me how hard she works and that she even works up a sweat in the water (of course the pool is heated to 90 degrees).

Caryn
Caryn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 08:45 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Back when I belonged to a gym I'd take water aerobics! I really enjoyed it, especially in the summer time! I could workout hard & not get drippy wet with sweat, drippy wet, but in a refreshing way! Plus it's easy on your joints. Enjoy!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 09:36 PM  
RebeccaVT

I've been doing it about 3x per week now for a couple of months now, and I love it.

It is a deceptive workout... the first time I did it I didn't really feel like I was getting much of a workout, but the next day... boy did I feel it! The lack of sweat can fool you.

I don't know a whole lot about it, other then what we do at our class. After warming up, we put on those foam belts with our foam dumbells, and go into the deep end for the aerobics portion. This involves doing moves like "x-country skiing", bicycles, and jumping jacks (arm movements are done underwater using the dumbells). The resistance created by the water, the currents and the dumbells makes it quite challenging. I believe you can also get weighted shoes to make the work out even more intense.

The best part about it for me is that even though it's a good efficient workout, it doesn't exhaust me, so on most days I'm able to get in a second full workout in (I'll either do a video earlier in the day, swim some laps or just use the stationary bike at the pool for an extra 30 minutes.) I'm still kind of new to exercising, that I know if I tried to do 2 full "land" workouts in one day, I'd wear myself out very fast.

Rebecca
RebeccaVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 10:05 AM  
gamber

I tried this 3 or 4 times. I haven't continued because the amount of chlorine I was inhaling at the hard aerobic level I was hitting was making me sick. My head so close to the water, it was very uncomfortble. Also, it was hard to really get a good workout as the pool was very full, mostly of people who were barely moving at all. Some were just floating in the water doing absolutely nothing but taking up space!! Very annoying. Anyway, I really would have loved to add this in to my workout variety, but it didn't work out.
gamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 04:09 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I've done water aerobics classes at the local YMCA for the last couple of years. There are deep-water classes, which were described above. I take the shallow-end classes, which are more traditional aerobics. You jump around and do different aerobic moves.

It has been great, especially since I can do high-impact moves that have no impact because of the water. I would work up a pretty good sweat doing them, if it weren't for the water. There have been different instructors, so you get a variety of moves and intensity levels.

I'd recommend them to people. They are a good alternative to videos. Of course, videos are my main source of exercising. I just supplement with the water aerobics classes.

Laura
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 05:46 PM  
jstoner80

My community pool offers water aerobics three times a week. It's seasonal because it's an outdoor pool. I can't wait for them to start, they will replace my usual cardio workouts for the summer. Great fun, good workout, plus I can bring my kids and they can swim in the other part of the pool while I work out.
jstoner80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-03, 12:36 AM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

YES!

I did water aerobics three days a week while I was recovering from a step injury this past winter and spring. It's great, and I was surprised at how challenging it is when you really give it 100%. It helps to go a little deeper than chest level when you're doing the rebounding (shallow end) type and the deep water is consistently challenging. I do prefer resistance training on land, though. I just never got used to the buoys--hard on my tendonitis-prone wrists, I think. One day, a sub instructor brought these neat hand paddles, which I tried out for the resistance training. Those were great, no pain and they gave me good resistance.

But back to the aerobic part! I had a great instructor who never let me get bored, came up with great drills, and really motivated me to work hard the whole hour. She's only teaching one day a week now. I can't complain because I haven't been to class in over a month. I prefer to do a tape at home, but I really enjoyed water aerobics when I was doing it several times a week. Hope I get back into it with the hot weather!
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-03, 08:07 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Arent they great?

I've taken them at the University where I work. What a lot of fun! They are great int he summer because you dont get all sweaty. But in the winter, brrrr! I just cant do it. Its really neat, they use water weights, plus aerobics. Fun!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquatics